Gout

Anth

• 1 month later...

Think I may have had my first bout of gout. Woke up 4am Sunday with my foot throbbing. Pain was in my instep around to the outer edge of the foot and I think a bit on both sides of the ankle although I couldn't tell because of the pain. 

I couldn't walk, and couldn't get any relief  whichever way I positioned my foot laying down or standing up. Resorted to hopping around the house which was painful but the less painful of of all options.

Being  Sunday and with my gf away and the doctor closed I had no ability to do anything. Called my dad who has suffered gout as a last resort  and he gave me his Indomethacin to take even though he initially refused. Took two doses in the day and by night I was good. 

Edited by Ken

Instep and spread around doesn't sound like gout like - it's usually more obvious joints and very local.

Indomethacin is just an NAID so would relieve any kind of pain.

1 minute ago, NJS said:

Instep and spread around doesn't sound like gout like - it's usually more obvious joints and very local.

Indomethacin is just an NAID so would relieve any kind of pain.

I was wondering that. Most get it in their toes, and it involves redness and swelling. I didn't get that. I knew that Indomethacin was merely an anti-inflammatory so very little side effects but me dad took convincing to give it to me. Another problem it appears...

Feet can be a bit strange - the last gout attack I had in 2012 lasted six or seven weeks and affected my left big toe. After it finally abated I had a problem with the sole of my right foot akin to flat feet which my doctor thought might have been caused by damage by walking wrongly to compensate for the gout pain. That lasted on and off for about six months. 

I think small strains and sprains in the feet can build up and cause quite bad pain. 

My gout was so severe & 'rare' I doubt I can give any practical advice.

They've put me on allipurinol now & after a month my legs feel great but the rest of me feels like shit. I can't win :lol:

Also they're looking at my kidneys, which I can't imagine will great. That's going off the medication they've had me on alone.

Sounds like you need a proper doctor anyway Ken.

2 hours ago, NJS said:

Feet can be a bit strange - the last gout attack I had in 2012 lasted six or seven weeks and affected my left big toe. After it finally abated I had a problem with the sole of my right foot akin to flat feet which my doctor thought might have been caused by damage by walking wrongly to compensate for the gout pain. That lasted on and off for about six months. 

I think small strains and sprains in the feet can build up and cause quite bad pain. 

I'd go along with that. I've had plantar fasciitis which is nasty, possible Gout (although maybe not as it didn't affect my first metatarsal pharyngeal joint [big toe] which is practically pathognomic), and now all my joints are periodically swelling due to an as yet undisguised autoimmune disease. 

I'm rattling with NSAIDs and paracetamol. Sick of getting old. <_<

1 hour ago, Renton said:

I'd go along with that. I've had plantar fasciitis which is nasty, possible Gout (although maybe not as it didn't affect my first metatarsal pharyngeal joint [big toe] which is practically pathognomic), and now all my joints are periodically swelling due to an as yet undisguised autoimmune disease. 

I'm rattling with NSAIDs and paracetamol. Sick of getting old. <_<

They any closer to making a actual diagnosis other than "auto-immune" disease?

Edited by sammynb

Pathognomic! Really?

It never went near my toes. It was the soles of my feet/mad as owt swelling and my knees and mad as owt swelling.

The consultant aspirated my knee and that's how she diagnosed it as gout.

2 hours ago, sammynb said:

They any closer to making a actual diagnosis other than "auto-immune" disease?

This is the NHS CT style nowadays. Struggling  to get an appointment  with my GP let alone a referral to an immunologist. Honestly,  it's become a shambles in the last few years.

Tom, you do sound like an unusual case. Classically gout usually gets the big toe first before affecting other joints. Urate crystals in your knee? Ouch. 

14 hours ago, NJS said:

Well I hope that was all it was. I've never felt that much pain before, even after a first session of kickboxing after a long layoff have I ever experienced that kind of pain. It was just random, out of nowhere while I was sleeping.

13 hours ago, Tom said:

My gout was so severe & 'rare' I doubt I can give any practical advice.

They've put me on allipurinol now & after a month my legs feel great but the rest of me feels like shit. I can't win :lol:

Also they're looking at my kidneys, which I can't imagine will great. That's going off the medication they've had me on alone.

Sounds like you need a proper doctor anyway Ken.

Sorry to hear about your plight.

i probably should see a doctor shouldn't I? :lol:

Last time I had a blood test which was 4 years ago it came up with high uric acid levels. So I know it isn't a question of if but when I will get it considering my father and my grandfather suffers periodically, and had suffered from gout. Don't really want to have a blood test at the moment because I know it won't read well given what I put my liver through over the festive season if you know what I mean. I ate shitloads of seafood and pate, things that spark an onset too. I'm doing a dry January and treating my body with respect now so I might wait a bit until I go for a proper checkup.

2 hours ago, Ken said:

Last time I had a blood test which was 4 years ago it came up with high uric acid levels.

Bit surprised you weren't diagnosed there and then tbh. But yeah, get it checked again asap. Let's be honest, what's the point in putting off a - worst case - non-threatening, easily treated diagnosis out of sheer vanity? :dunno:

6 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

Bit surprised you weren't diagnosed there and then tbh. But yeah, get it checked again asap. Let's be honest, what's the point in putting off a - worst case - non-threatening, easily treated diagnosis out of sheer vanity? :dunno:

Doesn't Australia have an insurance based health service? Raised LFTs could be an issue in that context.

Not sure raised uric acid levels are 100% diagnostic of gout either. 

8 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

Well, he told me I had a high level of uric acid amongst other things, I guess it wasn't the priority at the time. :lol: He also told me I had high blood pressure, a cholesterol problem and that I was in the mid to high category group of a chance of having a heart attack. So he gave me medication for the cholesterol, I went vegan for nearly a year and I started kickboxing. I am not overweight, I never have been but it goes to show what inactivity and bad diet can do. Yeah, I will go to my GP shortly for a full checkup again.

7 minutes ago, Renton said:

Doesn't Australia have an insurance based health service? Raised LFTs could be an issue in that context.

Not sure raised uric acid levels are 100% diagnostic of gout either. 

I have private health insurance but we also have something similar to the NHS that being Medicare.

19 hours ago, Renton said:

This is the NHS CT style nowadays. Struggling  to get an appointment  with my GP let alone a referral to an immunologist. Honestly,  it's become a shambles in the last few years.

Tom, you do sound like an unusual case. Classically gout usually gets the big toe first before affecting other joints. Urate crystals in your knee? Ouch. 

Aye, I've been called an unusual case before :rimshot: 

I think everyone agrees the pain is off the scale wherever it is tbh, the knees were particularly debilitating however.

Isn’t gout something old men are supposed to get? Condolences lads, sounds grim. Can I recommend a vegetarian diet and plenty of fresh veggies? Only downside is the rancid farts 

They haven't attributed mine to anything or  said I need to make any adjustments to anything. They've just said it's a whole bundle of rare & could only be considered dietary if I was a 20-30yr older.

I wish it was as simple as "don't eat crisps" or whatever but mine was random as fuck.

Ok so as part of this they tested my kidneys and all the results came back saying they were healthy and good, till the ultrasound.

"Your left kidney is in great health & appears to be normal...however you don't have a right kidney" 

da fuq :lol: