Syria

Anorthernsoul

Wonder if Damsacus had a chat with Russia before accepting this err "proposal"? :lol: My moneys on the yanks making all the right diplomatic noises on this Russian offer then still taking out Syria's chemical weapons by air strikes. Theres no fuckin way the yanks will accept a stitch up like this.

What is happening in Syria feels like one of the last gasps of the age of the military dictators. An old way of running the world is still desperately trying to cling to power, but the underlying feeling in the west is that somehow Assad's archaic and cruel military rule will inevitably collapse and Syrians will move forward into a democratic age.

That may, or may not, happen, but what is extraordinary is that we have been here before. Between 1947 and 1949 an odd group of idealists and hard realists in the American government set out to intervene in Syria. Their aim was to liberate the Syrian people from a corrupt autocratic elite - and allow true democracy to flourish. They did this because they were convinced that "the Syrian people are naturally democratic" and that all that was neccessary was to get rid of the elites - and a new world of "peace and progress" would inevitably emerge.

What resulted was a disaster, and the consequences of that disaster then led, through a weird series of bloody twists and turns, to the rise to power of the Assad family and the widescale repression in Syria today.

I thought I would tell that story....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/adamcurtis/posts/the_baby_and_the_baath_water

• 1 year later...

PM and DM talk of bombing inside Syria. They can't wait to get back in. Labour are making noises like they are up for it as well. Air Power simply isn't the ans to a highly mobile and stealthy force like ISIS in a region where there are many different sides, constantly changing front lines and almost everyone with differing objectives.

PM and DM talk of bombing inside Syria. They can't wait to get back in. Labour are making noises like they are up for it as well. Air Power simply isn't the ans to a highly mobile and stealthy force like ISIS in a region where there are many different sides, constantly changing front lines and almost everyone with differing objectives.

Makes up 2 of the Mil-Ind Complex's Five-a-Day though, doesn't it.

Aye it's bollocks. More dead civilians on the way, more recruitment fodder for IS, and the problem gets worse. Great idea Dave, you fucking cretin.

The fuck did I do?!

Oh you're just a cunt.

:lol:

You're getting a bit feisty, 1st the poor bugger in the factory, now this. You need to calm down Skynet.

Aye it's bollocks. More dead civilians on the way, more recruitment fodder for IS, and the problem gets worse. Great idea Dave, you fucking cretin.

Only doing his masters bidding.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Caught a bit of the BBC news last night, what with their US centric opinion and their five minute non story on Corbyn, 1700 jobs being lost in the north east with a brief mention, I'm starting to think if this is bastion of impartiality, then the likes of sky can please themselves with what they put out.

(Getting back on topic, the BBC news reporter standing in Washington reporting US concerns about exactly who is being bombed out there with no trace of irony on his face did make me raise an eyebrow).

Good sign the Saudi's aren't happy.

Saudi diplomat urges Russia to end strikes against targets in Syria

Speaking at the United Nations in New York on Wednesday, Abdallah Al-Mouallimi said: "The delegation of my country expresses its profound concern regarding the military operations which Russian forces have carried out in Homs and Hama today, places where Isil forces are not present. These attacks led to a number of innocent victims. We demand it stop immediately and not recur."

Have it.

plane_3459159b.jpg

Edited by Park Life

Good sign the Saudi's aren't happy.

Saudi diplomat urges Russia to end strikes against targets in Syria

Speaking at the United Nations in New York on Wednesday, Abdallah Al-Mouallimi said: "The delegation of my country expresses its profound concern regarding the military operations which Russian forces have carried out in Homs and Hama today, places where Isil forces are not present. These attacks led to a number of innocent victims. We demand it stop immediately and not recur."

Have it.

plane_3459159b.jpg

The Saudis actually care about innocent victims?

We'll be getting daily reports of all strikes with meticulous body counts and so on....This will be in direct contrast to any reporting on the NATO strikes. :lol:

I can hear the CIA assets, Blackwater and mercenaries squeal from here as their fuel and arms dumps get vaporized.