Other Games

Park Life

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's just that the teams between us and Europa aren't actually that good...neither are we of course, but it's starting to look like a level playing field. I guess we'll know after Everton.

Edited by Rayvin

Every shot of the crowd leaves me thinking that I wouldn't imagine any one of them would have something interesting to say.

they're absolute muppets. i live 35 miles from bham and they remind me so much of the mackems.

bad jokes, free tickets, kids for a fiver etc.

to sum them up this bloke put a picture of stoke's mostly empty away section whilst forgetting they have 10000 spare seats in their own area.

Surely that has to be some kind of a record though? Villa Park holds about 35k right? If 'a few' is less than 10, then it's like 20-25k people walking out. Many at half time.

That's just embarrassing.

Edited by Rayvin

They had 30k there today apparently. Lowest crowd this season, which is understandable, but it certainly wasn't 30k at full time. I'd be surprised if it was over 20k by the end.

Aye it looked canny empty by the end like, can't say I blame them too much mind getting hammered at home by Stoke would hurt.

Stoke played very well mind, saw a stat at the start of the game that Stoke have already made more passes this season than they have in any of the last 5 full seasons.

Edited by Howay

Agreed, but he's not as negative as Pulis at least. Saying that, there's so much dross in the PL at the moment that arguably he is one of the top ten managers in the league...

Was having an argument with a Norwich fan who suggested it was snobbery to say that a certain brand of football has more or less merit than another, but I couldn't disagree more. The most successful teams may have a strong defensive basis, but it's the flair and creativity that wins the trophies, not the inflexible slogging.

That's my major problem with the likes of Allardyce and Pulis. It's fine to have the physical, aggressive long ball to fall back on, but at least make it Plan B. Chelsea beat Barcelona by pressing high, playing a counter attacking direct style of football because they couldn't go toe-to-toe and that's fine because the next game they turned on the style and battered QPR 6-1.

Allardyce & Pulis play every game like they were up against Barcelona. I'm not saying that Telford should be trying to recreate Tiki-Taka away to Stalybridge Celtic, but surely if you're competing in the top flight of English football, you should at least be looking to pass the ball about a bit?

Yeah that's fair enough. I also think that given the rise of teams like Swansea its become difficult to argue that you can only create that attractive brand of football by investing heavily on foreign superstars.

The Guardian ran something on this recently with respect of trying to work out where David Moyes places in this, and ultimately arguing that his lack of appreciation for the finer side of the game would be his undoing. I think they placed him around the same level as Pardew in being a halfway house between the respective styles of Pulis and Guardiola.

Pardew sometimes has us passing it about better than I can remember seeing (or he did when Cabaye was here), but often reverts to the crap route one stuff under pressure.

Edited by Rayvin

Yeah that's fair enough. I also think that given the rise of teams like Swansea its become difficult to argue that you can only create that attractive brand of football by investing heavily on foreign superstars.

The Guardian ran something on this recently with respect of trying to work out where David Moyes places in this, and ultimately arguing that his lack of appreciation for the finer side of the game would be his undoing. I think they placed him around the same level as Pardew in being a halfway house between the respective styles of Pulis and Guardiola.

Pardew sometimes has us passing it about better than I can remember seeing (or he did when Cabaye was here), but often reverts to the crap route one stuff under pressure.

I think that was in spite of Pardew, rather than because of.

I suggest it could be that Pardew has a certain way of playing. It's aggressive, pressing and ultimately built on solid defence. When we've got ourselves a lead, he'll let the flair players have a bit more freedom and with that freedom comes the passing. We got some good results by frustrating teams for 60 odd minutes, then suddenly Remy et al seem to come into the game more and with that influence came a goal or two.

It also helped having a wonderful talent like Cabaye in the centre; able to pull the strings and make passes that lesser players haven't the alacrity of thought to conjure when we're in the more shackled part of Pardew's plan.

Definitely possible - and as you say, it may be more to do with Cabaye than Pardew, but I can remember us starting certain games well also. I suppose though, that the majority of our goals probably fall in the final 1/4 of the game, which would support what you're saying.

We seem to be more about counter attack than possession currently anyway, relying on Sissoko, Debuchy et al to get it up field quickly,

Definitely possible - and as you say, it may be more to do with Cabaye than Pardew, but I can remember us starting certain games well also. I suppose though, that the majority of our goals probably fall in the final 1/4 of the game, which would support what you're saying.

We seem to be more about counter attack than possession currently anyway, relying on Sissoko, Debuchy et al to get it up field quickly,

I miss Robert, Bellamy, Dyer et al :cry: