The En-ger-land Thread

Christmas Tree

I've drifted away from any real interest in x over the last y years but I've certainly enjoyed z.

There's a game.

Replace x, y and z with words to show it's a sentence that sums up CT's entire existence.

I've drifted away from any real interest in gardening over the last 40 years but I've certainly enjoyed fly tipping my waste recently.

I've drifted away from any real interest in exercise over the last 20 years but I've certainly enjoyed buying an indoor rowboat recently.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've drifted away from any real interest in healthy eating over the last 20 years but I've certainly enjoyed the odd buttered slice and duck pizza recently.

Edited by Dr Gloom

I think there's quite a bit to enjoy about England at the moment. I've certainly drifted away from any real interest in England over the last 5 years but I've certainly enjoyed the last two matches.

We have a decent fella in charge who you can see is living every kick.

And a team with some old heads, some solid players and some very exciting young'uns.

No reason at all why we can't have an exciting tournament.

If Eng did mad shit just before the tournament (sack Hodgson and put Mourniho in charge for a month) they could win it. :lol:

I've drifted away from any real interest in fad hobbies over the last 20 years but I've certainly enjoyed spunking thousands on crap i never use to clutter up my attic recently.

I've drifted away from casual racism over the last 20 years but I've certainly enjoyed drawing a line at those that want to come over here simply wanting a better standard of living recently.

Edited by Dr Gloom

Frankly, in a knockout tournament it's mad to convince yourself that Eng will do badly...We've got some good young talent coming through just at the right time..All the pressure will be on Brazil and Germany...Absolutely nothing to lose.

I think there's quite a bit to enjoy about England at the moment. I've certainly drifted away from any real interest in England over the last 5 years but I've certainly enjoyed the last two matches.

We have a decent fella in charge who you can see is living every kick.

And a team with some old heads, some solid players and some very exciting young'uns.

No reason at all why we can't have an exciting tournament.

Like who? :search:

I think we're still the same fairly average side we've been since the mid nineties. We're better than most but we're not up there with Spain, Brazil, Germany, Italy and probably one or two others. We can give any of them a game and will get the odd result against them but we're too lacking in quality to have any expectations of winning anything.

Hats off to audacious Bosnia-Herzegovina

There is so much to celebrate about Bosnia-Herzegovina's qualification for Brazil, primarily the happy aside it offers to a country that has suffered so much. It is also a boon for neutrals because they are far more fun to watch than Greece, the team they beat to the top of Group G on goal difference. Whereas the best Greek players are defenders, the brightest Bosnian talent is in attack – and their manager, Safet Susic, has the wit and neck to choose his tactics accordingly. Only Germany, Holland and England have scored more in the European qualifiers than a Bosnian team that hurtle at opponents with no handbrake. "It may sound tactically immature, I am fully aware of that, but I just think it would be wrong to play different," said Susic ahead of the decisive win in Lithuania, where his side only scored once despite playing with their usual abandon. "I just think that it would be wrong to play differently. We know that we expose ourselves too much and that there is a huge risk in a way we play – using one defensive midfielder and opening up huge space for an opponent – but it would be unfair to the fans, to the game and to us if we were to suppress such a talent and such a skill. We know that it can cost us, but that is the price we are willing to pay. In the end, we play to score more goals than the opposition – and it has paid off so far."

:nufc:

Hats off to audacious Bosnia-Herzegovina

There is so much to celebrate about Bosnia-Herzegovina's qualification for Brazil, primarily the happy aside it offers to a country that has suffered so much. It is also a boon for neutrals because they are far more fun to watch than Greece, the team they beat to the top of Group G on goal difference. Whereas the best Greek players are defenders, the brightest Bosnian talent is in attack – and their manager, Safet Susic, has the wit and neck to choose his tactics accordingly. Only Germany, Holland and England have scored more in the European qualifiers than a Bosnian team that hurtle at opponents with no handbrake. "It may sound tactically immature, I am fully aware of that, but I just think it would be wrong to play different," said Susic ahead of the decisive win in Lithuania, where his side only scored once despite playing with their usual abandon. "I just think that it would be wrong to play differently. We know that we expose ourselves too much and that there is a huge risk in a way we play – using one defensive midfielder and opening up huge space for an opponent – but it would be unfair to the fans, to the game and to us if we were to suppress such a talent and such a skill. We know that it can cost us, but that is the price we are willing to pay. In the end, we play to score more goals than the opposition – and it has paid off so far."

:nufc:

Get Keeganovic in here now.

I enjoyed that Stevie.

These days it's far more popular to be some kind of ultra left wing and have anyone say anything about England & it's people.

Whilst some things might be true - EVERYTHING - is pretty much taken on the chin. In addition people look to be offended on other people's behalf - that frustrates me. It's deeply sewn into the media, a kind of childish one-upmanship.

Such as getting Robbie Fowler to apologise for saying Torres & Vertonghen 'fought like girls'. It's a proper ''bloody hell, this fucking country moment'.

I mean, who gets genuinely upset by that? Another thing if you want to see what complete cathwords the country has grown into - check out the Maddie McCan crack on twitter. Abhorrent.

I enjoyed that Stevie.

These days it's far more popular to be some kind of ultra left wing and have anyone say anything about England & it's people.

Whilst some things might be true - EVERYTHING - is pretty much taken on the chin. In addition people look to be offended on other people's behalf - that frustrates me. It's deeply sewn into the media, a kind of childish one-upmanship.

Such as getting Robbie Fowler to apologise for saying Torres & Vertonghen 'fought like girls'. It's a proper ''bloody hell, this fucking country moment'.

I mean, who gets genuinely upset by that? Another thing if you want to see what complete cathwords the country has grown into - check out the Maddie McCan crack on twitter. Abhorrent.

Aye spot on example regarding Fowler as well. That type of approach would be laughed at in other countries. I think most of the TV programmes I watched as a bairn in the 80s and 90s wouldn't even be allowed these days. Alf Garnett programmes would be introduced with "warning some viewers may find some of the views expressed in this show offensive."

I think we're still the same fairly average side we've been since the mid nineties. We're better than most but we're not up there with Spain, Brazil, Germany, Italy and probably one or two others. We can give any of them a game and will get the odd result against them but we're too lacking in quality to have any expectations of winning anything.

Brazil will probably win it, but being there adds a spark of excitement to the torture of sitting through all those 0-0 draws.

I enjoyed that Stevie.

They take away the words so you forget who you are.

Brazil will probably win it, but being there adds a spark of excitement to the torture of sitting through all those 0-0 draws.

I think Colombia (said in a Tony Montana accent) and Chile will be decent bets for the surprise packages. They won't get far don't get me wrong but I think both will surprise a few people.

Colombia have both Balanta and Quintero coming through so if they can embed them into their team then they'll be exciting to watch.

Yep entertaining read as usual.

Sick of the 'Well I'm not that arsed, we'll just get knocked out' patter already, miserable twats.

:lol: I know what you mean, but are you that arsed? And do you not think we'll get knocked out as usual?

I'm the biggest hypocrite out there and I'll no doubt get caught up in the hype as per. It's difficult not to be a miserable twat about England though tbf