Aston Villa vs Newcastle United

Aeris

Disagree with anyone saying we played ok. But I guess some silver lining should be that on our worst day we can still almost beat a decent side in Newcastle?

Errr did st james' park shrink and move south and the ticket allocations were a bit off

"in" = "in the form of"

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 points away from home is always a well-earned result, regardless of opposition imo.

Ben Arfa and Remy playing down the left and right looks like a very dangerous attack. Look forward to seeing Remy settle in as he looks like some player. Let's hope Pards sticks with an offensive formation as we have the first team that can play some decent football.

Still in desperate need of some further investment in the squad. So frustrating when we're a few signings away from being a comfortable top half finish.

Disagree with anyone saying we played ok. But I guess some silver lining should be that on our worst day we can still almost beat a decent side in Newcastle?

Errr did st james' park shrink and move south and the ticket allocations were a bit off

I thought we were magnificent and a draw would've been a travesty. nufc.com got it right imo........."what can truly be called out most cohesive and convincing performance since beating Chelsea 3-2 at Gallowgate in February"

Thought it was a massive performance.

Remy gliding in from the left and Hatem causing havoc from the right had them all over the place fire fighting and allsorts...Really think Anita is coming into his own and Yanga looks better than Taylor already...

But what was really significant was the way we held it together and kept pushing at 1-1 with Gouffran replacing Remy and looking more confident than before...Took his goal well (easy to sky those when they come back at you quickly)..

Stay with the 433.

Pardew 3 (Return of the blagger). :)

Edited by Park Life

Gouffran replacing Remy and looking more confident than before...Took his goal well (easy to sky those when they come back at you quickly)

This must have ran through so many minds as the ball came back to him, but he stayed calm and kept his composure.

I reckon / hope a Gouffran with confidence can start challanging for a regular start ahead of the likes of Marv and Shola (that he should have to compete with Shola in the first place for a spot in the 11 is a joke)

Never saw anything more than the goals, but from what I've read it sounds like Remy has been a confidence boost as well as an actual attacking threat. The fact he and Ben Arfa were causing trouble on opposite sides is great and apparently gives us a cutting edge we lacked...but the winner was scored after Remy had gone off and we had exactly the same personnel as were available last season and in August.

The fact we kept pushing following the departure of Remy is pleasing. Also goes to show the difference signings make to the mentality of a club, something Ashley needs to learn about the summer.

Also goes to show the difference signings make to the mentality of a club, something Ashley needs to learn about the summer.

Not getting ahead of ourselves as we're only 4 games in and still looked dodgy a few times when we were attacked with pace down our wings, but the fear now being that he thinks he can get away with a single signing to make all the difference.

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/statszone/8-2013/matches/694931/team-stats/4/OVERALL_01#tabs-wrapper-anchor

We're playing 424, not 433 :D

Nowt better than a couple of like for like substitutions either. Too often we have changed our whole shape to accommodate the changes we make with the limited options we've had available, either during a game or before it.

Hope we can put a good run together based on this set-up allowing players to learn not only their position/role, but also those of the players alongside them.

Newcastle played 35 long balls on Saturday.

Puts our average at 48 for the season.

The least long balls we played in a game all last season was 46 (Swansea).

We never hit less than 50 in any other game in 12/13.

Other Averages for the season so far..

Man City - 57

Chelsea - 56

Arsenal - 50

I dont think I've ever said "Pardew OUT!" but I'd also say one swallow doesnt make a summer.

Having said that even in the first half v man city there was at times evidence of a coherent passing game from last season's "hoofball" merchants. Its all quite encouraging :)

I dont think I've ever said "Pardew OUT!" but I'd also say one swallow doesnt make a summer.

Having said that even in the first half v man city there was at times evidence of a coherent passing game from last season's "hoofball" merchants. Its all quite encouraging :)

Fortunately, it's not one swallow, it's a trend that I noted at the end of last season which had been in evidence since the closing of the January window.

Adding the 4 games we've played so far only offers further evidence of Pardew's aim in terms of style...

zwagwk.jpg

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/statszone/8-2013/matches/694931/team-stats/4/OVERALL_01#tabs-wrapper-anchor

We're playing 424, not 433 :D

Nowt better than a couple of like for like substitutions either. Too often we have changed our whole shape to accommodate the changes we make with the limited options we've had available, either during a game or before it.

Hope we can put a good run together based on this set-up allowing players to learn not only their position/role, but also those of the players alongside them.

It's interesting, going off that, that Gouffran was on for 30 minutes (which is long enough to be notable), but spent most of his time playing through the centre, not out wide as Remy did.

That graph with our long ball usage is the most encouraging thing I've seen about the club for some time; I really do end up torn on Pardew, I supported him for longer than most but did begin to think he was out of his depth. Then we get games like this and you start to think maybe he does know what he's doing. Actually looking forward to our next game for the first time in ages.

Fortunately, it's not one swallow, it's a trend that I noted at the end of last season which had been in evidence since the closing of the January window.

Adding the 4 games we've played so far only offers further evidence of Pardew's aim in terms of style...

zwagwk.jpg

Presumably if you had no possession you'd also have zero long balls? Also, what's the definition of a long ball? Not sure this tells us much tbh.