Gout

Anth

Been hit with this for the first time and it feels like my big toe has been smacked with a Hammer then set on fire. Anyone know any natural remedies? With the amount of food threads of here there has too be a few people with it ;)

Aye I know, I will go to the Docs when I get a chance!

Go to the doctors so it can be properly diagnosed and treated! Elevation and ice packs might help to reduce the inflammation, as can Ibuprofen (unless you've got a stomach ulcer) but a doc can prescribe something like Naproxen which will help. One of the lads at work gets attacks of gout and it cripples him.

Go to the doctors so it can be properly diagnosed and treated! Elevation and ice packs might help to reduce the inflammation, as can Ibuprofen (unless you've got a stomach ulcer) but a doc can prescribe something like Naproxen which will help. One of the lads at work gets attacks of gout and it cripples him.

Cheers, I'll try the walk in centre after work. Think its the worst pain I've ever experienced. I'll have to lay off the port and Venison for a while!

Cheers, I'll try the walk in centre after work. Think its the worst pain I've ever experienced. I'll have to lay off the port and Venison for a while!

Loads of information on the internet. You'll need to get your urate levels checked over a couple of months. If diagnosed then it's lifestyle changes (prob should do this anyway), Nsaids during attacks, and allopurinol for prevention if it's really bad. This will be for life but hopefully won't come to that.

I thought I might have it last year but turns out probably don't. I do have a periodic, crippling arthropathy which remains undiagnosed and is absolute agony during an attack, but I'm fine in between. Really need to get it sorted.

Thanks for the advice, had a heavy weekend in Edinburgh just gone and felt a twitch on Monday. Last night I had to crawl from the bedroom to the bog. It went from being my big toe and it seems like its traveled just below that now.

I'd like to think I'm a fairly healthy person, exercise regularly and eat fish and salad etc most days, though I've read stuff like sardines and tuna etc can bring it on. I don't drink on a weekday but love Friday / Saturday heavy session. Maybe time to calm it a bit.

Bit hasty, some people only have one attack.

I had my first attack in 89 but took doc's advice to go on allopurinol. No more attacks. When I moved the new gp insisted on blood test which was clear so I dropped it for about 12 years with no attacks until I had a mild one. I toyed with the idea of restarting but in the end didnt bother.

Then I had the mother of all attavks last summer so now I've decided to not take any chances and take it for life.

I work with two lads who have it. One has taken allopurinol sonce his first attack ten years ago with no repeat and one who manages attacks with nsaids -seeing how the latter suffers convinces me its not worth it.

My family has a history of it and took all the advice I could get from them.

1 x Allopurinol a day has keep it at bay with no attacks in over 2 years - always keep a supply of colchicine, which is extremely effective at clearing it up in 1 - 2 days, just in case it ever flaired up again

• 2 years later...

So it turns out I've got this. Excellent. :lol: Then again, after recent issues I was worried it'd be something more serious and I'd be advised off exercising ever again or who knows what else, so at least some (further) lifestyle changes - apparently replacing alcohol with caffeine/sugar hasn't been an entirely smart move :scratchchin: - and a daily allopurinol dose ought to start keeping things in check.

I have been told red wine has an affect with it, asparagus too. Whether that's true or not I don't know. All I know is I had it once, ever since I have eaten lot's of greens and drank plenty of water. Never had it since.

I find it really difficult to drink a decent amount of water alone. A splash of cordial is the difference between drinking 2litres of water (juice) a day and getting halfway through a cup and hating every minute of it.