Keeping fit

scotty84

225 -260 miles a week on the bike (usually in Heart rate threshold 3/4/5). 2 times a week at 5 a side.

Gone from 13 stone 10 to 12 stone in 4 months, gone down 2 sizes in my trousers and toned up.

Best thing about this is i can eat what i want though i have been reasonably sensible. I've also given up drinking 3 times a week, ( now once a week and only a few beers).

it's high intensity interval training. a instructor-led half an hour blast of plyometric exercises - so basically shitloads of burpees, squat jumps, dynamic push ups, jump lunges, shuttle runs etc with very little recovery time. the idea is to almost shock your body so you feel like you're going to puke.

it's 30 minutes of savagery - pushing yourself as hard as you can. but the feeling afterwards is bloody brilliant. i go to the class every week dreading it but leave it feeling like a new man and seem to have my most productive afternoons of the week on the day of this class. the thing i like about it is i can be back in my office in less than an hour and apparently you can burn up to 700 calories in just 30 minutes.

my cardio has improved massively since doing it a couple of times a week, which had helped me with weight training too and i've found i'm fucking starving all the time on the days i do the sessions but because i'm burning so many calories i'm having to eat a lot of food before i'm full, which is always a nice feeling.

more here -

it's high intensity interval training. a instructor-led half an hour blast of plyometric exercises - so basically shitloads of burpees, squat jumps, dynamic push ups, jump lunges, shuttle runs etc with very little recovery time. the idea is to almost shock your body so you feel like you're going to puke.

it's 30 minutes of savagery - pushing yourself as hard as you can. but the feeling afterwards is bloody brilliant. i go to the class every week dreading it but leave it feeling like a new man and seem to have my most productive afternoons of the week on the day of this class. the thing i like about it is i can be back in my office in less than an hour and apparently you can burn up to 700 calories in just 30 minutes.

my cardio has improved massively since doing it a couple of times a week, which had helped me with weight training too and i've found i'm fucking starving all the time on the days i do the sessions but because i'm burning so many calories i'm having to eat a lot of food before i'm full, which is always a nice feeling.

more here -

Looks fun. I do similar things in a bootcamp on a Thursday @ lunch. Not as heavy on cardio, but a lot of body weight stuff. Jump lunges can go f themselves.

Looks fun. I do similar things in a bootcamp on a Thursday @ lunch. Not as heavy on cardio, but a lot of body weight stuff. Jump lunges can go f themselves.

they're my kryptonite too :lol:

it is cheesy as a nice ripe brie like, though the version i go to isn't quite as american as the one in that video.

the good thing about it is that it's quick and i don't have loads of time these days to spare for training. and for me it works because i'd never push myself that hard on my own in just half an hour.

I walk 15 minutes morning and night to the station.

Play five a-side once a week and referee on Wednesday nights and Sunday's during the season.

Will occasionally go out on the bike, while the wife runs. I've tried jogging in the past but simply don't see the appeal - at what stage are these much vaunted endorphins supposed to kick in?

@@Barney you do this stuff on top of your footy training then?

No high fives.

I do a TRX class once a week and a boot camp, which has some similar exercises to the above, but incorporates kettle bells, dumb bells etc.

I work better with encouragement and a routine. Helps keep my work out varied too.

I used to think I was fit until I started doing those sort of classes and spinning a few years back.

I walk 15 minutes morning and night to the station.

Play five a-side once a week and referee on Wednesday nights and Sunday's during the season.

Will occasionally go out on the bike, while the wife runs. I've tried jogging in the past but simply don't see the appeal - at what stage are these much vaunted endorphins supposed to kick in?

What level do you referee at?

Never.

Running is the nufc of exercise - total crisp.

I like to run once a week in my rest days, (no chance doing it in between 12 hour nights).

I usually end up running by the NUFC training ground as it's nice and quiet and off the beaten track yet not too far from home. That video you put up, :lol: Jesus fucking Christ on his BMX!! Despite Ant's patter you don't have to be Irish to be laugh at it. The first one that attempted to high five me would get a 'How man fuck off' headed back his way. :lol:

I like to run once a week in my rest days, (no chance doing it in between 12 hour nights).

I usually end up running by the NUFC training ground as it's nice and quiet and off the beaten track yet not too far from home. That video you put up, :lol: Jesus fucking Christ on his BMX!! Despite Ant's patter you don't have to be Irish to be laugh at it. The first one that attempted to high five me would get a 'How man fuck off' headed back his way. :lol:

there's no high fiving at the one i do. there is an instructor shouting at you not to give up and keep going until the end of the set, but i quite like that. the one similarity i'm not a fan of is the cheesy music

I've started using my home gym, bought a couple of dumb bells and push up bars. For the last month I have been doing a 15-30 minute workout every day with all that (my own custom but well researched "routine") and I have lost a stone and a half since from 15 down to 13.5. My moobs have gone and my belly has gone. I neglected my arms though so my chest and abs are starting to look out of place which is why I bought the dumb bells. Just started using them this week and also started running yesterday to get rid of excess flab too.

Also had a major diet change...I only eat cereal for breakfast, oven cooked plain tasteless chicken for dinner and a curry every night. I snack on apples, pea pods and almonds throughout the day instead of chocolate and crisps. Only drink water now (apart from a friday neet) and the odd fresh pineapple juice for a treat.

Verdict...it works for me :)

I usually run 4-5 times a week, ranging from 4 to 7 mile runs depending on time/how arsed I am, although doing a 10 miler once a week at the minute with the GNR coming up. Only exercise I do really since I gave up football, although looking to get back in to that in next few weeks. Still love running, although the winter runs can be a little bit difficult to get yourself motivated for I still get out as often. Just download some cracking podcasts and away you go. Find it stress relieving and bit of escapism as well.