New desktop

Christmas Tree

I'm after a new desktop for the bairn. Had a quick scoot around PC world in a Newcastle the other day but couldn't see any. Didn't want the hard sell so didn't ask if they still did them.

Anyway, my ideal combo is a decent PC mainly for homework but also to allow her to watch Telly on a larger monitor. Sub £500

Anyone bought anything similar recently?

Windows 8 64

Intel® Core™ i5

Intel HD Graphics (up to 1.7 GB)

8 GB DDR3

2 TB 7200 rpm SATA

£480

No idea if that's reasonable.

No idea, as I say it's mainly for doing homework on, no gaming so the specs needed are probably minimal.

I'll compare that while looking cheers.

Hadn't read your full op about needing a monitor too.

Windows 8 64

Intel® Core™ i3

Intel HD Graphics (up to 1.7 GB)

8 GB DDR3

2 TB 7200 rpm SATA

£393

Screen size: 50.8 cm (20”)

Resolution: 1600 x 900

1 DVI-D; 1 VGA

£79

While we're on the subject, does anyone know where I could buy a PC with a parallel port? It needs to be built in rather than an after market board added in. It's unsurprisingly rarer than hens' teeth these days.

While we're on the subject, does anyone know where I could buy a PC with a parallel port? It needs to be built in rather than an after market board added in. It's unsurprisingly rarer than hens' teeth these days.

I've got a couple lying around in my garage :) - decent spec about 7 tears ago (Athlon/2gb etc)

Twenty quid for the both of them, including delivery (obviously).

Up until a year ago I was able to buy them reasonably easily but this time round there's nothing available at all.

Thermal vinyl printers. They'll only work through parallel ports directly connected to the motherboard on the 32 bit system.

I could use a USB to parallel but legit copies of the program would cost around £5k.

This is the point where I turn into CT.

So I would put an aftermarket parallel port into the computer and connect it directly to the motherboard? It doesn't need any further power source or connections? And what sort of cable connects the two?

I do realise that this may be basic stuff.

I have fuckloads of those lying around but never put 2&2 together. I'll have a look at a few of the other computers around tomorrow and see if any of the motherboards support LPT.

Cheers for the help!

CT , 500 is a lot for a pc for a youngen. I'd revise down as your going to get wastage buying an i5 or i7 for someone web browsing and doing homework. 400 with a monitor would seem appropriate. Look at i3 processors with about 6gb ram. Should be sufficently future proof too

CT , 500 is a lot for a pc for a youngen. I'd revise down as your going to get wastage buying an i5 or i7 for someone web browsing and doing homework. 400 with a monitor would seem appropriate. Look at i3 processors with about 6gb ram. Should be sufficently future proof too

Cheers, just been looking as it happens and came across this for just over £200. Not sure what "mini PC" means but can't really think she would anything much more complex for homework at 9. Basically web surfing and using office?

http://www.falconcomputers.co.uk/computers/desktop-pcs/home--office-pcs/falcon-mini-pc-amd-5300-dual-core-4gb-ddr3-320gb-hdd-amd-radeon-hd7000-3d-gfx-windows-7.html