Syria

Anorthernsoul

It's not that bad.

I thought today was quite a good day. Until I watched this report

[tweet]

[/tweet]

I just blubbed a bit in front of my kids watching that. Heart wrenching stuff. What a fucking mess Syria is, right on the door step to Europe too. These are troubling times. Nothing you can do though.

I wondered about that. It feels like we should be doing something. If ever there was a case for intervention, here it is. This is a humanitarian crisis as bad as any in recent memory. But what the fuck do you do? And can you intervene without making things even worse? Just a depressingly awful state of play

Aleppo mostly liberated. :)

Plenty of celebration and Russian engineers dismantling indiscriminate mines laid by a retreating Al Nusra. They have also been caught trying to burn buses for civilians trying to get to Idlib.

Abdul Ben Karim big on Twitter going on about genocide turns out to be an American citizen with radical sympathies. :lol:

Edited by Park Life

It's an atrocity for sure. Assad, the rebels, ISIS. There isn't anything approaching a good option for those poor people. It's a hopeless situation for them all without adding the authoritarian governments of Russia and Iran and Saudi Arabia into the mix. What hope do the Syrian people have?

It's an atrocity for sure. Assad, the rebels, ISIS. There isn't anything approaching a good option for those poor people. It's a hopeless situation for them all without adding the authoritarian governments of Russia and Iran and Saudi Arabia into the mix. What hope do the Syrian people have?

None, IMO. They've been thrown under the bus of geopolitical bluster and shows of strength.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/picture/2016/dec/18/assad-no-peace-for-the-wicked-cartoon

Nice cartoon from the Guardian on the Syrian issue but what is interesting is the comments. They are nearly universal in condemnation of the media (including the Guardian) for assuming Assad and Russia to be the bad guys, and all such posts receive a large number of recommends. A number of the people posting these are commenters that I've seen on the Guardian for years, so I know they aren't Putinbots (who are always obvious anyway). This for me is interesting and demonstrates in a single comment section that 1) a large number of intelligent people who read the Guardian think the MSM is misleading people over Syria and 2) irrespective of who is right, this means that, as I've stated before, mistrust of the MSM is at an all time high.

That video I posted last week seems to demonstrate that the MSM don't even have reliable sources on the ground in Syria...

Edited by Rayvin

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/picture/2016/dec/18/assad-no-peace-for-the-wicked-cartoon

Nice cartoon from the Guardian on the Syrian issue but what is interesting is the comments. They are nearly universal in condemnation of the media (including the Guardian) for assuming Assad and Russia to be the bad guys, and all such posts receive a large number of recommends. A number of the people posting these are commenters that I've seen on the Guardian for years, so I know they aren't Putinbots (who are always obvious anyway). This for me is interesting and demonstrates in a single comment section that 1) a large number of intelligent people who read the Guardian think the MSM is misleading people over Syria and 2) irrespective of who is right, this means that, as I've stated before, mistrust of the MSM is at an all time high.

That video I posted last week seems to demonstrate that the MSM don't even have reliable sources on the ground in Syria...

Most articles I only really read the comments. :D

Edited by Park Life

I'm so fucking soft these days I have to distance myself from this sort of thing. I can't handle the details. I don't know how you do your job, Gloom.

I don't mean that as a dig at all, btw.

There's been no msm in Aleppo for years because the "rebels" are basically the same al Qaeda affiliated cunts who beheaded Alan Henning. Peter Hitchens wrote a good piece on it in yesterday's mail on Sunday.

Edited by PaddockLad

There's been no msm in Aleppo for years because the "rebels" are basically!the same al Qaeda affiliated cunts who beheaded Alan Henning. Peter Hitchens wrote a good piece on it in yesterday's mail on Sunday.

Guardian still getting its 'facts' from some bloke in Coventry. :lol:

To go back to my original post, my point wasn't 'Assad is misunderstood'. My point was that clearly mistrust of the media is now rampant and is touching far more people than just me and Parky. At what point does this become a failure of the media? Or do we just accept that Russia has played the propaganda blinder of all time?

Have to admit to being curious to learn how the UK based SN4HR knows exactly who is killing who, although obviously the government forces will be doing the majority of it since they're the ones making inroads.

''That is why you never see pictures of armed males in eastern Aleppo, just beautifully composed photographs of handsome young unarmed men lifting wounded children from the rubble, with the light just right.'' Hitchens

Edited by Park Life

To go back to my original post, my point wasn't 'Assad is misunderstood'. My point was that clearly mistrust of the media is now rampant and is touching far more people than just me and Parky. At what point does this become a failure of the media? Or do we just accept that Russia has played the propaganda blinder of all time?

Have to admit to being curious to learn how the UK based SN4HR knows exactly who is killing who, although obviously the government forces will be doing the majority of it since they're the ones making inroads.

It's nothing to do with Assad. Father Christmas could have been running Syria and they would still be regime changed. Or attempted as now is the case. The backlash against Putin is because he stepped in to Syria and rolled back IS. This is purely for the masses. Germany for instance are tired of the sanctions and had very good relations with Russia and they don't want to be dragged on America's behalf into some kind of open conflict with Russia. Alarm bells have been going off here ever since the Ukraine antics by the EU, CIA, NGO's and Nazis in Ukraine.

It is the job of the MSM as they did with Iraq and Libya to cheer lead from the grandstands. You'll notice only after the conflict is over the soul searching begins. ;) If they don't they get access to the inner circle cut off and other bad things start to happen to them. The ratio of balanced coverage of Syria is about 50/1 I reckon.

No longer do they pretend to try and discriminate between the various Jihadi factions....They are all routinely known as 'rebels' now.

Edited by Park Life

A lot of the pictures we use on video are from Reuters -often self shot stuff uploaded to social media and not indepndently verified so we always have to include a disclaimer reinforcing that.

We do have regional reporters but most are filing copy from over the border.

It's not entirely clear what is happening on the ground unless you're unfortunate enough to be there. I'm frankly amazed by some of the crass comments though. Clearly there is a fucked up proxy war playing out here, but to suggest that Assad and the Russians don't have blood on their hands and the "MSM" is somehow rewriting the narrative is staggering.

It's not just staggering, it's willfully stupid. As if the fucking Iranians aren't playing for oil and power. The phrase MSM was invented to undermine trust in the only media in the world with a semblance of independence.

Let's face it, what sort of shit journalist thinks 'I want to report the truth but I don't want to reach the masses'? An ineffectually stupid one.

It's not just staggering, it's willfully stupid. As if the fucking Iranians aren't playing for oil and power. The phrase MSM was invented to undermine trust in the only media in the world with a semblance of independence.

Let's face it, what sort of shit journalist thinks 'I want to report the truth but I don't want to reach the masses'? An ineffectually stupid one.

Isn't the claim more that all of the information they get is filtered through government bodies/backed institutions? I blame the media for narratives like those espoused by the Ctrl-Left, but not so much on this kind of thing. I do struggle to see where their information is coming from though, given that such a large amount of counter information seems to be out there. As I say, the suggestion appears to be that all of a sudden the Russian propaganda team have become absolute world beaters. You'd think that if they had done that, we'd have upped the ante against Russia to extreme proportions.

People believe what they want, even intelligent people like Parky deride the media and then without a hint of irony say 1 in 50 articles are truthful. That sort of bizarre tautology just shows how inept people are at filtering nonsense. Russian propaganda was always at work, it's just become more effective due the real MSM, the Internet and social media. Also people are now willfully stupid due to their insatiable consumption of social media. I despair when I look around me at morons instagramming, facebooking, snapchatting and tweeting everything. The role of information has also changed, we are now becoming producers of media not just consumers which means that our relationship with the truth is changing too.

Edited by ChezGiven