Wonga and NUFC

peasepud

Now see , this is what I tried t avoid. You're rebuttal was Google Barclays , insinuating that they so the same business

But balls to this, you're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to think its misguided, vice versa etc.

You can't play the fooling regs card and then advertise them and say its fine cos the law hasn't changed. I'm pretty sure there's no law stopping me from shagging 14 year olds in Canada, but if I was, would you be happy to have my face / name across the shirt if I paid the same money, but then say well its Canadas fault for not regulating the age of consent at 16?

But balls to this, you're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to think its misguided, vice versa etc

Lending money and shagging 14 year olds is exactly the same thing.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It does nothing for the 'brand', in fact could mean our next potential sponsor steers clear and we're left scratching around for sponsors similar to wonga. It's embarrassing to the clubs 'dignatas' but this is what we are as a club under our rich owner (who pays peanuts to the majority of his zero hour contract employees). We had Newcastle Brown Ale as a sponsor? This Tyneside institution was/is worldwide brand which brought employment to our City for well over a century and their employees certainly weren't on zero hour contracts as I know as an ex-employee. To liken S&N to wonga is ludicrous. Ditto Northern Rock.

S&N who then abandoned the North East making people redundant but still using our iconic images to sell a product which is harmful to your health and addictive?Northern Rock who stockpiled toxic debt and had to be bailed out by the tax payer at huge costs to our living standards and wages.

S&N who then abandoned the North East making people redundant but still using our iconic images to sell a product which is harmful to your health and addictive?Northern Rock who stockpiled toxic debt and had to be bailed out by the tax payer at huge costs to our living standards and wages.

They didn't abandon the North East while they were our sponsor and believe me, I had more reason than most to be pissed off when they transferred to Yorkshire. S&N no longer exist as a local company as they have been owned by Heineken for a number of years. When they sponsored NUFC they were a Tyneside employer.

Wonga's a rubbish name for a shirt sponsor. Dunno where it comes from but when I hear it I picture Harry Enfield in his Loadsamoney days. Embarrassing/shit to wear that on your chest iyam.

it's just a shit brand, a shit logo and a shit name. it's tacky, but then so is the club now. just look at the sports direct crap plastered all over the stadium. we are a bargain basement club now. and it's regrettable that the highest bidder happened to be a pay day loan merchant. you'd rank them alongsides bookies and pound shops.

i was considering getting my little boy a full kit. he's at the age where he's starting to show an interest in football. all the other little lads at training are decked out in full arsenal, spurs or chelsea clobber. i want to get him the toon kit but that wonga logo is putting me off getting it, i must admit.

What view?

I'm a southerner for what it's worth and so are the vast majority of the people I come across on a daily basis.

edit; ah wait, I assume the view that you're referring to is what you're talking about on the top of this page. I don't think that's a commonly held view at all amongst us. Maybe it's different where you are but I think you're being OTT.

I've worked in maidenhead, reading, canary wharf and Guildford, all Tory, all think we are leeches.

I've had people ask just how bad is it, as they have genuinely never been north of Birmingham, at best. This is in every job I've had for the past 4 years. Most have never been further north than Watford gap.

Here's a quote from the London evening standard on Friday: (edit Tuesday)

The context is fracking

"This will upset many who don't agree with a city state, but London has subsidised the far north for too long. Fracking will allow these northern cities to finally make their own income and release the burden of mass unemployment and social problems that cost London so dearly"

It makes my blood boil, for too long? What you mean after the creation of the industrial revolution, north sea oil, manufacturing, coal etc. Is this unemployment and social unrest due to the fact that they raped us of all our industry, in the name of the city?

We can get coal cheaper from France! - yep until you destroy your domestic production, then watch the price rise.

So if this is fine to print in the local paper, I think you've been lucky in who you've met, or me unlucky.

Getting sponsored by Wonga doesn't help imo.

Lol, end rant. Honest :)

Edited by scoobos

I've worked in maidenhead, reading, canary wharf and Guildford, all Tory, all think we are leeches.

I've had people ask just how bad is it, as they have genuinely never been north of Birmingham, at best. This is in every job I've had for the past 4 years. Most have never been further north than Watford gap.

Here's a quote from the London evening standard on Friday:

The context is fracking

"This will upset many who don't agree with a city state, but London has subsidised the far north for too long. Fracking will allow these northern cities to finally make their own income and release the burden of mass unemployment and social problems that cost London so dearly"

It makes my blood boil, for too long? What you mean after the creation of the industrial revolution, north sea oil, manufacturing, coal etc. Is this unemployment and social unrest due to the fact that they raped us of all our industry, in the name of the city?

We can get coal cheaper from France! - yep until you destroy your domestic production, then watch the price rise.

So if this is fine to print in the local paper, I think you've been lucky in who you've met, or me unlucky.

Getting sponsored by Wonga doesn't help imo.

Lol, end rant. Honest :)

Which article is this from?

London evening standard on Tuesday last week, I'm packing as I'm working overseas for two years and grumbled at it this morning, as I tore it up for packing :)

Similar things are written and talked about in the office every week, a lot of guys down here do seem to think we are all miners with chips on our shoulders. I do have a Thatcher chip on my shoulder tho, most people loved her in my workplaces.

Hey, well we will see how lucky I am if I make it through the probationary period :)

I'm a freelance techy, subject matter expert for a niche Microsoft product called DPM (backup). The jobs full time tho and nothing to do with dpm, minimum 2 years after 3 months probation. I've not worked as a full time employee for 7 years, so it's going to be a challenge that could go either way.

That's my cover story anyway :->

I'm looking forward to coming back home to Newcastle after 2 years out there, when I get back it will be 15 years since I lived there :/ But I'll be waving goodbye to I.T.

Edited by scoobos

Ah well good luck with it all , it makes sure you Stephen Hawkins type lads get out and see a bit sun anyroad .

Was hoping you were gonna be doing something like running a seaside brothel not telling cunts how to reboot .

On serious note, good to have an eye ahead with a plan for the future .

I used to work in an office plugged into a computer for over a decade , pretty much couldn't get on with it and have since switched jobs to a totally different situation that doesn't involve sitting about with people and things I can't be fucking arsed with for 9 hours a day .

Worse dollar but happier for escaping said wheel of death .

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting piece about the Chronicle's impartiality being compromised re. Wonga.

http://markbrophy.wordpress.com/2013/09/04/chronicle-capitulation-to-wonga/

Chronicle Capitulation to Wonga

A few weeks ago it came to light that the Evening Chronicle, Newcastles main local evening paper, had entered into a joint scheme with payday lenders Wonga to provide a £30,000 fund for local sports clubs to apply to for funding. Wonga are Newcastle Uniteds main sponsors and theres been some discussion about the rights and wrongs of whether a company with their business model should be sponsoring the club. Even so, the Chronicle seemed to see no conflict of interest in entering such an arrangement with an organisation which was at the centre of controversy about sponsoring an institution so central to the city. Thats a controversy, not to put too fine a point on it, which the Chronicle should be informing and reporting upon to the citizens of Newcastle in a fair, balanced way. That involves examining the issues and providing their readers with the information necessary to understand whats going on.

The suspicion quickly arose that the Chronicles editorial independence may have been compromised, and so it proved. The language used to describe Wonga in the Chronicles pages had subtly changed. No more payday lender, replaced by digital finance company in all cases from a few days after the deal, certainly a less harsh description.

Further examination of recent stories provides evidence of the presence of a positive editorial line when printing stories about Wonga. View these two stories covering the same event, a meeting between Wonga PR chiefs, Newcastle United employees and fan representatives on Aug 19th. One is from the Chronicle, one from the Journal.

The Chronicles, despite having a picture showing a Citizens Advice Bureau representative and Newcastle Central MP Chi Onwurah, doesnt mention them or their contribution to the debate in any way. In 3 main sections, we are told firstly that fans are grateful to Wonga for turning up and secondly that the club are very happy to have Wonga as a sponsor. Finally, there are a series of quotes from the Wonga representatives explaining away their controversial image and concerns about their role as sponsor without ever mentioning what that controversy is about, or what the concerns are.

The Journal story is quite a contrast. From the off it has a completely different tone, while also covering the positive angle on the deal which is the only focus of the Chronicle story. We learn about a strongly-worded attack on the company by Chi Onwurah. There are quotes from Newcastle CABs Chief Executive expressing worry about the companys presence in the city. Theres mention of a question from the floor about fan hostility. The reasons for misgivings about the sponsorship deal are explained clearly and at length, and a long list of prominent organisations who share those misgivings is provided, from the Church of England, MPs, Unite the union, Newcastle City Council, and the Citizens Advice Bureau.

The two stories provide a completely different spin on the same event. What is shocking is that the two papers they appear in are sisters, both owned by Trinity Mirror, the Journal being the morning counterpart to the Chronicle in the evening. Not only are the two papers in the same stable, the two stories were written by the same person, reporter Kate Proctor. The only explanation for the differing slant in the two stories is editorial instruction. Why would the Journal be immune from this? Who knows. It appears to be the case however.

In a piece printed in the Chronicle tonight as a reaction to the recent transfer window, the question is asked of Newcastle owner Mike Ashley how much do you pay the North East Press pack to write nice things about you? The answer, in Wongas case, appears to be £30,000, the amount they provided for the Chronicles Wish Sport Fund

It's up to parliament to change the law on Wonga's dealings and that's something I feel strongly about. Football long since sold its soul to the capitalist devil, however, and considering it's our record sponsorship deal I suppose we ought to play the game to our advantage as best we can.

I'm sick of reading polemic on it, i'd like some real stories of the real harm to be able to make a better judgement about their impact on society.

Anyone?

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2012/mar/01/wonga-real-cost-payday-loan

According to this, it's usually those with nowhere else to turn that use them. They may not use a baseball bat to collect their debts but the principle is the same; once you're tied into their system you're likely to be theirs forever. Credit unions would appear to be a better option, but am not sure if even they'd lend to those on benefits or if they'd say they were a better option than a student loan @ 1.5% after your graduation and are earning in excess of 22k? a year.

Credit Unions lend to members who have been a member for X number of years normally and have obviously been saving with them.

people who can't get loans and can't pay it back, take out short term loan they can't afford and shouldn't take, then complain when they don't pay it back and there is penalties which they had agreeded to.

i've said it before i've no sympathy for people doing something like that knowing full well what is going be coming back to bite them on the arse.

Posted with all the empathy and understanding of someone whos never faced the choice between a loan shark and putting food on the kids plates.

There are millions of foolish people out there who don't deserve our sympathy, you're right. But there are many others who are truly hard up. Wonga doesn't differentiate between the two. That's the point.

Posted with all the empathy and understanding of someone whos never faced the choice between a loan shark and putting food on the kids plates.

There are millions of foolish people out there who don't deserve our sympathy, you're right. But there are many others who are truly hard up. Wonga doesn't differentiate between the two. That's the point.

And yet Wonga make HUGE profits, which means most folks can, and do, pay them back. For many they provide a useful service because the mainstream banks (many of which dwarf Wonga's profits) won't step into the breach.

If there wasn't a Wonga who would put food on the kids table when cash has run out.

Far less misery/lives destroyed by the likes of Wonga (if indeed any are) than booze and bookies and that's indisputable IMO.

And yet Wonga make HUGE profits, which means most folks can, and do, pay them back. For many they provide a useful service because the mainstream banks (many of which dwarf Wonga's profits) won't step into the breach.If there wasn't a Wonga who would put food on the kids table when cash has run out.Far less misery/lives destroyed by the likes of Wonga (if indeed any are) than booze and bookies and that's indisputable IMO.

Could it equally be said that Wongas profits are going through the roof because a. theyre attracting more customers due to their frequent adverts on national tv and b. those people are now on the debt treadmill, meaning they'll be in hoc to wonga until they die or are declared bankrupt? More customers=more folk into huge spiralling interest payments. Forever. Nice work if you can get it.

At least you seem to understand some people are blameless and get into trouble through no fault of their own. Ant on the other hand seems to have a sideline writing leader columns for the Daily Mail.