Syria

Anorthernsoul

So it is Trump then.

Yeah by default. He's outgunned by the State Dept, the intelligence services (with budgets to maintain) and the long term interests of the deep state (Balkanisation).

There is delusion of such proportions at play it is truly frightening.

Edited by Park Life

Given everything Clinton has said about putting Russia back in their box, I just don't think that's a supportable statement. You're basing this entirely on your 'feeling' that Trump is more likely to take us to war. To say again, as I note it has been entirely unanswered previously, as usual, Trump's response in Syria was less severe than what Clinton was calling for. Which was for all of his airbases to be destroyed. How do you think Russia would have responded to that, exactly?

What she's said out of power and without advisors isn't relevant. The experts I referred to were concerned about the clash of personalities between Trump and Putin. Neither can back down.

If you honestly believe the world is a safer place under Trump, it will just have to :lol:.

What she's said out of power and without advisors isn't relevant. The experts I referred to were concerned about the clash of personalities between Trump and Putin. Neither can back down.

If you honestly believe the world is a safer place under Trump, it will just have to :lol:.

I see :lol: So you think Clinton would have backed down in the face of Putin's alpha male persona?

Clinton would have been busy with brinkmanship and no fly zones from the get go. Both as bad as each other. McCain and the like seem to think Russia will back down.

I don't think Putin is enjoying this btw. He put heavy faith in a peace process and looking like an international statesmen, and Trump has prevented him from being able to do this now. Given that the Russians thought Trump was going to be a good thing for them, it seems clear that Trump is to Russia what Putin was to the West. An initially positive development that turned sour very quickly.

I don't think Putin is enjoying this btw. He put heavy faith in a peace process and looking like an international statesmen, and Trump has prevented him from being able to do this now. Given that the Russians thought Trump was going to be a good thing for them, it seems clear that Trump is to Russia what Putin was to the West. An initially positive development that turned sour very quickly.

They might have said all that shit but they didn't believe it. Russia knows the Neo-Cons still hold sway.

I see :lol: So you think Clinton would have backed down in the face of Putin's alpha male persona?

Yes. She would have used diplomatic or economic approaches. Russia is an economic dwarf with a struggling economy. It's dangerous though because of its nuclear arsenal. Has Trump reassured you about the nuclear arms race? :lol:

No, Trump's comments on the arms race were absolutely absurd.

Economic sanctions on Russia, and 'diplomatic measures' against them, such as destabilising key allies, are what brought us to this point IMO. The Russian economy is struggling, of course, because of the US.

The real question here, IMO, is why the West is so hellbent on provoking Russia at all.

No, Trump's comments on the arms race were absolutely absurd.

Economic sanctions on Russia, and 'diplomatic measures' against them, such as destabilising key allies, are what brought us to this point IMO. The Russian economy is struggling, of course, because of the US.

The real question here, IMO, is why the West is so hellbent on provoking Russia at all.

They are angry they the plan to bite off Ukraine failed and the ongoing Balkanisation of the ME is on hold. The plan is for pipelines to bring gas and oil through Syria to undercut Russian supplies to Europe and push Russia closer to financial jeopardy.

And your analysis of that photo is...?

Looks like the kind of pipe/tube debris from rocket artillery rather than a bomb dropped from a plane. Also it looks like it has been flattened rather than 'exploded' which has ruptured one end suggesting another explosive device was used to breach it. Obviously I'm not an expert but it looks dodgy. At least last time James Clapper had the good sense to tell Obama that they couldn't be sure. Would it be difficult for Al Nusra to co-ordinate the explosion with a Syrian air strike?

Edited by Park Life

Looks like the kind of pipe/tube debris from rocket artillery rather than a bomb dropped from a plane. Also it looks like it has been flattened rather than 'exploded' which has ruptured one end suggesting another explosive device was used to breach it. Obviously I'm not an expert but it looks dodgy. At least last time James Clapper had the good sense to tell Obama that they couldn't be sure. Would it be difficult for Al Nusra to co-ordinate the explosion with a Syrian air strike?

Fair enough - I don't suppose we're ever going to hear the truth of this, frankly.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...