Meite still wants move

Scottish Mag

Abdoulaye Meite remains hopeful he can resurrect a move to Newcastle United, despite his reluctance to withdraw from the African Cup of Nations.

The Marseille defender is wanted by a trio of Premiership clubs, with Middlesbrough and Bolton Wanderers joining Newcastle in the hunt.

Magpies boss Graeme Souness is loath to press ahead with his interest in Meite due to the stopper's desire to play for Ivory Coast at the African Cup of Nations.

That has scuppered any chance of a loan deal until the end of the season, but Meite appears keen on a permanent move to St James' Park.

He readily admits he will not change his mind about representing his country, but is optimistic some form of deal can be reached before the close of the transfer window.

"There are still contacts," Meite told L'Equipe. "But, of course, it is out of the question I will leave my national team.

"My number one aim is the African Cup of Nations, but I have no worries.

"January is not over. Anything can still happen.

"If the Newcastle people really want me, they will hire me, and if we can find an agreement it will be with pleasure.

"I would prefer a definitive transfer, but I am still open."

started 2 games all season. hes just the french leagues andy o'brien tbh.

79210[/snapback]

Seen him play a lot have you?

Seeing that you're saying he's shite, I actually want to sign him now, seeing that you're the worst football pundit I've ever come across.

started 2 games all season. hes just the french leagues andy o'brien tbh.

79210[/snapback]

Seen him play a lot have you?

Seeing that you're saying he's shite, I actually want to sign him now, seeing that you're the worst football pundit I've ever come across.

79689[/snapback]

Second or third tbh.

Souness and Pleat take 1st and 2nd spot.