Gout

Anth

2 hours ago, adios said:

I used to get (much milder) gout about ten years ago, and I haven't had it in years.  My uric acid was well out of line and isn't anymore.  I switched completely to whiskey and red wine but also got well medicated as a mental around the same time.  The French doctor at the time also got me drinking Vichy water, but he was probably just being paid off by Big Sodium.

Yours sounds awful. Hope you get it sorted, mate.

I'm not sure switching to whiskey and red wine will really help me :lol:

but yes, I'll be happy it it goes away eventually.

vichy eh?

Aye, I think it's just full of minerals/is alkaline to balance the uric acid? 

I found beer to be the worst offender, but yeah you're not going to get many doctors advising you to drink whiskey. :lol:   

I'm not a medical man as you may have already guessed.

High-Purine Foods Include:

Alcoholic beverages (all types)

Some fish, seafood and shellfish, including anchovies, sardines, herring, mussels, codfish, scallops, trout and haddock

Some meats, such as bacon, turkey, veal, venison and organ meats like liver

Moderate Purine Foods Include:

Meats, such as beef, chicken, duck, pork and ham

Shellfish, such as crab, lobster, oysters and shrimp

But see also:

Because dietary management of gout is so restrictive and of limited benefit, medication is the best way to treat gout. In addition to medications that treat the inflammation and other symptoms that occur during a gout attack, medications exist that can treat the underlying metabolic condition of hyperuricemia – too much uric acid in the blood. Hyperuricemia can occur either when the body produces too much uric acid or when the body does not excrete enough uric acid. Drugs exist to treat both causes.

So basically you need drugs, man. 

Ah, delicious drugs :lol:

Im on two allopurinol a day but they want to increase it to something else. Fair play it it sorts it. The Dr pretty much discredited the dietary theory - both as a cause and a solution - pretty much straight away.

If I was going to get ill off drinking or eating  by my early 30s I'd at least liked to have had some fun with it.

I don't drink during the week or eat badly at all. Plus I drink less than pretty much all of my mates and they're all fine.

Pure Shan man.

Seems strange they have you on allopurinol mid attacks - I was told it could exacerbate the attack and you had to wait until you were pain free before starting it. 

That's why my last one lasting six weeks was such a fuck on as nowt stopped the pain (apart from when I took a course of steroids for asthma but you can't take that shit for long). 

Ah when they put me on allopurinol they told me it might cause an attack and put me on colchichine at the same time.

When they put me on the bigger dose they didnt carry on the cochichine and then I got an attack. Yay! :lol: 

Just now, Tom said:

Ah when they put me on allopurinol they told me it might cause an attack and put me on colchichine at the same time.

That's exactly what they did with me too, fwiw.

Just now, Tom said:

When they put me on the bigger dose they didnt carry on the cochichine and then I got an attack. Yay! :lol: 

That's exactly what they shouldn't have done with you, fwiw.

I mean, the bigger dose part seems right, obviously. :D Just weird that they didn't repeat a run of colchicine when upping the dose of allopurinol, since you'd think... oh well.

They said they'd look at weaning me onto a lower dose of allopurinol eventually, but I still get the first hints of an attack brewing if I've had a week where I've eaten badly, had too much sugar, not had enough water or whatever, it just never goes beyond that thankfully, so I guess it's just another pill for life to add to the pile of pills for life. :D Hope they can get to the bottom of what's causing yours and at least find you a bit of relief, even if it's something you're stuck with going forward.

9 hours ago, Meenzer said:

I mean, the bigger dose part seems right, obviously. :D Just weird that they didn't repeat a run of colchicine when upping the dose of allopurinol, since you'd think... oh well.

They said they'd look at weaning me onto a lower dose of allopurinol eventually, but I still get the first hints of an attack brewing if I've had a week where I've eaten badly, had too much sugar, not had enough water or whatever, it just never goes beyond that thankfully, so I guess it's just another pill for life to add to the pile of pills for life. :D Hope they can get to the bottom of what's causing yours and at least find you a bit of relief, even if it's something you're stuck with going forward.

You ever had any bother coming off the tablets?

I started the week on allopurinol, a high dose of colchichine & painkillers (tramadol).

the lack of mobility is still there but I couldn't take anymore colchicine & it hurts but probably not enough for tramadol.

I feel as bad off colchichine as I did on it, absolutely wiped out and it plays war with ye olde guts. :sick: 

5 minutes ago, Tom said:

You ever had any bother coming off the tablets?

No, coming off the colchichine I was given to go along with the first wave of the allopurinol was fine. But then things were nowhere near as rough as they sound like they've been for you (sorry like but it's true!) so I'm not sure it's a useful comparison really...

2 minutes ago, Renton said:

Colchichine is probably one of the most toxic drugs that can be prescribed in primary care. Horrible stuff. 

Oh. I did four a day for three days which I can do every two weeks. 

Last time I did it I was bedbound & it was both knees/feet so I was constantly on tramadol or sleeping. Oh and i was a short crawl from a toilet.

I haven't had any since Wednesday and I feel utterly disgusting. Ugh. 

Just now, Meenzer said:

No, coming off the colchichine I was given to go along with the first wave of the allopurinol was fine. But then things were nowhere near as rough as they sound like they've been for you (sorry like but it's true!) so I'm not sure it's a useful comparison really...

That's ok! It's not a gout competition.