BallstheCat

A very interesting take on a complex character. As a Sunderland fan I tweeted 'It's got to be Di Canio' within minutes of O'Neill's exit. He is a breath of fresh air and his first thought is always for the fans rather than the players or himself. The media is against him for whatever reason they can come up with but results (despite the referees) will make them look foolish. BTW good luck to the Magpies. We don't HAVE to hate each other.

I think that's a little deluded.

- mackems last 8 Prem games under Di Canio: P8, W0, D3, L5.

- mackems under Di Canio: P11, W2, D3, L6

That's not just relegation form, that's embarrassment form and I for one am hoping you stick with him until after the January window closes just after the 7th new player is ushered through. :good:

He may be a "breath of fresh air" but that squall is pushing you into the Symplegades and I doubt your squad has the strength to pull through them.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good point,well made but the timing of my post is completely coincidental, I can assure you. I accept the criticism though, and perhaps I might have worded it better. It is certainly not my intention to reclaim the word, far from it. I remain a staunch lefty idealist, old enough, and with enough family suffering, historically, to know better. My first reaction to the appointment of Di Canio was to ridicule a Sunderland fan mate of mine and reference fascist oppression etc. Then I began to wonder what I would have done had Mike Ashley hired him. How would we justify it?

That's a shame. I was hoping you were going to be some unrepentant fascist who started quoting Evola.

It's well known that the root of the term Fascist lies within the Italian working class, and was a name given/adopted by certain organisational elements (the word roughly translates as a bundle of sticks.) The fact that the bourgeoisie of the time were able to use/control these elements for their own interests/defence is what, afaic, defines the political stage of the twentieth century, at least in Europe.

With regards to De Canio, he is obviously an egomaniac fantasist who once saw his father naked and could never come to terms with the fact his old man had a bigger penis.

That's a shame. I was hoping you were going to be some unrepentant fascist who started quoting Evola.

It's well known that the root of the term Fascist lies within the Italian working class, and was a name given/adopted by certain organisational elements (the word roughly translates as a bundle of sticks.) The fact that the bourgeoisie of the time were able to use/control these elements for their own interests/defence is what, afaic, defines the political stage of the twentieth century, at least in Europe.

With regards to De Canio, he is obviously an egomaniac fantasist who once saw his father naked and could never come to terms with the fact his old man had a bigger penis.

Very good. But no, I'm just an ordinary Geordie mucker. I do hear far too much right-wing fuckery at times, where I sit in St James' though.

I rate DiCanio very highly. He's just at the wrong club at the wrong time. Knows the game inside out but has fucked up a bit by being too over critical of the players in public. He will manage a big Italian club one day...

I rate DiCanio very highly. He's just at the wrong club at the wrong time. Knows the game inside out but has fucked up a bit by being too over critical of the players in public. He will manage a big Italian club one day...

Funny, I thought the same thing tbh. The mackem players are average at best and have the attitude that they are better than they are without being able to put in the graft they should. Di Canio's work ethic was never going to work with 'players' that aren't what I'd class as committed athletes but it might work alright on a continent with stricter ideals on what is expected of the squad. That said, banning the tommy sauce and the ice from the fizzy drinks was going a bit far, the cheesy chips and blue pop just wouldn't have been the same for them. :D

I couldn't disagree more like, I just don't think management (at least top level) is for him. As I said at the time he was appointed, his man management style probably does work really well at lower level where players are in awe of his past and therefore won't question him or answer back. However, in the top league you can't go about verbally and physically having a go at players, they just won't have it. Ferguson might have privately bollocked players if they stepped out of line but he never crossed the lines this nutter does. He might well be a nice guy away from football, but he's emotionally unstable which is why he'll never make a good manager.

Good managers are authentic.

Aye, unless you're a complete cunt like Di Canio. In which case you may want to temper it a bit by occasionally not being a cunt.

Edited by ewerk

Keegan was emotional.

You know, as I wrote it I did think that KK was indeed an emotional bloke as well. Different in the way Di Canio is, but you're right, and I think that's why he never quite made it to the top. His emotion was quite different though, in that he gave a shit about his players and fans and his tended to manifest itself in a resignation through principle where other managers might have stuck it out.

I'm not calling KK a quitter by the way! I LOVED the fact he was so emotional, but I think it was a flaw.