A telling note from George Caulkin

The Fish

@CaulkinTheTimes noted:

Couple of things. Firstly and most seriously, it's important you know that your frustration, dismay, disappointment - all those things - is understood and appreciated. It really is. It's also shared. I've watched NUFC all my life which - I'm 43, although look MUCH younger - includes a large proportion of time outside the PL and a lot of mediocrity. It's an old, old, old refrain, but I yearn for the day when supporters have a club worthy of their support. I've long since given up holding my breath.

Secondly, that frustration is channeled in the media. If you've read Lee or Mark's pieces recently, you'll know that. I've written about Joe Kinnear. In the past, I've written a long piece in the paper which repeatedly stated 'Ashley Out'. At the moment, short of putting our hands around Alan Pardew's neck, shaking him vigorously and shouting "WHERE HAS THE MONEY GONE ALAN? ANSWER ME ALAN?" there's not a lot more to be done. I had a decent relationship with Derek Llambias - for all that I hated some of the decisions - and used that to get steers on signings or non-signings and was able to ask the sort of financial questions you mention. There was a plan. A structure. There's now a vacuum. Persistent attempts to get answers from Mike Ashley have got nowhere and Joe Kinnear's evidence simply isn't reliable. We can observe, attempt to explain and criticise, but the people who need to be asked 'the hard questions' aren't listening. But at least have a look and see what's out there. There's a lot of froth, I'd grant you, but there are some good, hard-hitting articles, too.

Thirdly - and this is the least important part, but I want to say it anyway - I'm not on twitter to provide a rolling news service or, indeed, counselling for anger management. I'm here because I choose to be. I enjoy the conversation, the exchange of information and opinion. Sometimes it's black humour, but I'm also here to have fun. I don't want to spend my working life feeling constantly angry, because I've done that before and it's corrosive. Think of the 'joke tweets' as my way of showing my frustration.

Best wishes,

George.

what prompted that? don't tell me they gave off to the journos for not taking a hardline stance :lol:

Yeah, quite a few people, but it was @UTDforNewcastle that prompted the note I think.

Edited by The Fish

They've invited him, Mark Douglas et al to the meeting they're sorting out. Thing is, the journalists won't be there as the mouthpieces of the club, nor as the people who've the power to hold the club accountable. So what you'll get is 30 or so angry Newcastle fans stating their anger at the club's position and turning angrily towards the journalists and asking what they intend to do about it. Angrily.

Now, as has been said before, if there was a clear message from the fans; a "This is the reasonable destination we want to arrive at, this is the route we want to take to achieve it and this is how we're going to accomplish it", if that was what the Journalists were met with, they'd be able to get behind it. Give the clear voice a megaphone, and sympathetically write about it.

As it stands, if the megaphone were to be put in front of the angry men, all that would happen is a lot of white noise would get louder.

Given how keen The Alcoholic was to speak to the press on his recent appointment as DoF, can we expect he'll be making himself as available to all and sundry to receive his judgement on his signings?

The fucking drunk.

He lives here and has supported the club for 40 odd years so should know more than the two muppets at Journal / Chronicle.

All true, but he's not the local press.

He lives here and has supported the club for 40 odd years so should know more than the two muppets at Journal / Chronicle.

Curious thing to say. The muppets at the Chronicle presumably live in toon and are probably a similar age (Caulkin's 43 isn't he?). I think he's more intelligent and better connected certainly.....

He works for the press and he's local :lol:

Every thumb is a finger, but not every finger is a thumb.

It's pretty straight forward, he may be a local member of the Press, but he is not Local Press.