We need to get back to proper fullbacks..

Park Life

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest, Simpson isn't as bad as people made out. His first season he reminded me of a dog in the park. He was so excited to see the football he would run his hardest to get it. People forget that Simpson made a lot of goal line clearances that won us games. He did have the odd lapse but I would have signed the lad on a new contract.

I agree with Santon on the right but I would play Dummett on the left. That lad proved against Nevas he was no mug. He is quite quick as well.

A lot of those clearances had to be made because Simpson had either lost his man or missed a tackle.

Would Santon be a better defender at right back.Being played on his stronger right side would benefit the lad but if you cannot defend,you cannot defend,whether on the right or left.When we have our fulbacks bombing down the wings,why are no other players covering or organising the defence.We seem to get caught out time and time again through no one anticipating danger,only reacting when it's too late.

And left.Everyone can see we have fulbacks who cannot defend apart from Pardew.It's not as if we have a team who can usually score more than the opposition,as in the Keegan era. I expect this season's away record to be equally as bad as last season.I expect us to concede loads ,just like last season.If we don't sort out our defence,there is no way we will finish above half way.I've never considered replacing Pardew but come Xmas,if he still hasn't addressed our defensive problems,i want him out.He's been here long enough now to have bought two fullbacks who can defend.

:lol: He's fucking shit, 9 times out of 10 he would give the ball back to the centre back. Still only completed 70% of his passes.

His passing was actually 76% completion and I never expected that and I don't blame him for giving the ball back to the centre back when he Obertan as his option. He didn't exactly have Ben Arfa most of that time either due to his injury record. Danny Simpson also completed a lot more crosses in some seasons compared to others in the league.

A lot of those clearances had to be made because Simpson had either lost his man or missed a tackle.

Not always however he made clearances off the goal line which won us matches. He was also an excellent shot blocker as well.

I am not going to say he was the most amazing right back we ever had, that would be foolish however I would personally have Simpson ahead of Debuchy who looks like Simpson in his first season

Simpson was one of the worst rightbacks I can ever remember being here. Making goal line clearences doesn't make you a good defender, not letting your man rape you and get crosses in at will is far more important for a fullback as is being able to join in the attack which was another thing he failed at. Championship level at best.

Debuchy has been mixed at best since he arrived but you have to hope that a French international can come more to terms with the league and improve. Simpson certainly never will.

You must have a very short memory David considering we had the likes of Stephen Carr and Andy Griffin who were no better than Simpson. Especially Carr! I have never been so pleased to see a player leave the club.

I would have expected Debuchy to get the hint in the first 6 months however I do believe he will improve if he gets the right coaching about getting back.

If we really want to talk about poor full backs.... Celestine Babayaro

and Mourinho ;)

(and anyone who understands why a wing back might get caught short/It takes time to learn a league/players make mistakes etc)

I dont care if we are having this one again but Debuchy isnt playing as a wingback, not playing beside only two centrebacks. He has nominally 2 players in front of him to play in the right hand channel. Nowt wrong with getting forward in that system, an overlapping fullback is hardly a new thing but youve got to pick and choose better than Debuchy does as his teamates aren't covering him. In a back 4 the first priority of a fullback is to defend. Same goes for Santon who's had twice as long to "learn the league". I hope they both prove me wrong tbh, theyre both plainly good footballers but all at sea positionally in the system most want to see the team play in.

You must have a very short memory David considering we had the likes of Stephen Carr and Andy Griffin who were no better than Simpson. Especially Carr! I have never been so pleased to see a player leave the club.

I would have expected Debuchy to get the hint in the first 6 months however I do believe he will improve if he gets the right coaching about getting back.

If we really want to talk about poor full backs.... Celestine Babayaro

I said righbacks not fullbacks. If we're talking fullbacks I'll see your Babayro and raise you Kenny Sansom!

Carr was very poor here I'll give you that but I would take Griffin over Simpson any day and I don't rate Griffin particularly highly either. If I'm honest, I can't remember a great deal of really good rightbacks here. Vennison, Watson and John Anderson (limited footballer but someone who'd put it all in) are probably the best I can think of. Beye as well but he spoilled himself by jumping ship when we went down imo.

I dont care if we are having this one again but Debuchy isnt playing as a wingback, not playing beside only two centrebacks. He has nominally 2 players in front of him to play in the right hand channel. Nowt wrong with getting forward in that system, an overlapping fullback is hardly a new thing but youve got to pick and choose better than Debuchy does as his teamates aren't covering him. In a back 4 the first priority of a fullback is to defend. Same goes for Santon who's had twice as long to "learn the league". I hope they both prove me wrong tbh, theyre both plainly good footballers but all at sea positionally in the system most want to see the team play in.

He doesn't really have two players in front of him - not on the flanks anyway.

Santon is a good player as well and both had great games last week, I think in all honesty both are good players. Debuchy will come good & get some consistency - Santon will get better and better - again that'll come with consistency - which is the same for most defensive progress in football. He'll also get of Italy caps and end up playing his best football elsewhere.

He's fine as a left footed right back, plenty great players didn't have bother with it and neither does he - especially as a lot of the time he'll be coming across inverted wingers.

They'll be fine.

I said righbacks not fullbacks. If we're talking fullbacks I'll see your Babayro and raise you Kenny Sansom!Carr was very poor here I'll give you that but I would take Griffin over Simpson any day and I don't rate Griffin particularly highly either. If I'm honest, I can't remember a great deal of really good rightbacks here. Vennison, Watson and John Anderson (limited footballer but someone who'd put it all in) are probably the best I can think of. Beye as well but he spoilled himself by jumping ship when we went down imo.

You're getting before my time with Kenny Samson! :lol:

Watson was great, never understood why we sold him. I think Griffin was better when he left Newcastle and got more first team games. He put in a shift but he got caught out just like Simpson. I think Simpson kept on improving.

I do think that Debuchy has the potential to become one of our better right backs. In a 4-3-3 I think he has the potential to thrive especially when we attack but when he goes, you then need Anita, Sissoko to realise we are now exposed on the right in case they need to cover. We bought Debuchy for his running and his ability to deliver cross after cross however we need to cover for his weakness and he needs to develop his defence.

Conceded 1 goal in 4 games before Saturday.

Couple of individual errors and a world class finish from outside the box and we need a whole new system again? :D

Righty O.

Dear me

Choose the statistics that suit. :lol:

Let's not forget Villa missed several glorious chances as well.

It's not as though all has been swimmingly well and suddenly gone bad. It's been bad for a year and people feel that even despite Toms assurances, it's going to continue to be bad.

People have genuine concerns about the back four and will continue to do so until they look like a solid unit over a consistent period of time.

If we had a better manager I'd like to see us playing the Juventus style. I like how Juventus are being so flexible playing all different kinds of players in that 5 man midfield, sometimes wingbacks on the sides, sometimes wingers, sometimes wide playmakers with just pure power in the middle. Interesting style.

Krul

Taylor Colo Mbiwa

Debuchy Anita Sissoko Cabaye Santon

Remy Ben Arfa

I would have used the stat that said we had consistently been leaking goals in game after game... But there isn't one. :D

The harshest thing you can say is we've conceded 1.6 goals per game now. Which isn't good enough. But we conceded 1.8 goals a game last year so it's an improvement, however small.