Manchester City v Newcastle

McFaul

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're making out he's brilliant in this role though he's not. If we sold him with an adequate replacement I'd be delighted and I know for a fact so would most match going toon fans too.

I've not made out he's brilliant at all. Just that he is more effective at what he does (win the ball, draw fouls, retain posession, find space, work hard) than any other player at our disposal. I would be delighted with a better player coming in too. But from what we have available I worry more about anyone else who would play. Criticism needs to be relative to our other options, not other teams other options.

Hatem will go through the scones,he likes them with butter.

That Ginola interview where KK told him he couldn't smoke on the coach cause it was unhealthy and he looked around and everyone was eating huge portions of fish and chips. ;)

Just because CT agrees with me doesn't alter my point in any way shape or form. At the end of the day whatever people think about CT he pays his money and sees 19 games first hand every season, which in my view gives him a better platform to cast judgement over players than people watching them on Japanese internet streams.

Jonas provides absolutely fuck all, its alright defending from midfield but you want something going forward to. How many goals has he made over the last three seasons, I'm sure the ginger statto will tell me soon enough, but I bet its not many, and no where near the amount required for someone playing in his role. He's been shite since Enrique left, primarily because he got away with it because Enrique was so good going forward, that Jonas' attacking ineptitudes didn't really matter as much. Since then he's had Santon coming to grips with the English game, and has neglected his own attacking responsibilities hiding behind a work rate philosophy rather than one of the key parts of his role, which is to create chances for the striker(s). Often he's played deeper than he used to in the past, but he can't even do that very well, his passing isn't great, his crossing isn't great, he's just there, that is Jonas, he's just there in the right defensive position when teams counter attack. I want more than that, he was disgraceful in many game last season, really abysmal in terms of his overall contribution, and like I say it'll be interesting to see how much more fluid we'll be at the start of the season without him. The fact he's an absolute mainstay and never gets dropped in a massively underachieving team is telling for me as well.

Absolutely excellent analysis on Jonas.

Tempted to put three city players in my fantasy foots team. Can only see a convincing home win here

3 Chelsea would be wiser. ;)

I'd go

.................Kr.................

Deb......Taylor...Collo...Yanga..

.......Anita...Sissoko...Cabs.....

........Hatem...........

..............................Goofy...

...............Cisse

Edited by Park Life

I've not made out he's brilliant at all. Just that he is more effective at what he does (win the ball, draw fouls, retain posession, find space, work hard) than any other player at our disposal. I would be delighted with a better player coming in too. But from what we have available I worry more about anyone else who would play. Criticism needs to be relative to our other options, not other teams other options.

Agree there are better options out there than Jonas. In our squad? I'm not sure. Maybe Remy can force him out if the side but a lot of that depends on how Pardew has us set up.

Ideally he'd be a squad player. He's still a useful player to have on the bench with his versatility and work rate but his lack of end product is frustrating.

how's that good news? one of the players who features most for us is injured and he's probably the one who works the hardest to track back to support the full back is going to miss the game against one of the best attacks in the league?

rather him on than marveuax watching as navas blasts down the wing to take on santon or debuchy

You can't possibly deny Jonas was absolute garbage last season though? He offers fuck all in the final third.

And your comments are exactly the reason why Pardew refuses to drop him, negative tactics.

Edited by Anorthernsoul

Agree there are better options out there than Jonas. In our squad? I'm not sure. Maybe Remy can force him out if the side but a lot of that depends on how Pardew has us set up.

Ideally he'd be a squad player. He's still a useful player to have on the bench with his versatility and work rate but his lack of end product is frustrating.

I think if we cut through the shit he's basically crap.

3 Chelsea would be wiser. ;)

I'd go

.................Kr.................

Deb......Taylor...Collo...Yanga..

.......Anita...Sissoko...Cabs.....

........Hatem...........

..............................Goofy...

...............Cisse

Yeah, on to that tip already with Mata and Hazard both in there because of the extra game. Fuck knows which forward they're going to play though. I've got lukuku in for now but not sure if he'll start or not.

Jonas, who's inconsistent at best.

Am I unfair on Jonas? He ran their defence ragged, had them in his pocket.....but still didn't have any end product as far as I could see. In his few games at the club Routledge has already scored as many and probably provided as many assists as Jonas has all season. I thought he thoroughly deserved man of the match.

For those who think that because I say we will miss him, that means I think he is excellent. A couple of the many examples where I said he's not good enough. Pity we still haven't got anyone better than him to 3 or 4 years later.

Yeah, on to that tip already with Mata and Hazard both in there because of the extra game. Fuck knows which forward they're going to play though. I've got lukuku in for now but not sure if he'll start or not.

It's a gamble with Lukaku...From scanning the Chelsea sites they have no idea who's getting the striker birth in the 4231 Jose will start.

Sturridge is back for Liv and Dzeko wll start - Aguero has knee problems.

I've gone - Dzeko - Sturridge - Soldado as the front three.

Don't discount Schurrle starting for Chelsea - Mou has been bigging him up and Mata not being in the Spanish squad will start both games more than likely.

That could work.

Aye playing a full back centre forward a role he hasn't played since he was 15, it could work, so could Vanessa Feltz's attempt to become a size 8. It could happen.

Alan Pardew has vowed to “get the fear factor back” into Newcastle this season.

Magpies boss Pardew has reviewed the mistakes and disappointments of last season and come up with his priorities for the new campaign that starts at Manchester City on Monday night.

They include producing a side which “threatens the goal more”, and also constructing a long cup run that can “energise” his club.

Pardew says his first priority is to get the Geordies back on the radar as an attacking force - because last season they didn’t get enough goals, therefore handing the opposition an immediate confidence boost.

And he wants to blow away one of the main gripes from fans by making sure that the FA Cup and Carling Cup are given top priority.

Pardew, who is still waiting for another striker to be signed to bolster his options, said: “I think last year the bottom line was we were not threatening the goal enough.

“If you’re not threatening the goal enough, teams get a little bit more confidence, they score against you and start to believe that if they score, they will win.

“Therefore, not only are you suffering from a lack of confidence, you are suffering from an over-confident opposition, whereas the year before everyone was fearful of playing us because the results, home and away, were excellent.”

Newcastle managed only 45 league goals last season - relegated Wigan scored more - with top scorer Papiss Cisse managing only 13 in all competitions.

Pardew added: “We need to get the fear factor back and to do that you need to threaten the goal.

“There is no doubt in my mind we need to get a team out there that threatens the goal more. Forget 4-4-2 or 4-5-1, and the debate over our tactics, that’s what we have to do. We have to create more chances, score more goals.

“Of course, I knew there was criticism. I knew there was a debate over the formation or system 4-4-2 or 4-3-3. It gets talked about until the cows come home.”