Are you middle class?

Howmanheyman

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Not sure about that mind, you'd like to be but just end up coming across exhaustingly dull and like a poodle puppy looking for attention.

I can only assume that your missus has given you a free pass & you're back at the library?

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The funny thing is I've drunk in the raby, and drunk and bought drugs in the Scrogg :lol: I'm not even making that up. Must be about 15 years ago mind, when I was young and daft.

I wouldn't think of those on £50k+ as upper class, it's only the few percent at the very top who I would consider as UC.

Class is inherenty different to income though. You're middle income on 50k but it doesnt in any way indicate what social background you come from. I can name half a dozen people I know who were brought up on council estates who earn in excess of 50k. I imagine most people with a half decent career could among their own collegues. Your background indicates what class you are iyam.

Class is inherenty different to income though. You're middle income on 50k but it doesnt in any way indicate what social background you come from. I can name half a dozen people I know who were brought up on council estates who earn in excess of 50k. I imagine most people with a half decent career could among their own collegues. Your background indicates what class you are iyam.

Definitely. My background was very much poor middle class.

I agree but despite your background you can't be middle or UC unless you have the required money behind you. A lot of it also has to do with lifestyle IMO, do you go to the opera, play polo etc. I don't think you the way you were brought up completely defines your class otherwise there would be very little mobility between classes but there's no hard and fast rules on these things and ultimately I don't really give a shit.

I agree but despite your background you can't be middle or UC unless you have the required money behind you. A lot of it also has to do with lifestyle IMO, do you go to the opera, play polo etc. I don't think you the way you were brought up completely defines your class otherwise there would be very little mobility between classes but there's no hard and fast rules on these things and ultimately I don't really give a shit.

It's hard to break into the proper upper middle class scene in places like London. It's a closed shop regardless of other factors like money. It's as much to do with where you went to school and who you know rather than just money or where you live. It's the same if you go down to Cornwall or Southampton, the yachting scene for instance is impregnable even if you own nice boat of whatever..This is where the arabs have been naive in places like Monaco and Cannes...They're laughed at behind their backs cause they don't really have the breeding. They're encouraged to spend their money but won't be invited to the top parties put on by the properly bred oldksool there...

Edited by Park Life

How many generations does it last then? Does my dad pass his working class background on to me? Not sure he does, I don't consider myself working class at all.

I watched that Paul O'Grady thing on the working class last night. He reckons they still exist, I thought he sounded like a sentimental old queen hankering after some bygone era. Social mobility exists in this country which renders the old concepts of class redundant. The old class system started to die with the end of the empire and was fully dead by the end of the miners strike.

How many generations does it last then? Does my dad pass his working class background on to me? Not sure he does, I don't consider myself working class at all.

I watched that Paul O'Grady thing on the working class last night. He reckons they still exist, I thought he sounded like a sentimental old queen hankering after some bygone era. Social mobility exists in this country which renders the old concepts of class redundant. The old class system started to die with the end of the empire and was fully dead by the end of the miners strike.

I think in your heart you're working class. You might carry on like a ponce with your galavanting and your mountain retreats but I suspect you're more at home in a pub with a few beers and good conversation. ;)

In the old meaning of the word, the aristocracy are the upper classes and for me they still are.

Then you've got people with as you say the income to buy their way into whatever lifestyle they want to become accustomed to. Thats an infinetly huge amount of people, and those with an excess of income with which to obtain fancy trinkets and baubles may start as low as 35k. But that doesnt automatically make them middle class.

Then you've got the proper working class, who could also earn in excess of 50k a year...builders are doing a working class job but a lot of them make a lot of money.

Then theres people who dont want to work. The people in the middle two categories pay for them. Andprotect their homes against them.

And thats it. Its all about income and mobility apart from the uppers. You've got to marry into them, which if you're from Hackney or Heaton would do their gene pool the fuckin world of good ;)

I saw the O'Grady thing too, and tend to agree.

I suppose if your lifestyle changes from standing on the Gallowgate to flying club class around the world on business you probably do go through huge changes, and with the no doubt monumental change in social circles that brings you probably do consider yourself to be "different". My life hasn't changed very much tbh, so I am possibly closer to who I was when I was a teenager.

You dont come across as someone who's forgotten where he's from though so behind all the baubles and trinkets and the champagne lifestyle I'd imagine its fair to say you havent changed very much, and if you were brought up in what Frank Skinner calls the "working class First Division " :lol: you have more than enough tools to get on in life if you so choose; politeness,honesty,hard working etc. If you'd gone to public school and had a similar career path you probably wouldnt have stood on the Gallowgate though, which is where the difference is for me.

Edited by PaddockLad

Football support is interesting casue it's probably true that the nature and background of Arsenal and Spurs support has changed over the years to be more middle class and clubs like Millwall, Palace and Charlton have probably remained the same...I was thinking about this the other day....The colonisation of traditional football support. ;)

Football support is interesting casue it's probably true that the nature and background of Arsenal and Spurs support has changed over the years to be more middle class and clubs like Millwall, Palace and Charlton have probably remained the same...I was thinking about this the other day....The colonisation of traditional football support. ;)

Its not middle class though, its middle income. Thats the point, the people no doubt earn more than their parents could've dreamed of but their parents didnt send them to the local prep school in order for them to do so. Their kids might well go to very good schools though, thats where it changes I'd imagine.

Edited by PaddockLad

Its not middle class though, its middle income. Thats the point, the people no doubt earn more than their parents could've dreamed of but their parents didnt send them to the local prep school in order for them to do so. Their kids might well go to very good schools though, thats where it changes I'd imagine.

Yeah broadly agree with that.

There is another side. An upwardly mobile working class lad will buy a Tag heur,Rolex or the Bond watch.. Proper middle class will have a Piaget or Tissot and the upwardly mobile middle class chap will have a Brietling..

Sure there are more rigid sociological definitions that exist rather than this subjective Gallowgate bollocks. Chez, I think you inherit you social class until your first career job. You're definitely middle class, upper middle in fact.

I think his chidren will be proper middle class. There will always be 'something of the night' about Chez. ;)

If I did a cursory list I'd say:

Middle Class Pimms drinking shithouses - Chez, Renton, Happy Face, Meenzer, Gemmill, Gloom, Ant, Fish..

Working class steady boys - Monkey, Ne6, Ne5, CT, ewerk, JawD, Stevie, Paddock lad, Hermoine, Jill, Catmag. J69..

You'll often find on here subconsciously on some topics the above take sides accordingly. :lol:

It's also clear the 2nd group would 'have' the first group. ;)

Edited by Park Life

I always like to think of myself as working class and base that on my upbringing. But two pots simply isnt enough to stereotype people these days. Wasnt there a recent study / waste of time thing that suggested there are now 7 class levels or something?