Manchester City v Newcastle

McFaul

They'll comfortably beat us 3-0. We'll look like a team that has already surrendered to the idea of mid-table mediocrity. No Newcastle fan will feel "in the mood" for the whole season, older Newcastle fans won't see the point in hanging on and as such the population of our area will dwindle year in, year out until the North East is a sparsely populated wasteland, where DVDs of old glories are used as currency and tales of the "12 point gap" are told to scare kids into finishing their days labour down the fracking seams.

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why? They've only been the best team once.

Topically, Scotland were the only team to beat them over 90mins in Argentina 78, the hosts needed another 30 mins to do them in the final...tbf to the cloggies, Cruyff's missus didnt let him go and the final was played in possibly the most partizan atmosphere of any final, with the host country being ruled by a military junta and controlled by a brutal armed militia who intimidated the Dutch team from the word go:

The final itself was no less controversial. Holland had made it to their second consecutive final, this time without their key player Johan Cruyff. At the time he claimed he was missing the tournament as a protest against the junta in Argentina, but recently gave an interview saying that the real reason was a bungled kidnap attempt in Barcelona the year before that kept him from the tournament.

The Argentine authorities played games with the Dutch from the offset, driving their team coach the wrong way to the stadium, stopping in a small village where tens of fans banged on the bus windows shouting ‘Argentina, Argentina, Argentina!’ for over 20 minutes. They also bullied FIFA into changing the referee, as the respected offical Abraham Klein was vetoed by Argentina and Italian Serio Gonella was put in charge, giving a woeful, one-sided performance in favour of the home team.

The match itself saw the crowd whipped up to the max, as the Estadio Monumental in Buenos Aires provided one of the most intimating atmospheres for a football match ever seen, with over 70,000 uber-psyched fans penned in by scores of threatening looking military police. If Holland had managed to upset the odds and win, lord knows how they would’ve made it out of the stadium.

http://www.onthisfootballday.com/football-history/june-25-the-shame-of-argentina-78.php

edit: the ref was allegedly swapped because the original ref was from Israel, and it was thought he may be biased towards the Dutch; Ajax, jews etc etc..

Edited by PaddockLad

It's tremendous news, he's a plodder he creates fuck all and the majority of the people who see him every week will recognise this. He's nothing more than a grafter who creates little and leaves his best performances firmly in the pre-season. His tracking back to support the defence is all well and good, but a team that conceded 68 goals in the league last season, I don't necessarily thing that contribution is telling. He creates little or fuck all going forward, and my patience is long since blown with him. We lost 4-0 there last season with Jonas "tracking back" helping the full back, well we can't do any worse than that this season.

needs a haircut too

Fuck it. We should just go for it, gan 4-3-3 with Gouffran, Cisse and Ben Arfa as the front 3. Nee point fannying about being defensive cos if we play for a draw we'll get beat. There's no pressure on us at all, were not relying on other teams results and are more than likely gonna get beat. Go there with a decent attitude and look to get a win. I can't be arsed to watch us with 10 men behind the ball and lumping it long to Cisse while he gets bossed about by Kompany

Fuck it. We should just go for it, gan 4-3-3 with Gouffran, Cisse and Ben Arfa as the front 3. Nee point fannying about being defensive cos if we play for a draw we'll get beat. There's no pressure on us at all, were not relying on other teams results and are more than likely gonna get beat. Go there with a decent attitude and look to get a win. I can't be arsed to watch us with 10 men behind the ball and lumping it long to Cisse while he gets bossed about by Kompany

Agree. 433 and a match bonus for whomever crocks Silva. ;)

Earlier this summer Pardew stated that survival was the priority . He has since declared "we need to score more goals" and it's been reported all summer he intends playing 2 up front . He has taken on board criticism etc etc Players have also spoken out at last season's training as being too easy and a fitness trainer has since been brought in .

Caulkin wrote a piece a few weeks ago about having interviewed Pardew he apparently showed a 'steely resolve' following last season's damp squib and Kinnears subsequent appointment .

Ignoring his first statement , IN THEORY talk has been positive and we could look a different proposition this season .

This is what we all hope for, but to be my pessimistic self, talk is cheap - especially Pardews .

Let's be honest - he's a bullshitter's bullshitter .

From what I can gather pre-season hasn't reflected any/much of these purported changes for the better with limited chances and goals mostly coming from someone who can't play more than 30 minutes a game and was supposedly leaving the club this summer .

I heard 'on good authority' (authority being the operative) that Pardew and Carver had to be separated by police in the tunnel after last season's shafting by Liverpool with Carver apparently rather keen on voicing opinion on where we were going wrong but Pardew simply ploughing on .

I don't really want to keep on at Pardew and as said yesterday I hope for the sake of the club and shoving it up Ashley that he can turn it round.

BUT

He seems he's lost all confidence and hoping to get by on sound bites "trust me" . I think that has spread throughout the squad and is perhaps reflected in Cabayes apparent lethargy (very dissapointing to say the least as Pardew has always been supportive and sung his praises) and with Ben Arfabucketofchickenboss' conditioning .

Maybe he's too 'nice' with them behind the scenes ? Maybe it's a pretty thankless task managing millionaires with no affinity and with desire and ambition all too readily castrated by quick, easy money ?

(Old cliche about confidence being everything in football and all that) but I personally don't see him as currently having the balls to back up his stated intent .

I can understand his lack current of confidence as it's been made exceptionally difficult for him by the obstreperous tracksuit salesman .

Only some great results in the early games give him a chance of regaining any semblance of the swagger that's needed .

Knowledge base is the heartbeat of any good organisation and especially in football where things change so quickly with regard to new ideas and tactics. I'd say ours is pretty poor compared to the majority of the Premier League. Good practice and inspiration and vision is vital in competitive sport where confidence and knowledge is everything.

You can get away with a scant coaching staff if the manager is top notch but Pardew certainly needs help, he needs at least two more dedicated and skilled coaches especially in the attacking areas and certainly in a modern tactical approach to games.

His main strenghts are that he's a good organiser and good spinner and can at times instill a fighting spirit but in key areas he is all too lacking, the main one being his inabiltiy to get a side predominantly of internationals to play cogent and progressive football. The majority of the time our football is stone age.

Edited by Park Life

Agree. 433 and a match bonus for whomever crocks Silva. ;)

We shouldn't be rolling over for them, they've got a new manager and new players, so lets give them a decent game of it and not just let them go out and get an easy 3 points. They won't like us getting up at them and won't be expecting us to give them a hard game. We've got pretty much full strength 11 to choose from which could in all honesty get a win from this game.

Pardoo's latest interview states that we need to be more threatening and score more goals but that has nothing to do with tactics or formations. Sounds a bit mike bassett to me....no wonder he wants more british players