Gout

Anth

A quick google:

Are dietary changes needed?

In general, special diets are not needed by individuals who have one healthy kidney. You should have a healthy well-balanced diet, reduce your salt intake and aim to drink six to eight glasses of water a day, or a minimum of two liters. Speak to your doctor or a registered dietician if you have questions about the basic ingredients of a healthy diet. Also see healthy eating for kidney patients and food labelling written by Marianne Vennegor, Renal Dietician. 

Nothing about alcohol. If you do need to give up, or drastically cut down, it makes me hold living donors in even higher esteem.... 

I think they are saying that my one kidney is the absolute boyo but I'm not sure. I think it's still in the open. He said my kidney function and i quote is "spot on".

I suppose I've managed my entire life with one kidney and had no idea thus far :lol: 

Although if there are changes needed I suppose I'll be told.

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Ok so as part of this they tested my kidneys and all the results came back saying they were healthy and good, till the ultrasound.

"Your left kidney is in great health & appears to be normal...however you don't have a right kidney" 

da fuq :lol: 

I had a lot of indigestion problems at the start of last year and my gp sent me for an ultrasound and the nurse said she had difficulty finding my left kidney. 

My GP followed it up and it turns out when I had an ultrasound in Shields in 93 and also in 2014 when I had an mri that they'd established I had what's known as a horseshoe kidney - ie just one but on neither occasion had they bothered to tell me and hadn't added it to main NHS file. 

My GP reckons they have a policy of not telling you anything they regard as "trivial" 

Anyway its a 1 in 500 person thing and the one works fine bit if it fails I'm fucked (or need a new one quickly). 

Yeh that's the worry like. Shame they can't jam another one in there if there's room.

When I had my ultrasound the guy was clearly shocked by something. He just didnt say what :lol:

1 hour ago, Renton said:

A quick google:

Nothing about alcohol. If you do need to give up, or drastically cut down, it makes me hold living donors in even higher esteem.... 

A mate gave his up for his dad. He's got all sorts of restrictions, can't drink, is restricted to what painkillers he can take, etc. 

I've got three kidneys. It's pretty rare and I had no idea till I had a check up for an unrelated condition. There are tell tale signs apparently if you have a third kidney but obviously it isn't something you look for, these signs include an ability to consume more liquid without rushing for a piss, a good skin complexion and an enhanced sized John Thomas. I should've guessed years ago. 

Had another bout of this, just in my left knee. They've attributed it to side effects of the mediciation.

So since Saturday I've been on the couch writhing in pain, even when doped up.

Tried to go back to graft this morning, I can tolerate limping about, whatever. Went to put my shoe on and just got this pang of sheer death from the knee. Not today lad. 

Does this ever get back to normal? Feel like my life has become an endless loop of hospital appointments, Drs appointments, blood tests and other worldly pain.

4 hours ago, Tom said:

Had another bout of this, just in my left knee. They've attributed it to side effects of the mediciation.

Tried to go back to graft this morning, I can tolerate limping about, whatever. Went to put my shoe on and just got this pang of sheer death from the knee. Not today lad. 

Does this ever get back to normal? Feel like my life has become an endless loop of hospital appointments, Drs appointments, blood tests and other worldly pain.

Sounds like hell mate. Do you need to travel to get to work? This would be eating into your holiday pay I would imagine leaving aside all the other major inconveniences obviously. 

I need to drive ideally, couldn't get my knee to move to any angle this morning and that's before even looking at the car.

In England it doesn't effect my pay but I hate missing work and prior to this I haven't really missed any at all in my entire working career. (Apart from a couple of days here and there, nowt special)

22 minutes ago, Tom said:

Do the tests/constant appointments stop?

It'll depend. If you get it under control with allpurinol, you'll probably be referred back to the GP. Possibly annual reviews.

But tbh, it sounds like you are a very severe case. I'd want to be under consultant care for as long as needed. 

55 minutes ago, Renton said:

It'll depend. If you get it under control with allpurinol, you'll probably be referred back to the GP. Possibly annual reviews.

But tbh, it sounds like you are a very severe case. I'd want to be under consultant care for as long as needed. 

Ah right. I still don't know much about it, It's just getting depressing. Feels like it's taken over my life.

Went on a date with a lass on Friday, this just started on the Thursday and wasn't so bad. Told her I tripped on a cobblestone so she just thought I was a fucking idiot instead,

30 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Good luck Tom. Hope you don't get it in your strumming hand. 

Could it not be fixed by going on some wild fruit and veg diet? Is it even diet related? (I know fuck all) 

Their original line was that it had nothing to do with it they've stuck with that thus far. Although everyone at graft you speak to are total medical experts and put it down to liking a drink at a weekend.

The latest conclusion from the Drs is that I have one v.small kidney and one v.large one and that that's been the case for a while so it's possibly a birth defect.

After that my heads spinning with the entire thing 

3 minutes ago, Tom said:

Ah right. I still don't know much about it, It's just getting depressing. Feels like it's taken over my life.

Went on a date with a lass on Friday, this just started on the Thursday and wasn't so bad. Told her I tripped on a cobblestone so she just thought I was a fucking idiot instead,

You will get over this eventually by way of proper management. Tell her mate, that has its benefits. ;)

8 hours ago, Tom said:

I used to get (much milder) gout about ten years ago, and I haven't had it in years.  My uric acid was well out of line and isn't anymore.  I switched completely to whiskey and red wine but also got well medicated as a mental around the same time.  The French doctor at the time also got me drinking Vichy water, but he was probably just being paid off by Big Sodium.

Yours sounds awful. Hope you get it sorted, mate.