Has football ever been so morally bankrupt as it currently is?

Kevin Carr's Gloves

In the meantime we watch cup games treated like training matches for second string wannabees and an exercise in avoiding injuries. No wonder the players don't give a shit and every year see our hopes pissed on usually by the third or fourth round. Why take the cups seriously, the Board doesn't, the players don't and the manager doesn't, because his focus is the league and avoiding the sack......so we're only ever competing to stay in the league against the other also rans. Where's the fucking hope?

2 things. We put out a pretty decent side against Leeds and beat them comfortably.The likes of Dummett and Sammy Ameobi need gametime to improve, surely the best time for any club to blood young players in like that is against lower league opposition in the cups? I think "second string wannabes" does Dummet especially a bit of a disservice.

Secondly - look, I'm not calling NUST liars, but to be honest I'm wondering if what the club supposedly said to them in the forum has been twisted slightly or rather just misinterpreted. The club haven't stated anything in public. Maybe they just meant the cups are less important than the league but they'll still want Pardew and the players to do as well as they can?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have thought there is much less corruption in football these days. Its a shiny glossy multi billion industry with greater scrutiny but plenty of space at the trough.

Brown bags in lay-bys are a thing of the past...and that would have been rife.

Honest small time graft back in the day I suppose. Kept quiet. Now the signing on fees and agents fees and kick backs are legitimised and out in the open it has a sourer taste.

+1

The game was taken away from a sizable proportion of fans who never really went back and were replaced with a CT type of fan, (no offence CT), the experience of going to a game seemed more raw and far less sterile than today. Considering that fans are constantly told gate money means fuck all then the amounts that get charged by clubs for a ticket up and down the country is scandalous. The money the likes of Robbie Savage has made from the game is obscene, agents and players take money out of football whilst clubs go to the wall. There's barely an Englishman in most teams, you have to pay to watch most football on tv, the chosen few clubs that the media have picked are all that matters, kids won't have a fucking clue and will grow up with Skys view of the football world.

And then there's Mike Ashley.

Preferred jumpers for goalposts.

Clubs weakening their teams for the only competitions they can win as well. :jesuswept:

Not being able to go to an away game without being a season ticket holder or a member, £1 added to an already overpriced ticket.

Having to sacrifice your clubs traditional home shirt for armchair fans can see 'who it is' and also so clubs can screw more money from fans who don't want a blank patch on their shirts.

Edited by Howmanheyman

I was just speaking to a lad on twitter about the perceptions of modern fans. Mass media is probably accountable for Leeds singing things like ''You've never won fuck all'' at us. Despite us having won more league titles than them and FIVE more F.A Cups.

Modern football is full of tossers basically but if you read football books and watch foreign leagues you can numb the pain. :)

I was just speaking to a lad on twitter about the perceptions of modern fans. Mass media is probably accountable for Leeds singing things like ''You've never won fuck all'' at us. Despite us having won more league titles than them and FIVE more F.A Cups.

Modern football is full of tossers basically but if you read football books and watch foreign leagues you can numb the pain. :)

Kids whose pubes are just coming through singing 'you've never won fuck all' with no clue about anything. Mind they're right as well, we haven't won nothing. We've won eleven trophies not including 2nd division champions.

The game was taken away from a sizable proportion of fans who never really went back and were replaced with a CT type of fan, (no offence CT), the experience of going to a game seemed more raw and far less sterile than today. Considering that fans are constantly told gate money means fuck all then the amounts that get charged by clubs for a ticket up and down the country is scandalous. The money the likes of Robbie Savage has made from the game is obscene, agents and players take money out of football whilst clubs go to the wall. There's barely an Englishman in most teams, you have to pay to watch most football on tv, the chosen few clubs that the media have picked are all that matters, kids won't have a fucking clue and will grow up with Skys view of the football world.

Clubs weakening their teams for the only competitions they can win as well. :jesuswept:

Not being able to go to an away game without being a season ticket holder or a member, £1 added to an already overpriced ticket.

Having to sacrifice your clubs traditional home shirt for armchair fans can see 'who it is' and also so clubs can screw more money from fans who don't want a blank patch on their shirts.

fab post.

Kids whose pubes are just coming through singing 'you've never won fuck all' with no clue about anything. Mind they're right as well, we haven't won nothing. We've won eleven trophies not including 2nd division champions.

Aye we haven't but those who live in glass houses.

troy-and-abed-community.gif

A club having to change their blue colours to red because their new foreign owner likes the colour better and thinks red is more popular in the far east. :jesuswept:

A new owner buying a club and wanting to change part of the clubs name because he hates the word 'city' in a clubs name. :jesuswept:

The game was taken away from a sizable proportion of fans who never really went back and were replaced with a CT type of fan, (no offence CT)

Too fucking late, offence taken.

So which fans fucked off in the mid 70's when I started going aged 11?

Some shit gets posted through rose tinted glasses IMO.

Football just mirrors society but to dress it up as been so much better and less sterile in the 70' and 80's is a load of tosh.

I spent many a midweek match in my 20's (as I worked every Saturday), stood in pathetically small crowds watching shit football. And that was it for a week bar Jimmy Hill for half an hour.

If it wasn't for the premier league and Sky we wouldn't have had Keegan the manager, Shearer or the entertainers. We wouldn't have had Tinis hat trick against Barcelona or probably Sir Bobby at the club.

The money that has come in over the last 20 years has done a lot of good for us whether that's the stadium or the managers and players who have graced St James.

That same money has led to the game being on virtually every day of the week and people being able to watch football from all over the world. How many off today's kids "who only know Sky's view of football" would like to go back to the "golden days" that you talk about?

So in conclusion, utter uber Geordie bollocks my friend.

I may not have grown up in a Newcastle dwelling family who had parents and brothers and uncles queuing up to take them to the game, but I've made sure since the 70's that I've got to as many games as I could afford to it that circumstances allowed.

So stick that up yer arse ;)

(Even more of a twat making have to reply on a phone as my lap tops fucked).

Too fucking late, offence taken.

So which fans fucked off in the mid 70's when I started going aged 11?

Some shit gets posted through rose tinted glasses IMO.

Football just mirrors society but to dress it up as been so much better and less sterile in the 70' and 80's is a load of tosh.

I spent many a midweek match in my 20's (as I worked every Saturday), stood in pathetically small crowds watching shit football. And that was it for a week bar Jimmy Hill for half an hour.

If it wasn't for the premier league and Sky we wouldn't have had Keegan the manager, Shearer or the entertainers. We wouldn't have had Tinis hat trick against Barcelona or probably Sir Bobby at the club.

The money that has come in over the last 20 years has done a lot of good for us whether that's the stadium or the managers and players who have graced St James.

That same money has led to the game being on virtually every day of the week and people being able to watch football from all over the world. How many off today's kids "who only know Sky's view of football" would like to go back to the "golden days" that you talk about?

So in conclusion, utter uber Geordie bollocks my friend.

I may not have grown up in a Newcastle dwelling family who had parents and brothers and uncles queuing up to take them to the game, but I've made sure since the 70's that I've got to as many games as I could afford to it that circumstances allowed.

So stick that up yer arse ;)

(Even more of a twat making have to reply on a phone as my lap tops fucked).

If it wasn't for the premier league and Sky we wouldn't have had Keegan the manager, Shearer or the entertainers

That's a strong statement CT, care to elaborate on that?...income increased for all top division clubs clubs post 1992, so to say it would never have happened is pointless tbh, manu wouldn't have won squllions of titles either.

How do we know CT's match going history?....he was up in the loft looking for bank statements iirc last time he was challenged :D

What was the first game you went to CT?....mines was Exeter in the cup, 81 ish...

I've been dubious about his claims of a 40 year match going history ever since he suggested to people on here that going to a reserve game might be a novel idea, then expressed delight at what a surprisingly good/cheap night out it had been.

All I suggest is a man should have a basic knowledge of a game he's ''watched for forty years''

Who else have I had a grievance with? You seem to be suggesting a pattern but as usual it's a fantasy like most things you come up with.

How do we know CT's match going history?....he was up in the loft looking for bank statements iirc last time he was challenged :D

What was the first game you went to CT?....mines was Exeter in the cup, 81 ish...

And I found it ;)

The first match I can remember was against a European team where someone called "Johnny" scored a belter for them and I think we lost 2-1. ( Peter off here once found the game details etc for me. It will come to me).

And I found it ;)

The first match I can remember was against a European team where someone called "Johnny" scored a belter for them and I think we lost 2-1. ( Peter off here once found the game details etc for me. It will come to me).

Bastia, Rep, 3-1.

All I suggest is a man should have a basic knowledge of a game he's ''watched for forty years''

Who else have I had a grievance with? You seem to be suggesting a pattern but as usual it's a fantasy like most things you come up with.

You do it all the time man. You were arguing with Parky last week, you were telling someone else you couldn't discuss stuff on here and lately all you do is belittle other posters who have different views to you.

Just because you are a self proclaimed football connoisseur, shouldn't mean that more average normal fans can't express there opinions too.

When people tell you Santon or Debuchy are playing crap you accuse them of "not seeing it".

Sometimes it's ok just to call a match or a performance the way it is.

And I found it ;)

:lol: Johnny Foreigner?

Think this was Melchester Rovers vs Milan United. 1978.

You're going to have to expand on this Christmas Tree. It just seems to be your view. Generally I'll tell someone they are wrong when they are - like you and you're 443 formation or Marveaux being a decent footballer whatever. Desmond Tutu saying two completely different managers are identical.

'self proclaimed football connoisseur' where did I proclaim that? Quote me.

Again it's just shite you're drumming up. Intimidated by youth, that's all. :up: