Evolution not Devolution?

south_cheshire_toon

OK, so the lack of signing has created a host of posts from people saying all sorts of shit about Ashley, Ambition, Pardew, Kinear and the rest.

Question I have is ‘Isn’t is best that we don’t, year in, year out, sign a shed load of players?’

– with the simple fact being that you’d want your players to evolve together and form a good coherent team and then from this the team should perform better and thus progress.

I know that players only have a certain shelf life and need to be replace as and when needed.

An example of doing things the wrong way, if you take Liverpool as an example, they, from when Houilier took over and ever manager since, has signed on average, 7 to 9 players each season, and because of the lack of bonding, the team didn’t perform and hence their shite position in the league,

The owner says we must do better, so manager sacked, and the wheel goes full circle and the next manager does the same.

It doesn’t take a genius to work out you can’t carry on working like that forever if you want things to improve.

It’s this situation, I feel the club doesn’t want to get itself into, I mean, I read that at Liverpool, Voridin ? a slacky striker, was paid £60k a week, yet only played a few times, Downing the same and Henderson is on even more.

So in a way the club has to think about the bigger picture, it has to come up with a business plan and stick to it.

Problem is that this ‘plan’ will never be shown to the outside world – so the supporters feel as though they are being let down.

Thoughts ?

Their plan is to save as much money as possible whilst remaining a premier league team.

Our first 11 is reasonable yes - but take a look at the bench to see why people might be angered at why we can't be bothered to strengthen - and that's before injuries enter the equation.

There are glaring holes in the squad that SHOULD of been addressed in the Summer, but weren't.

Our starting XI itself is solid enough, but we have shocking depth, a couple of injuries to say Coloccini and Cisse, then we're really up shit creek so to speak.

Yes it can be good for the team to not have a massive amounts of in's and out's so they are settled, but you don't ignore glaring holes in the squad to facilitate that. Just because Liverpool have bought some utter shit over the years shouldn't mean we should ignore holes in the squad because we're scared of unsettling a couple of players, or that they might be useless. Then again if we actually spent money, we'd probably of only needed to add 3 or 4 players or so to have a successful window and really solidify the squad, rather then bringing in say 14 new signings a la the mackems.

Of course in reality, it's just Ashley not wanting to spend any money rather then anything else.

Edited by CharlesInsomnia

OK, so the lack of signing has created a host of posts from people saying all sorts of shit about Ashley, Ambition, Pardew, Kinear and the rest.

Question I have is ‘Isn’t is best that we don’t, year in, year out, sign a shed load of players?’

Nobody was clamouring for loads of players every year. Just that glaring weaknesses are addressed. Weaknesses that, by rights, should have been addressed already. We only seem like we're calling for lots of players because while others sign players each window, we don't

– with the simple fact being that you’d want your players to evolve together and form a good coherent team and then from this the team should perform better and thus progress.

That's fine, but part of managing a squad is maintaining impetus, new signings are a way of doing this.

I know that players only have a certain shelf life and need to be replace as and when needed.

An example of doing things the wrong way, if you take Liverpool as an example, they, from when Houilier took over and ever manager since, has signed on average, 7 to 9 players each season, and because of the lack of bonding, the team didn’t perform and hence their shite position in the league,

I don't think it's any where near as simple as "Many new players = no cohesion = poor performance" Many of Liverpool's failings can be placed at the feet of their managers and underperforming players.

The owner says we must do better, so manager sacked, and the wheel goes full circle and the next manager does the same.

It doesn’t take a genius to work out you can’t carry on working like that forever if you want things to improve.

It’s this situation, I feel the club doesn’t want to get itself into, I mean, I read that at Liverpool, Voridin ? a slacky striker, was paid £60k a week, yet only played a few times, Downing the same and Henderson is on even more.

Again, while some of their new players have been stinkers others have been brilliant; Torres, Suarez, Henderson is coming good, Coutinho and Sturridge look inspired buys. I'm the least Pro-Liverpool man on here, but I cannot with any good conscience say their faltering league form was down to too many new player at once.

So in a way the club has to think about the bigger picture, it has to come up with a business plan and stick to it.

Problem is that this ‘plan’ will never be shown to the outside world – so the supporters feel as though they are being let down.

Thoughts ?

A better example will be sunderland. Di Canio saw a struggling side and made wholesale changes to it. The existing team, while poor, could have been tweaked with one or two new signings and finish 14th instead of 16th, then a few more improvements and so on and so forth. What they've done is throw the baby out with the bathwater.

the mackems will be in trouble, mark my words

What we needed was Mbiwa, Sissoko, Debuchy, Gouffran and A.N.Other last Summer, Maybe Anita and Remy at Xmas. I'd have moved heaven and earth to sign Aubemeyang before major clubs became serious with their interest. Picked up Douglas too. This summer get Gomis, a right back and fluff out the squad elsewhere.

This season we could have had the following squad

Krul

Elliot

Alnwick

Debuchy

Colo

Mbiwa

Douglas

Taylor

Williamson

Haidara

Santon

Ben Arfa

Remy

Sissoko

Cabaye

Tiote

Anita

Jonas

Marveaux

Gouffran

Aubemeyang

Cisse

Gomis

Shola

That's a European adventure

Fish has got it right. If you have a good squad you always need to add a player or two just for new impetus if nothing else. Real know this, Barca know it, Bayern know it, Manure know it. Everyone knows it. If you look back at the summer when we only brought in Bowyer on a free you can see how it fucked us up then when we didn't do enough to drive on. We were all a bit down then despite being in the champions league qualifiers so it's very understandable that everyone is kicking off when we finished last season where we did and got twatted first game of this season.

When your squad only just survived a relegation battle it's obvious that some of your players aren't good enough (well if you have any ambition to do anything more than just scrape by) and as such they need replacing. This is where we are at. You can believe that the likes of Debuchy, Mbiwa, Sissoko, Goufrran and Haidara will make a bigger impact for us this year now that they have had a chance to settle in (something which I do personally believe) but we are still woefully short up front (an injury to Cisse or Remy has us back to relying on Shola which really isn't acceptable) and the wings.

Ultimately though, all you're doing is trying to justify what Ashley has done and quite frankly there isn't any justification in sporting terms. He is trying to avoid spending any of the clubs money so that he can take it out to pay of the loans he gave us. At which point he will have a club with no debt that he can sell for an amount that will at least break him even.

Edited by David Kelly

A better example will be sunderland. Di Canio saw a struggling side and made wholesale changes to it. The existing team, while poor, could have been tweaked with one or two new signings and finish 14th instead of 16th, then a few more improvements and so on and so forth. What they've done is throw the baby out with the bathwater.

the mackems will be in trouble, mark my words

What we needed was Mbiwa, Sissoko, Debuchy, Gouffran and A.N.Other last Summer, Maybe Anita and Remy at Xmas. I'd have moved heaven and earth to sign Aubemeyang before major clubs became serious with their interest. Picked up Douglas too. This summer get Gomis, a right back and fluff out the squad elsewhere.

This season we could have had the following squad

Krul

Elliot

Alnwick

Debuchy

Colo

Mbiwa

Douglas

Taylor

Williamson

Haidara

Santon

Ben Arfa

Remy

Sissoko

Cabaye

Tiote

Anita

Jonas

Marveaux

Gouffran

Aubemeyang

Cisse

Gomis

Shola

That's a European adventure

As always ( not in jest ), a genius reply. top marks.