Keeping fit

scotty84

I don't fancy a weird boot thing like. :lol:

I'm going to try and go to the Doctors tomorrow evening & if I can't get in I'm just going to have to take time off work.

My lass's dad has a similar problem and he swears by rubbing crushed garlic and butter into his feet at night. He says he wears a sock on top overnight and in the morning the swelling's always gone.

Edited by trophyshy

My lass's dad has a similar problem and he swears by rubbing crushed garlic and butter into his feet at night. He says he wears a sock on top overnight and in the morning the swelling's always gone.

I'm sure his misses must be loving that! :sick:

My work netball team has started up again and I'm wavering over whether to commit or not. I said I would play because I thought it'd be like a year or two ago when we just had 1 game a week against another team in the league, but today I had an email with a Powerpoint presentation on the rules and suggestions for drills we can do in training sessions. :lol: Don't think I'm that fucking interested like. I don't even particularly like netball, it's full of bitches.

Actually, just remembered I'm also shite at it, so I think I'll sack it off. Must make up some other commitment that has come up.

:lol: If it was a sport where I could go straight through them (joke in there somewhere) with a hard challenge rather than being a shitty non-contact sport, I'd be a lot more up for it.

• 1 month later...

Doing the 7 minute work out every day and certainly improving. Can now do proper push ups rather than the fatty knees on the floor, bob your head type.

Also just doubled up with an hour on the gym so well and truly foooked.

Being watching the biggest loser lately and it's quite amazing how quickly these horrifically fat people become fit whilst still obese.

Decided to try and step up my own attempts so that I can finally get below 12 stone.

how many times are you doing this 7min work out, not once like surely?

:lol: fuck off

The idea is once a day and it's obviously aimed at unfit people who find every excuse under the sun not to exercise. It's hard to find an excuse not to find 7 minutes.

Hopefully as you become slimmer and fitter, you not only feel able to do more but want to do more. That's where I am at the minute.

That said, for a lot of people who arnt gym rats, a 7 minute work out every day must be beneficial.

This is the blurb on the app....

Backed by peer-reviewed scientific research, the “7 minute workout” is becoming an international hit. The authors, Brett Kilka (C.S.C.S., B.S.) and Chris Jordan (M.S., C.S.C.S.) have written a very comprehensive research article that should really be read in its entirety.

For those with little time or patience – here is our summary:

The researchers have put together 12 exercises that can be performed in seven minutes but achieve the equivalent of an hour’s workout. The catch is the following: you need to do them to the best of your abilities (high-intensity) and rest very little in between (10 seconds only). When rest intervals are too long though, it undermines the effectiveness of the workout. The 7 Minute Workout effectively increases your metabolism, so the benefits are in effect throughout the day.

The article goes into great detail as to why these 12 exercises were chosen in particular – it was not a random selection. For the sake of brevity, we have left out the details. From a practical standpoint though, we will point out that the exercises do not require any equipment, and therefore, can be performed anywhere and anytime. The researchers recommend doing the circuit 2-3 times if time allows.

What is the basis behind the workout though?

There is no debate in the fitness community that regular aerobic and resistance training results in increased physical energy, prevention of fatigue, decrease in insulin resistance (a major factor in Type II Diabetes development) and weight loss.

Traditional resistance training involves lifting weights for 8-12 repetitions and taking 1-2 minutes of rest. As a result, the sessions are rather long at 30 to 60 minutes and need to be done several times a week.

The “7 Minute Workout” does not abide by those rules. This engineered workout is based upon the concept of high-intensity circuit training or HICT. It is a combination of high-intensity aerobic and resistance training with limited rest placed in between. Numerous cited studies have shown that HICT achieves GREATER gains in SHORTER overall exercise time, than traditional workout routines.

What are the workout’s limitations?

The researches state that “although HICT can be an efficient means by which to improve health and decrease body fat, it may be inferior to creating absolute strength and power, specific endurance, and other specific performance variables”. In short, this is the routine for the masses, not the elite. If you are an athlete, this workout is likely not for you. This is for those with busy lives that want to simply become or stay healthy and wish to achieve that goal with minimal time commitment.

you'll start at 7 minutes but once you start seeing a change you'll want more...then it will take over your life!

this.

getting off your arse in the first place is the most difficult bit. once you start doing it properly and getting results the motivation looks after itself.

A potentially dangerous obsession with bodybuilding is increasing among men, according to experts.

Muscle dysmorphia has been described as a reverse form of anorexia, with sufferers believing they are never muscular enough.

Relatively little is known about the disorder, nicknamed 'bigorexia', as it was only formally recognised by doctors in 1997.

Dr Stuart Murray, a world expert on muscle dysmorphia, has estimated around 1% of the UK population has the illness or symptoms of it, but that could be just a fraction of the real picture because many sufferers are too ashamed to seek treatment.

"When we look at the literature over the last three decades we've seen the number of men dissatisfied with their body triple," he said.

"There's data suggesting men would be prepared to sacrifice years off their life for bigger biceps for instance which wasn't even heard of in the 70s or 80s, in the lay public at least."

Sufferers often adopt strict dietary regimes and would find it terrifying to miss a gym session.

Dr Murray said: "A gentleman I was working with had a broken wrist and he continued to train because the pain of potentially losing muscle far outweighed the pain of training with a broken wrist."

Edouard 'Spyk' Gheur, a former Hollywood stuntman, bodybuilder and model, used to consume 10,000 calories per day and spend six hours a day, six days a week in the gym.

But despite being 18 stone and abnormally muscular in the eyes of those around him, he still felt small.

He told Sky News: "I just never felt big enough. Every morning I'd wake up go to the bathroom and look in the mirror and I was thinking 'I need to be bigger'."

But his obsession came to a dramatic end when he suffered a heart attack after years of using steroids to help him achieve his impossible goal.

His main artery exploded, leaving him in a coma for six weeks.

Among the various theories behind the increase in cases of muscle dysmorphia is the suggestion that men are comparing themselves to the current Adonis-like movie stars.

The editor of Men's Fitness magazine, Nick Hutchings, said action heroes do appear to have changed shaped in recent years.

"We've gone from the likes of Bruce Willis to Jason Statham - the kind of gruff, very manly, but not particularly well-developed guy, to this kind of hyper-ripped star who looks capable of anything."

However, muscle dysmorphia experts are keen to stress that weight-lifting and visiting the gym are generally healthy activities.

Anyone worried that their exercise and eating habits are getting out of control can contact the Men Get Eating Disorders Too charity for help and advice.

Been out on the bike, 28 mile. Managed to come off twice, once over the handlebars and the whole way back was into a headwind. Fucked.

1,977 calories burned though so a massive Chinese is on the cards tonight.

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know a decent brand of running trainers?

My last pair were Karrimor - but I've read they've gone to shit after being bought by Sports Direct. I got a couple of hundred of miles out of them before the support went completely but I'm still a novice regarding running shoes. I know I need high arch but that's about it.

It feels applicable to tag @@Jill in this post :up:

Aye I've popped in but I've never been through the whole recommendation process. I did a test to establish I need high arch shoes - which I probably should have known before as my knees are goosed.

I'm probably looking at about £50 max for these like - just to get through the winter really!