Syria

Anorthernsoul

28 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Turkey wouldn’t have dared to invade with Trump’s premature pull out.

Ah I see, so I have the chronology off - The US presence was creating a deadlock within which no progress was being made by anyone. Their departure has created a power vacuum that Erdogan has sailed into. I was under the impression that Erdogan had been intending to do this for some time and the US had in effect simply jumped out of the way.

In terms of moving away from deadlock, what options did the US have? Is it feasible that continued operations would have seen them secure the Kurdish borders?

On 10/14/2019 at 22:39, Rayvin said:

Ah I see, so I have the chronology off - The US presence was creating a deadlock within which no progress was being made by anyone. Their departure has created a power vacuum that Erdogan has sailed into. I was under the impression that Erdogan had been intending to do this for some time and the US had in effect simply jumped out of the way.

In terms of moving away from deadlock, what options did the US have? Is it feasible that continued operations would have seen them secure the Kurdish borders?

The US could have stuck around, but this is part of Trump's bring them home strategy, which has no thought for the consequences of doing so.  There were only about 100 SF troops there, as I understood it, and now Kurds are dying and IS fighters are getting loose.

This has always been Erdogan's plan but he is another fascist, who has been playing at being Trump longer than Trump.  

Of course, by causing an issue in the first place (see China, Mexico, N Korea, etc), Trump will then try to "resolve the issues" prior to the next election, thereby showing his diplomatic skills and then claiming he should have the Nobel Peace Prize. 

Who cares about the Kurds anyway - they weren't on the beaches (ironically, from someone who managed to avoid going to Vietnam).

Trump 101 :( 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RobinRobin said:

The US could have stuck around, but this is part of Trump's bring them home strategy, which has no thought for the consequences of doing so.  There were only about 100 SF troops there, as I understood it, and now Kurds are dying and IS fighters are getting loose.

This has always been Erdogan's plan but he is another fascist, who has been playing at being Trump longer than Trump.  

Of course, by causing an issue in the first place (see China, Mexico, N Korea, etc), Trump will then try to "resolve the issues" prior to the next election, thereby showing his diplomatic skills and then claiming he should have the Nobel Peace Prize. 

Who cares about the Kurds anyway - they weren't on the beaches (ironically, from someone who managed to avoid going to Vietnam).

Trump 101 :( 

But as I understand it, the Russians now have boots on the ground along the Kurdish border. I don't think Erdogan's offensive is going to be able to go much further tbh. And I'd prefer the Russians doing it over Trump.

4 hours ago, Rayvin said:

But as I understand it, the Russians now have boots on the ground along the Kurdish border. I don't think Erdogan's offensive is going to be able to go much further tbh. And I'd prefer the Russians doing it over Trump.

I think Trump has been advised that ISIS have been diminished already to the point that they aren't half the threat they were and just let them sort it out amongst themselves. He can't lose in his eyes in this situation, the US brought ISIS under control and if ISIS do mount any sort of offensive anywhere it's the Turks and Russians fault. 

Edited by Anorthernsoul
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Anorthernsoul said:

I think Trump has been advised that ISIS have been diminished already to the point that they aren't half the threat they were and just let them sort it out amongst themselves. He can't lose in his eyes in this situation, the US brought ISIS under control and if ISIS do mount any sort of offensive anywhere it's the Turks and Russians fault. 

I think you give him too much credit