BallstheCat

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No harm to the lad, but I read that piece not as 'Paolo Di Canio/interesting manager/fascist-or-not' but rather as 'hey-look-at-how-intellectual-I-am'.

Sorry if that sounds a bit harsh, am being honest with you. If you feel like writing and you've a talent for it then you could do better.

No, it's not harsh, I can see how it comes across that way but it wasn't intentional. I really don't have any pretensions or ambitions in writing other than posting occasional personal pap on my blog. I do get sick of reading the same old tired bollocks about about my club though. And make no mistake I love Newcastle Utd. This one got out of hand because it was really meant for a Mackem mate of mine with whom I've had several ding-dongs about Di Canio since his appointment. He asked me what I would have done if we'd got him. I said I would have asked for a refund on my season tickets. I lied.

I thought it was a fair enough piece (in reference to the points about how we would have taken to him, despite his fascist leanings). I rather fancy that the Newcastle support would have been split between despair and denial if we'd hired Di Canio; probably depends on how desperate the football club is. Sunderland were pretty desperate.

Edited by Rayvin

I thought it read like a mix between a bad A Level paper and a very badly written humourous Daily Mail Saturday Essay.

Fair enough. The Daily Mail jibe is the first time I've felt insulted. Coincidently, the bloke whose hands you're on was in the year below me at Ashington Grammar school in the mid 1970's. I also played on the same Primary School team as Douglas 'Dougal' Hall and John 'Tucka' Trewick at the end of the 1960s. Still trying to live it down I suppose.

I thought it was a fair enough piece (in reference to the points about how we would have taken to him, despite his fascist leanings). I rather fancy that the Newcastle support would have been split between despair and denial if we'd hired Di Canio; probably depends on how desperate the football club is. Sunderland were pretty desperate.

Exactly

No harm to the lad, but I read that piece not as 'Paolo Di Canio/interesting manager/fascist-or-not' but rather as 'hey-look-at-how-intellectual-I-am'.

Sorry if that sounds a bit harsh, am being honest with you. If you feel like writing and you've a talent for it then you could do better.

Isnt that what writing is really all about? Why should i read your words over someone elses? If the writer never attempts to elevate his voice above that of the common drone, there is no real reason to listen. Alright, that might be a bit contrived but the point is you've got to try and add something to the mix other than 'well we seemed to pass it about quite well but if our best players get injured i cant see us doing as well'.

Anyway, post #27 made the thread worth it.

Isnt that what writing is really all about? Why should i read your words over someone elses? If the writer never attempts to elevate his voice above that of the common drone, there is no real reason to listen. Alright, that might be a bit contrived but the point is you've got to try and add something to the mix other than 'well we seemed to pass it about quite well but if our best players get injured i cant see us doing as well'.

Yup, made me laff. And thanks for that. I wrote a load of meaningless nonsense, last month, in as many football clichés as I could think of. Got it all out my system. Probably should have stopped there. Leave it to Caulkin, Ryder and the fanzines. They know their shit. *sideways glance to camera*

Ok I'll put it another way, despite having a natural interest in our nearest and dearest neighbours, despite an interest in hearing about the politics of foreign clubs and an interest in the World around the time of Il Duce I didn't find that piece interesting at all. It seemed a bit forced and almost like an assigned essay. That's my tuppence and I'm sure he was wanting feedback and comment when posting it on here. Good luck to the lad, he can obviously write but may just alter his style a bit. Maybe he won't, he didn't seem to take any offence and for myself didn't want to give it.

@fish......neanderthals? Probably the most OTT comment in this thread.

Ok I'll put it another way, despite having a natural interest in our nearest and dearest neighbours, despite an interest in hearing about the politics of foreign clubs and an interest in the World around the time of Il Duce I didn't find that piece interesting at all. It seemed a bit forced and almost like an assigned essay. That's my tuppence and I'm sure he was wanting feedback and comment when posting it on here. Good luck to the lad, he can obviously write but may just alter his style a bit. Maybe he won't, he didn't seem to take any offence and for myself didn't want to give it.

@fish......neanderthals? Probably the most OTT comment in this thread.

Okay, To put it your way. Fuck you, 'lad' you patronising shitflume. I'll leave the useless sycophantic slags of this fucking useless waste of internet to faun over the same old sycophantic fucking bollocks that's always posted. Which is why you fucking bellends will get absolutely fucking nowhere ever, and never will. There. Altered my style style a bit. What do you reckon Ed? For what it's worth, I don't believe you. Keep up the good work.

Okay, To put it your way. Fuck you, 'lad' you patronising shitflume. I'll leave the useless sycophantic slags of this fucking useless waste of internet to faun over the same old sycophantic fucking bollocks that's always posted. Which is why you fucking bellends will get absolutely fucking nowhere ever, and never will. There. Altered my style style a bit. What do you reckon Ed? For what it's worth, I don't believe you. Keep up the good work.

:lol:

Here's me thinking you took it on the chin well.

:lol:

Here's me thinking you took it on the chin well.

I know. And it was going so well too. Fucking blew it. Just needed to get through the day, was all, but I fucking blew it. Good job I didn't post my August 'piece' of pretension entitled "When Dylan Met Catullus" all about stabilising my shaken faith, me dad, Bob's 'Tangled up in Blue', 'When Harry Met Sally' and a Roman fucking poet. It was a pre-season call to arms but hey fucking ho, you know?

:lol: :lol: Well handled.

I know. And it was going so well too. Fucking blew it. Just needed to get through the day, was all, but I fucking blew it. Good job I didn't post my August 'piece' of pretension entitled "When Dylan Met Catullus" all about stabilising my shaken faith, me dad, Bob's 'Tangled up in Blue', 'When Harry Met Sally' and a Roman fucking poet. It was a pre-season call to arms but hey fucking ho, you know?

Next time I think I'll pass on making a comment on someone's blog. 'If you can't say anything nice' etc. :D

To be fair I read it in bed just before I went to sleep after a particularly hard and tiring 12 hour night shift, so maybe wasn't concentrating too much as my eye lids kept shutting. Also, as a keen 'Commando' reader in my youth, I feel he should've titled his blog, not 'The last Samurai', rather 'BANZAI!!!!'

:good:

A very interesting take on a complex character. As a Sunderland fan I tweeted 'It's got to be Di Canio' within minutes of O'Neill's exit. He is a breath of fresh air and his first thought is always for the fans rather than the players or himself. The media is against him for whatever reason they can come up with but results (despite the referees) will make them look foolish. BTW good luck to the Magpies. We don't HAVE to hate each other.

A very interesting take on a complex character. As a Sunderland fan I tweeted 'It's got to be Di Canio' within minutes of O'Neill's exit. He is a breath of fresh air and his first thought is always for the fans rather than the players or himself. The media is against him for whatever reason they can come up with but results (despite the referees) will make them look foolish. BTW good luck to the Magpies. We don't HAVE to hate each other.

Maybe a few more thoughts about the players might lift you off the bottom of the table?