Laptop Warning!

Christmas Tree

Looks like my laptop has ceased to be. :(

Basically I get an I/o message and then a blank screen. Windows doesn't start.

Took it to point of purchase today and the man behind the counter had a glance at the message and said its probably your hard drive.

£39 quid for a new one and then simply reinstall windows and you're sorted. Only problem is the Microsoft key code is on a sticker on the bottom of the laptop and is half erased. Apparently this is the same siting of this sticker on most laptops and a common wear problem.

£80 odd quid to purchase a new licence or he suggested writing a begging email to Microsoft (some of his customers had done this and got a new code).

So basically if you don't have this jotted down somewhere, Do it NOW!

Is your hard drive clicking? do u have a restore cd? most laptops have restore built into the boot so you can restore to factory settings without the key. Possibly f8 on boot screen

Aye cheers, the samsung recovery screen basically try's to load something then gives up.

I've knocked up a recovery disc using the daughters laptop and so far I have this screen,

Posted Image

Hopefully it's doing something but I'm not sure whether this normally takes a few minutes or a few hours.

No clicking though.

Its odd that, normally if your harddrive had failed you would get an error message saying no harddrive detected boot failure. i would be tempted to try that hard drive in another machine as a slave and atleast then you'l kno if its working or not. If your other machine doesnt detect it assume the worst. (unless you haven't connected it properly)

Apparently the wife has advised me that the best way to fix a knackered hard drive is to put it in the oven for an hour on a low heat!

Before I blow the house up.... Thoughts :lol:

A myth...as is the freezer solution.

I think the oven myth is based on dodgy dry solder joints reheating and fixing themselves. But the harsh reality is it just cooks the drive and ensures certain death.

Edited by Ruler of Planet Houston

I've had a load of bother with my laptop recently. It just all of a sudden started either having no Internet connection, or else connecting like it was on really bad dialup.

Anyway have pissed about with drivers and all sorts to no avail. Reset my router to factory settings yesterday and it seems to now be fixed.

I've had a load of bother with my laptop recently. It just all of a sudden started either having no Internet connection, or else connecting like it was on really bad dialup.

Anyway have pissed about with drivers and all sorts to no avail. Reset my router to factory settings yesterday and it seems to now be fixed.

If that keeps happening, try changing the wifi channel in the router settings. You might be getting interference from a neighbour

Apparently the wife has advised me that the best way to fix a knackered hard drive is to put it in the oven for an hour on a low heat!

Before I blow the house up.... Thoughts :lol:

Even she's on the wind-up now. Next thing she'll be parading round the house in a range of :CT:-branded merchandise.

Is it HP?