Syria

Anorthernsoul

No you're right, plenty of Middle England wankers deserve some stick too. As well as a few poshos

It was one posh cunt's reckless politcal gamble that made it even a remote possibility. He's done with public service now though, bless him.

It was always a danger that the electorate would be stupid enough to vote against the country's interest, so perhaps the ultimate blame lies with Cameron, who basically gambled our future away on the back of a popularity contest

Basically, yeah. If it was so much in the country's interests to stay in the EU (as he argued) then it wasn't something that should be decided by a plebiscite. Especially on a complex issue that most laymen couldn't really get their heads around and even more so on an emotive subject. The timing of it was fucking awful too. Brilliant stuff all round from the best PM in the world eva

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

So, listening to the radio this morning and two former diplomats were interviewed, one US and one Russian. They were both of the opinion that war between the US and Russia is now a real possibility due to the personalities of the two "alpha male" dickheads in charge of the respective countries. This is becoming eerily reminiscent of the cause of the nuclear war in that horrific 1980s film "Threads".

Makes me laugh people thinking Trump would be a more stabilising and less hawkish leader than Clinton. In all seriousness, who is more likely to trigger WW3? I've said it before, but maybe you have to have been alive during the cold war to appreciate the risks involved. Somehow I don't think neoliberalism will be such a concern when the world is reduced to a apocalyptic waste ground.

Edited by Renton

It's canny simple to me. Let's say the chance of WW3 in the next 5 years was 0.01% under Clinton. Let's be optimistic and say it's 1% under Trump. Given the consequences, why the fuck would anyone take the increase in risk?

Of course, my fatal mistake here is listening to so called experts spouting fake news. :)

Edited by Renton

It's not Trump it's the neo-cons. Most of which he brought into his administration. I doubt he's even had a proper discussion on Syria or really knows what's going on. No matter who's in charge Balkanisation of the Middle east is the goal. What I am annoyed about is that he's gone against his non-interventionist post election rhetoric and played straight into the hands of the Chicken Hawks.

Edited by Park Life

It's canny simple to me. Let's say the chance of WW3 in the next 5 years was 0.01% under Clinton. Let's be optimistic and say it's 1% under Trump. Given the consequences, why the fuck would anyone take the increase in risk?

Of course, my fatal mistake here US listening to so called experts spouting fake news. :)

Given everything Clinton has said about putting Russia back in their box, I just don't think that's a supportable statement. You're basing this entirely on your 'feeling' that Trump is more likely to take us to war. To say again, as I note it has been entirely unanswered previously, as usual, Trump's response in Syria was less severe than what Clinton was calling for. Which was for all of his airbases to be destroyed. How do you think Russia would have responded to that, exactly?