BREAKING FUCKING BAD **Spoilers**

Ayatollah Hermione

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They may have just decided that Sauls back story is more interesting than what would happen to him after the end of BB. Quite concievably he could end up being alive but desperate to keep away from the type of activities that have led to him beaten and verging on death. If that's the case there wouldn't be much of interest to tell.

Ozymandias. This will go down as the episode in which Hank was killed, Jesse was tortured and Walt Jr learnt the truth about his father. But it's key to the greatness of Breaking Bad that we didn't see any of these events, only their aftermath. We heard the shot that ended Hank's (Dean Norris) life, and saw instead Walt (Bryan Cranston), who had offered every last cent of his precious drug money to try to bargain for his brother-in-law's life, in an agony of pain so profound that it led to his cruellest act in five seasons, bar one, in telling Jesse (Aaron Paul) that the girl he loved could have lived. That he, Walter White, had watched her die and done nothing. ("I could have saved her but I didn't.") It was surpassed in cruelty only by that earlier act itself. We saw the tortured Jesse, in terror of the young man, Todd (Jesse Plemons), who had beaten his secrets from him. And we saw Walt Jr's world smashed in ever more violent ways ("Uncle Hank is dead?") without it once destroying the moral code that his parents had given him... you know the one, the one that made his father his hero: "He's a great father, a great teacher. He knows like everything there is to know about chemistry. He's patient with you, he's always there for you. He's just decent. And he always does the right thing and that's how he teaches me to be."

Faced with a moment of crisis, a fight between his mother and father that involved a large kitchen knife (from the knife block that made two appearances in the episode, beginning with the opening flashback, in which Walt framed an early lie to his wife), Walt Jr didn't hesitate. He phoned the police, he informed on his father, he told the truth. And the truth was that all Walt's notion of "family", the lie that had lit his path into darkness, was just that - a lie.

Walt had been trying to morph back into his former self for some time now. It was evident in his choice of language - faced with Skyler's (Anna Gunn) suggestion in a previous episode that they would have to "deal" with the Jesse Pinkman problem, he had said, "We all need to take a deep breath and calm down." Here, with Hank dead and having given up Jesse to whatever Todd had in store for him, he returned to the family home and tried to pack suitcases for all. When Skyler and Walt Jr returned home, he told them, "The priority right now is to pack."

Watching the family man persona shatter under Skyler's repeated, "Where's Hank?" was as dramatically satisfying a moment as any in this outstanding episode.

But there were many. Marie's visit to Skyler at the carwash, Walt's fury at being thwarted leading him to snatch baby Holly, Skyler's desperation as she ran out into the road, Walt's blood from a knife wound still on her clothes, Walt's phone call at the end to try to spin one last lie that would separate Skyler from blame, with the police listening in, framed as an attack on her. There were brilliant performances everywhere you looked.

But there was also an apparent flaw in the episode's beautiful internal logic, which played out from the moment Hank offered Walt his one note of thanks for trying to save him. As white supremacist gang boss Jack (Michael Bowen) held a gun to his head and Walt pleaded for his life, Hank's line contained a recrimination much wider reaching than the one in the words themselves. "You're the smartest man I know," Hank said, "but you're too stupid to realise that he made up his mind 10 minutes ago."

But surely Jack would have killed Walt, too. He had, after all, killed his brother-in-law and taken his money. And Jack knows what Walt is capable of, so why leave him alive? If his nephew Todd's moral code could be encapsulated in the moment that he shot young Drew Sharp, unhesitatingly, in the episode Dead Freight then surely he must have learned well from his uncle. Unless, of course, Todd's view of Jack is as far from the truth as Walter Jr's was of Walt. Maybe it was a charitable gesture. Or perhaps he looked at the man he'd seen crying on the floor and saw only that other Walt: the decent man, the teacher who knows everything there is to know about chemistry. Anyhow, it was very decent of Jack to leave him, however reduced, in the game.

Either way, I couldn't help thinking that Gus Fring, with his genius for organisation, would never have let things come to such a pass as Walt now faced. But then as Mike Ehrmentraut always said, "Just because you shot Jesse James doesn't make you Jesse James."

The episode title, Ozymandias, was beautifully engineered to hint at the total ruin of Walt's world and the end of all his power. But this shattering episode could equally as well have been named for a line in the song that played as Walt rolled his one remaining barrel of money through the desert. "Say goodbye to everyone."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/10312512/Breaking-Bad-season-five-episode-14-Ozymandias-review.html

watched the second last episode of Dexter this evening having already watched Breaking Bad - makes Dexter seem even craper than it has already turned out to be (should have finished a couple of seasons ago imo)

but, i did like this....

1VtO8Zd.jpg

jesus christ you're slow, have you forgotten the start of the first episode which will be part of the last episode already like?

Not at all, but its quite easy for the viewer to make the link between him going on the run and then coming back for a final shoot out.

As it stands, Walt lives and although his world has fell apart, at least the viewer can play it out any scenario. Walt in forever torment, Walt on a beach etc.

I'll reserve full judgement til after but I was quite satisfied with what I thought was the end last night.