Syria

Anorthernsoul

10 hours ago, Christmas Tree said:

What’s that got to do with it being a funny video?

She is unquestionably a freak. Freaks are funny, this is true.

But not all stop the war demonstrators are freaks, she is clearly in the minority, and yet the ITV hack chose to tweet this particular voxpop. 

5 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

If there was no attack, you do wonder why the Russians and Syrians are taking so long to let the opcw inspect the site. (Now scheduled for tomorrow, 5 days after they arrived).

2 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

If there was no attack, you do wonder why the Russians and Syrians are taking so long to let the opcw inspect the site. (Now scheduled for tomorrow, 5 days after they arrived).

I don't care if there was an attack or not these airstrikes will do fuck all as they did fuck all last time there was a chemical attack.

12 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

What if there was an attack and it was carried out by the rebels?

Given that basically the entire Western World had publicly announced that Assad would be staying and that he had effectively "won", an attack by the Syrians using chemweps makes little sense either.

Edited by Rayvin

3 minutes ago, ewerk said:

No one wants us to go to war but the alternative to air strikes was to do nothing with any chance of having an effect.

The alternative was to go through the proper channels.

50 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

Some yank reporter on BBC breakfast this morning was being shown the very missile that delivered the chemical attack, I think he was with the same group of journalists as Robert Fisk was. I think my point is that journalistic truth is fuckin dead and that makes informed comment even for the smartest among us very difficult. It's not that I don't want to believe any MSM outlet because I don't agree with what they are presenting as news, I just think they could well be churning out bullshit as content because they absolutely have to broadcast "something". The whole thing depresses me almost as much as the thousands of dead Syrians. We still don't know what happened and are unlikely ever  to know for sure  But we've still bombed Syria. Again. Creating more jihadis. And on it goes. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Some yank reporter on BBC breakfast this morning was being shown the very missile that delivered the chemical attack, I think he was with the same group of journalists as Robert Fisk was. I think my point is that journalistic truth is fuckin dead and that makes informed comment even for the smartest among us very difficult. It's not that I don't want to believe any MSM outlet because I don't agree with what they are presenting as news, I just think they could well be churning out bullshit as content because they absolutely have to broadcast "something". The whole thing depresses me almost as much as the thousands of dead Syrians. We still don't know what happened and are unlikely ever  to know for sure  But we've still bombed Syria. Again. Creating more jihadis. And on it goes. 

We need to start pushing critical thinking at school level to combat misinformation, but aside from that, the media needs to be held to actual standards for their reporting. Lying by omission is the biggest problem IMO.

I note that the reporting on 'fake news' has turned people back to the MSM though, public trust is now back to 60%. Staggering IMO, but if people have nowhere decent to turn, I guess the least bad option becomes the only viable one. Interestingly the report says more and more people simply aren't reading news anymore. That's presumably the real consequence of all of this.

As for Syria, yeah, we'll never know what the deal actually was.

2 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

:lol:  

What is the point in having a "UN", or the Convention against chemical weapons, if we're simply not going to pay any attention to them? I assume you support the wholesale disbanding of both institutions then? Or do their rules not apply to us, making them instead an tool by which powerful nations keep smaller ones in check?

I can't get my head around why so many people think it's acceptable to just fly off the handle like this in response to such things. We are being led by the least competent leaders any of us have ever seen, and we'll criticise them left and right about everything, right up until the opportunity to go and blow up other countries is on the table, and then they have our full, unquestioning, compliant backing.

7 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

What is the point in having a "UN", or the Convention against chemical weapons, if we're simply not going to pay any attention to them? I assume you support the wholesale disbanding of both institutions then? Or do their rules not apply to us, making them instead an tool by which powerful nations keep smaller ones in check?

I can't get my head around why so many people think it's acceptable to just fly off the handle like this in response to such things. We are being led by the least competent leaders any of us have ever seen, and we'll criticise them left and right about everything, right up until the opportunity to go and blow up other countries is on the table, and then they have our full, unquestioning, compliant backing.

And (as if that wasn't bad enough), by extension, so does Donald Trump.

25 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

@Ant - please can we introduce a three strikes and you're banned policy for anyone who uses the MSM acronym? ta

It's literally in your profile information :lol: Banned after 3 posts.

12 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

It's literally in your profile information :lol: Banned after 3 posts.

i'm exempt, a bit like how black people are free to use the N word 

• Haha 1