Keeping fit

scotty84

I've been recommended yoga to try and improve my back. Might give it a shot.

Sounds sensible. I'd love to get into yoga, but I don't have the discipline to do it at home, and I don't need to be the inflexible gimp in a room full of yummy mummies.

Re headphones, the most I've ever spent is 80 quid, and you do notice a difference. I have a tendency of catching the wire on things and ripping them out my head, which knacks them over time.

Anyway, I wouldn't recommend anyone buy a hundred quid pair to go for a run in, but everybody should have more self respect than to use free ones that come with a device. The Apple ones in particular are dreadful.

Sounds sensible. I'd love to get into yoga, but I don't have the discipline to do it at home, and I don't need to be the inflexible gimp in a room full of yummy mummies.

I attempted some yoga/pilates in my living room using some videos I found on Youtube and I was nearly dying of shame just being home alone attempting it. :lol: I must've looked bloody ridiculous, I could barely do any of it.

• 11 months later...

SAU2230_400_1.jpg

These monsters

Just gave these a test run. I hate wearing shoes in as it generally knacks & even though they are ''supportive'' or whatever you don't feel it till you've knacked yourself wearing them in. Ah well, they looked cool as owt in the sun :D

Did you get yourself fitted for them at all? I feel like I ought to do that as I'm told more suitable shoes will help me kick on a bit running-wise, but then I'm already doing reasonably well with the tatty Asics I picked up from S***** D***** nine months ago, so...

• 8 months later...

Did you get yourself fitted for them at all? I feel like I ought to do that as I'm told more suitable shoes will help me kick on a bit running-wise, but then I'm already doing reasonably well with the tatty Asics I picked up from S***** D***** nine months ago, so...

In hindsight, running in those Asics for longer than I should have done may have been a factor in me hobbling around for the best part of two months this summer. :unsure2:

Got a smashing pair of Brooks now that were properly fitted. They didn't come cheap, but being able to walk is useful too. :dunno: I've got a hilly 10k race in Greenwich Park lined up for just before Christmas, because that'll be delightful. On Wednesdays I tend to be in leafy Bromley for meetings so I've taken to running home, gradually trying to step up the distance a bit - did 10k two weeks ago, 11k last week and 12k yesterday, which is literally the furthest I've ever run (I "did" the GNR several years ago, but I was a 16st alkie at the time so let's just say it didn't involve a huge amount of actual running), but I'm acutely aware that I'd be finding it all less of a struggle if I complemented that with some targeted gym work. I've got a cheapo membership for the local budget gym but finding the motivation is proving an absolute pain (#firstworldproblems, I know). Basically I've let myself get sufficiently out of shape that I know it's going to be even harder to get back into it again. :glare:

So anyway that's my mumsnet update.

Keep them coming. I'm a massive bore when it comes to fitness and lifestyle patter.

I quite enjoy letting myself go at this time of year. It's usually around mid November when early nights start rolling in that I start eating way more crap and getting into the hibernation mindset. December is a write off anyway with all the Christmas piss ups and the indulgent eating.

I still train 3-4 times a week so I don't balloon into CT levels of obesity but I say embrace it. January is the month to burn off the excess holiday fat.

Keep them coming. I'm a massive bore when it comes to fitness and lifestyle patter.

I quite enjoy letting myself go at this time of year. It's usually around mid November when early nights start rolling in that I start eating way more crap and getting into the hibernation mindset. December is a write off anyway with all the Christmas piss ups and the indulgent eating.

I still train 3-4 times a week so I don't balloon into CT levels of obesity but I say embrace it. January is the month to burn off the excess holiday fat.

:lol:

I'm still under 12 stone. If I lose much more I'll be like one of those skinny models!!!!

I'd never bothered with the bikes at the gym until a few months ago but I love them now. Really feels like an excellent cardio workout and I feel like I've made good progress with resistance and speed since I started, I'm able to keep moving up the settings every so often. It helps that I can either read or watch something on Netflix on my phone while I exercise. :lol:

Looking at buying a bike in the new year to get out for longer rides. I've all but given up on running, yet have just bought Great North Run membership to guarantee a place for the next 3 years so I'll have to get back into it at some point. Hoping the biking will keep my fitness level up in the meantime while I talk myself back round to running.

The good thing about cycling is that you can go out for hours on end, so you get a proper cardio workout and not feel the same level of knackered as you do from a run - so it's more enjoyable and in the summer you can head out into the countryside and it's properly nice.

I wouldn't get into riding on the roads during commute times. You're asking for a brain injury if you do that imo.

I wouldn't get into riding on the roads during commute times. You're asking for a brain injury if you do that imo.

Nah fuck that. :lol: I hate being on a bus and seeing a cyclist pedalling away right in front of it. Makes me feel proper nervous. Where I live in Killingworth is very well connected for cycle routes so that would be my starting point.