Keeping fit

scotty84

I had a knee operation a few years back and my fitness levels have never been the same.

I've ran a few 1/2 marathons in the past in fairly decent times , and I'm hoping to enter some next year as a goal to aim for, but generally any running I do now requires a couple of days rest afterwards for my knee's to recuperate (I'm only 28 FFS, sound like i'm double that!).

Really into mountain biking, but don't get out as much as I used to as I now live in London and pretty much any incline in gradient is man-made.

Also play 5-a-side when i get the chance, used to play every week last year but's all went quiet of recent.

What do people on here do for fitness / sporting activities?

Bought a bike last week. 3 mile ride to work. 3 miles back.

Was driving it in 10 minutes and cycled home in 12 minutes today.

Thinking of extending the route.

Road bike? I've been thinking of making the purchase at some point but haven't really got enough space to store one bike let alone two!

I go running which is great fun & and quite relaxing when I've got my headphones in. Normally go a couple of times a week, it's a good way to stay fit & you'd be surprised what it does for toning muscles.

In addition I occasionally do some cardio in the house - I've been trying the insanity workout - which is pretty difficult but I've been posting some reasonable scores.

Other than that - I walk places when i can.

I've been trying the insanity workout - which is pretty difficult but I've been posting some reasonable scores.

I caught the extended advert for that on one of the channels that doesn't air in the morning - that looks intense!!

Edited by scotty84

I caught the extended advert for that on one of the channels that doesn't air in the morning - that looks intense!!

My mate gave me a copy - he's in the army and gets it for nothing.

It really tests you but it's up to you how much or little you want to do. I've just been doing the fitness test - which is very good value for half an hours exercise.

Good man, keep at it! Nowt worse than a fella picking up a hefty knock/injury and using it as an excuse to slouch off.

At the moment i've bee doing the usual sunday league and 6 a side midweek with the occasional badminton game in there - but last month got dragged into trying out for a mens roller derby team.
Pretty physical game and a lot more strenuous on core/thigh muscles than i was anticipating, but it's definitely worth a shout if you can find any teams nearby!

My mate gave me a copy - he's in the army and gets it for nothing.

It really tests you but it's up to you how much or little you want to do.

I can see CT sitting on the sofa, feet up, couple of bacon rolls and a cup of tea "fucking hell, this is easy, what was everyone moaning about!?" :lol:

Aye it really knacks the running.

I'm tempted to go early on a weekend so I've got the light - obviously in a couple of months - and just go a bit further.

Apparently badmington is pretty intense!

Aye, didn't really think much beyond it being 'soft boys tennis' when i first started it - but christ almighty you cover some ground. Bit hard to switch between the two though!

A mix of weight training and cardio classes at the gym. Train about 5 or 6 hours a week.

Used to play 5 a side and badminton but having a kid means I've got to get my training out of the way during lunch breaks so had to pack in the evening sports social stuff.

Gym about 4 times a week (cardio x 2/legs/upper body), usually Mon, Tues, Wed & Fri.

Run once a week outside (Sat/Sun), anywhere from about 1.5 to 11 miles.

Walk a lot at weekends, anywhere from 3-12 miles in one go.

The occasional home workout if the weather's shit and I can't be arsed to go to the gym: kettlebells/skipping

Gym five days a week, sometimes six. When I'm there I do an hours cross trainer which is better for your knees than running, and it burns at least 800 calories every time. Usually do half hour weights on me legs, arse, and belly, also cycle 50 miles + every week. I don't run as much because me knees aren't what they were, and as fit as I am, bizarrely at under 15st I'm slower at running than I was when I was 16 and a half stone. Play football once a fortnight now, and I'm not shite but me feet are much slower than they were, it's quite depressing not being the player I once was.

tb8Gm4s.jpg

TmoyeEU.jpg

YKe9e1T.jpg

Apologies for the bent pics, but the first one was me in January nigh on 17st, the last two are me now 14st8, just to prove that this shit really works. People who say "ah I'll always be fat", nothing but lazy bastards imo, people are fat because they eat or drink too much, while putting next to no effort in. Often peoples lifestyles dictate they haven't got an hour a day to put the effort in, but they could easily get a gym at home. No sympathy for fat people me, I was overweight and it was down to nothing more than thinking I could drink 25+ pints a week while doing little to burn it off.

Edited by McFaul

Good results there Stevie - excellent work. Any change to diet too or just training?

But I suspect @yourservice will have a field day with those pics.

Beers down from 25 pints + to a maximum of 20 a week. Eating a lot more, fruit, veg, and white meat too. I still eat shite, but even then I'll grill bacon rather than fry it now.

He can as long as I don't end up with Paul Wyn's spunk on my belly.