young players who you were sure were gonna make it.......but didnt.

diogenes

Hallo again,

just from reading through the board, I notice a certain fascination/possible homo erotic obsession with Shane Ferguson, and it got me thinking about our youth prospects through the years.

who were you certain was going to make it, and for whatever reason, didn't?

I'm thinking Ian bogie from way back, and Paul Grayson from more recently.maybe Paul Huntingdon too?had a decent game against spurs but got roasted in Europe, then disappeared.

I was going to say Paul Robinson (despite Gullit using him as a pawn) but apparently we had him from the ages of 19 to 21, which isn't exactly "youngster" territory. James Coppinger maybe?

Huntington was quite hot in a scally kind of way. Still not entirely sure why we turfed him while holding on to Ramage.

Going back a few years, I remember Paul Stevenson got his debut on the same day as Gazza. At the time I thought he was a better player, as opposed to the ball greedy sod that Gazza seemed to be. The wise old bloke next to me said about Gazza "one day he'll pull that off and it'll make him."

Basically everyone that CT has thrown his (not inconsiderable) weight behind has faltered, so if he started rating Bigi as highly as he did Kazenga Lua-Lua (who now is isn't even starting in the Championship) I'd lose faith in that young man too.

Currently I've high hopes for;

Adam Campbell

Gael Bigirimana

Massaido Haidara

but previously I rated Abeid & Vuckic, but their progress seems to have stalled. Of the two Abeid seems to be salvageable, but I think injury is going to limit Vuckic.