Keeping fit

scotty84

It depends how far you go and how quickly you do it.

I never get past the "this really f*cking hurts" stage to be honest. It just seems so pointless. I understand the point of running after a football or a squash ball - I don't want to lose, but I'm not motivated enough by simply keeping fit.

Level 7. Should be Level 6, but I missed out on promotion because I only did 19 games last season rather than the requisite 20.

You enjoy it then Stottser, would you like to move up the ranks with it?

You enjoy it then Stottser, would you like to move up the ranks with it?

I enjoy it 9 out of ten weeks. It's a few quid in the back pocket (28 to be precise) and as long as you are competent it's a fairly easy gig. I've been doing it for about five seasons and you get to know the lads that you need to man mark.

I don't give them a pre-match talk or owt. Most of them are too busy pissing in the bushes or finishing off a spliff.

I'm too old to make it through the ranks now. My admin is far too poor to do it. You've got to be a company man to get there, i.e. you can be roundly hated by players, but as long as you get your match report in on time, do 40 games a season and are a stickler for the rules you'll do alright

Edited by donaldstott

starting swimming over the last couple of weeks at my local pool (by that i mean I haven't swam regularly in ages, i CAN infact swim, my shorts would tell you that if you seen me at the pool, covered in all my badges n that).

Really enjoying it, going first thing in the morning and its a great way to wake up and feel fresh ready for the day. Going to sign up tomorrow for a membership to keep myself going back, otherwise once the darker mornings kick in i'll prefer the comfort of bed at 6.30am.

25m.jpg

Edited by scotty84

I've got a pain on my inside lower leg from running, had a look online and some suggestions it could be shin splints.

I get problems all across my left leg from my knee injury i think. I pulled all my ligaments off the bone in my left knee (and a couple snapped for good measure too) when i was 15. It put paid to my football career.

I think i must compensate for the knee when i am running as i get muscle tightness which seems to be right under my left arse cheek, sore knee (obviously) and now this shin / inner lower leg pain.

Did 7km yesterday (i run in a place called Parc Monceau, the fanny is utterly ridiculous) and feeling like i made need to take a break for a while. Nightmare.

pounding the pavement is no good for your joints like, especially not as you get older. you could maybe try swimming or cycling for a bit till it clears up...

the one thing i've noticed about getting older is all the niggles. i suffer with tight hamstring mainly, and have had a few minor injuries in lower back, hip flexors and glutes recently.

nothing more annoying that not being able to train for a few weeks, waiting while something clears up.

• 2 weeks later...

Shin splints can be from your running technique also, primarily over-pronation. If this is you, try concentrating on your uplift and not striking the ground with your heel (I that makes sense). For me having good arch support really makes a difference.

• 3 weeks later...

Right lads and lasses.

I need a hand here.

I've been having a lot of bother with my left foot. It never really gave me any bother before but about 3 weeks ago I went for a five mile run - I hadn't done a similar distance in a while & felt a little unfit so on the last mile I really, really pushed myself, full of adrenaline & I got a decent time (for me). I felt fine afterwards - no muscle pain or anything. However two days later my foot started to swell up like nobody's business and I couldn't put any weight on it at all. So I couldn't get my work shoe on without a great hassle. It hurt.

So eventually it settled down - after two weeks - I thought it was ok, So I blasted out a three mile run and everything was fine - a little niggle - but no drama and I could go to work and I wasn't limping etc.

However this week - a week after the run - I haven't been for a run or done anything and it's swollen as bad as it was after the 5 mile run. Bear in mind I've been running very regular all year this has come out of nowhere. I literally can't fit it into a shoe that is a perfect fit.

I don't know what the fuck to do - I thought I'd rested it well enough - and I'm desperate to get back out & my mates want me out running too.

I'm in a bad fitness place.

If it's your health, and your abilities as a biped, I'd make the time mate. The running could be exacerbating an underlying condition you need sorting. Medical advice, get some.

Being able to get about isn't leisure man!

Edited by trophyshy

You might get referred physio. I had the same problem a few years back, my knee would seize up the day after exercise and I couldn't bend it for 24 hours. They couldn't really diagnose it, but they sent me for weekly physio on the NHS with a lovely young thing called Candy who cleared it up.

You might get referred physio. I had the same problem a few years back, my knee would seize up the day after exercise and I couldn't bend it for 24 hours. They couldn't really diagnose it, but they sent me for weekly physio on the NHS with a lovely young thing called Candy who cleared it up.

This sounds excellent.

I'm off to err...look it up.

This sounds excellent.

I'm off to err...look it up.

It was great. I got out of work legit once a week, I got a lovely knee massage and lessons in how to put strapping on correctly. I was actually quite sad when it cleared up. :lol:

I did the same as SLP and it worked for me, kept resting my knee, it kept flaring back up after 1 or 2 miles and I had to stop. Was referred to a physio who unfortunately was too male to be called Candy but he did nail the problem straight away, told me it wasn't my knee, was a muscle that runs from the hip down and was given exercises to stretch it as it was awkward to stretch the muscle if you didn't know about it. He was spot on I've never had bother with it since.