Sky Package

Christmas Tree

If you've got a decent laptop or computer just use that and Sky Go.

I've got my PC permanently hooked up to a HD LCD TV so If I need to watch something upstairs I can. :up:

Saves a bit money if you already have the gear.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you've got a decent laptop or computer just use that and Sky Go.

I've got my PC permanently hooked up to a HD LCD TV so If I need to watch something upstairs I can. :up:

Saves a bit money if you already have the gear.

Aye, I could go down all those routes, but ownership of the settee and 42 inch is where it's at.

When you haven't had Sky for a while, the choice of what to actually watch is a real head fuck.

I quite like the idea of skygo extra and being able to download stuff to the phone to take to work with me.

Aye but you can hook your PC to a 42'' upstairs if needs be ;)

If you've got a 3D TV - which I think you might because it's the same as mine - get on the Attenborough stuff. It's fucking mint. :up:

Cancelled mine this morning, despite being offered 50% off for another year.

I asked about Sky Freesat so that we could keep using the box, but they wanted 10 quid a month just for the ability to record and another 10 quid for HD. So 20 quid a month for "free" sat.

I watch pretty much everything through XBMC now anyway and we have a Freesat plus box with HD and recording, so that's me finished with Sky (again!).

Aye but you can hook your PC to a 42'' upstairs if needs be ;)

If you've got a 3D TV - which I think you might because it's the same as mine - get on the Attenborough stuff. It's fucking mint. :up:

Na, haven't got 3d.

Saw a lush telly in Fenwicks yesterday, curved and £6,999 !

Still at the stage of trawling through the TV guide to watch something and ultimately watching nowt. :lol:

The thing is, you get loads of channels, but 90 per cent of them are unwatchable crap.

Even the documentary channels have all gone down the reality TV route - Storage Wars, American Chopper and all that rubbish.

If you don't watch the football and you don't rely on Atlantic for your HBO fix, then you can get rid and not miss it. I'm more bothered about losing the ease of use of the Sky box and control. That's one thing they've got completely sussed.

Actually my Sky's been shit for the last 24 hours. Keeps juddering and freezing. Mans coming back today.

I'm guessing my 10 year old dish must need replacing.

We had a dish replaced last year and it makes a big difference. Particularly to how bad your reception gets during poor weather.

Even the documentary channels have all gone down the reality TV route - Storage Wars, American Chopper and all that rubbish.

I fully get where you're coming from, but they haven't all gone down that route. There's a fair amount of it on Discovery for instance but that channel still has plenty of shows that actually educate. it's really only History that is dominated by it. Actual historical content on History is pretty much non-existent nowadays, you'll find it on H2, Yesterday and/or Discovery History instead.

Nat Geo is the king if you ask me. And the crime channels (Investigation Discovery and CI) are still superb which is good if you like crime stories, as I do.

Edited by Monroe Transfer

Na, haven't got 3d.

Saw a lush telly in Fenwicks yesterday, curved and £6,999 !

Still at the stage of trawling through the TV guide to watch something and ultimately watching nowt. :lol:

Curved? :lol:

Ah I thought you had the same TV as me. Very similar. I only got the 3D because it was £100 more and the model had a better frame rate.Anyway there's bound to be non 3D on there too.

I fully get where you're coming from, but they haven't all gone down that route. There's a fair amount of it on Discovery for instance but that channel still has plenty of shows that actually educate. it's really only History that is dominated by it. Actual historical content on History is pretty much non-existent nowadays, you'll find it on H2, Yesterday and/or Discovery History instead.

Nat Geo is the king if you ask me. And the crime channels (Investigation Discovery and CI) are still superb which is good if you like crime stories, as I do.

Aye I do like the good crime shows. Can you recommend any decent ones though? Even some of them have become chessefests with rubbish reconstructions.

I like a First 48 or Cold Case Files.

Aye I do like the good crime shows. Can you recommend any decent ones though? Even some of them have become chessefests with rubbish reconstructions.

I like a First 48 or Cold Case Files.

They've almost all got reconstructions in them of some nature don't they? I know what you mean though - stuff like 1000 Ways to Die and Curious and Unusual Deaths. The former more than fits your description, it makes light and comedy out of how people have died.

In terms of current/repeating series I like stuff like The Devil You Know (relatives of a criminal recount their experiences with them), Couples Who Kill, When Life Means Life, Mobsters, Dr G etc.

The good thing about CI is that it's an English channel so there's a lot of British content on there. I love the Fred Dinage show Murder Casebook in particular.

I didn't really mind shows like Ice Road Truckers, Swamp People and Pawn Stars at first but they're so heavily edited and staged that it's put me off them. Plus I find them pretty boring to watch now. American Pickers is alright as a last resort.

I've never actually seen a 4K but I imagine it's stunning.

It's weird - they first used the HD quality we use now at the 1984 Olympics. Obviously things are quicker now but I imagine it'll still be a few years till it's affordable. I don't think I'd go over £1k or too close to it really so it'll have to be.

Got mine for £650 but it was reduced due to comet closing down.

They've almost all got reconstructions in them of some nature don't they? I know what you mean though - stuff like 1000 Ways to Die and Curious and Unusual Deaths. The former more than fits your description, it makes light and comedy out of how people have died.

In terms of current/repeating series I like stuff like The Devil You Know (relatives of a criminal recount their experiences with them), Couples Who Kill, When Life Means Life, Mobsters, Dr G etc.

The good thing about CI is that it's an English channel so there's a lot of British content on there. I love the Fred Dinage show Murder Casebook in particular.

I didn't really mind shows like Ice Road Truckers, Swamp People and Pawn Stars at first but they're so heavily edited and staged that it's put me off them. Plus I find them pretty boring to watch now. American Pickers is alright as a last resort.

Aye it's the ones where they intentionally try to sex them up, or give them a Desperate Housewives style voice over that I can't be doing with.

Will have a look at some of the ones you mentioned cheers.

The thing is, you get loads of channels, but 90 per cent of them are unwatchable crap.

If you don't watch the football and you don't rely on Atlantic for your HBO fix, then you can get rid and not miss it. I'm more bothered about losing the ease of use of the Sky box and control. That's one thing they've got completely sussed.

This is my thinking, and why I'll be dumping it in the very near future.

Best documentary channel is BBC4, only sky channel we ever bothered with was Atlantic, so Netflix here we come.

Netflix isn't really a replacement for Atlantic though cos there's no HBO shows on it. Don't get me wrong, Netflix is great for watching shows that you've never bothered with, but it'll quite often take them a while to get the latest series of things. Not trying to put you off it, co it is good, it's just not the answer for everything.

I can't recommend this Raspberry Pi thing enough as an easy means of watching all the latest shows as they air. Once it's set up, it's dead user friendly for all the family. I've got orders in to set a couple up for my mam and sister.