Newcastle United - Liverpool

Aeris

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah BT sport was ridiculous.

Just another Liverpool old boys club. McManaman sounding off that Dummett's goal ''wasn't very good'' on BBC Hansen pointed out his poor use of the offside trap straight after his goal and even during the match highlights the commentator ''felt'' that Dummett ''had to be offside'' when he was a mile on.

BT - like Sky usually do - were pretty much cheering Liverpool on.

Why do that to a kid for fucks sake? It would be different if it was a Danny Sturridge goal. Dummett couldn't have taken it any better, clever run, great finish.

Yeah BT sport was ridiculous.

Just another Liverpool old boys club. McManaman sounding off that Dummett's goal ''wasn't very good'' on BBC Hansen pointed out his poor use of the offside trap straight after his goal and even during the match highlights the commentator ''felt'' that Dummett ''had to be offside'' when he was a mile on.

BT - like Sky usually do - were pretty much cheering Liverpool on.

Why do that to a kid for fucks sake? It would be different if it was a Danny Sturridge goal. Dummett couldn't have taken it any better, clever run, great finish.

Shearer seemed genuinely annoyed at that, it was as unchummy as it ever gets on MOTD

It was just a twattish thing to do to be honest. Absolutely abhorrent.

I'd never seem Dummett at centre half - so basically you're criticising a player who's had an otherwise brilliant day - playing- to the best of my knowledge - out of position against the most potent strikeforce in the league.

Shearer should have sparked him out.

I wondered at that too, but assumed Dummett must have some history at CB - criticism from Hanson was harsh given that. Still looks good for the kid, really hope he can continue on like this.

I wondered at that too, but assumed Dummett must have some history at CB - criticism from Hanson was harsh given that. Still looks good for the kid, really hope he can continue on like this.

Hansen thinks David Luiz is shit though.

Hansen thinks David Luiz is shit though.

I don't think he's that good either as it happens although he is better than Darren Bradshaw.

P.S. Hansen looks uncomfortable everytime I see him on the BBC lately. He's blatantly seeing his time out.

In the three minutes or so analysis time for that game and considering how tight the schedule for an episode is according to Gary Lineker when people say the analysis is shit, that appeal should never have been considered for air.

Sheer desperation to find a negative for a young lad who played well.

Wonder if Andros Townshend will get similar tonight? :glare:

Some daft cunt in front of me stood up and clapped every time Gerrard took a corner at the gallowgate end :lol:

2 posh lads from wales were sat directly behind me too and were supporting LFC. They cheered when Mbiwa got sent off. I thought they were going to get lynched. The nice lad next to me told them he hoped their mothers died of cancer as he was being held back :lol:

Edited by TheRollingStones

Some daft cunt in front of me stood up and clapped every time Gerrard took a corner at the gallowgate end :lol:

2 posh lads from wales were sat directly behind me too and were supporting LFC. They cheered when Mbiwa got sent off. I thought they were going to get lynched. The nice lad next to me told them he hoped their mothers died of cancer as he was being held back :lol:

There's no posh in Wales mate.

Fucking Hell :lol:

I'm not opposed to lads like that getting a clip.

I clapped Gerrard when he scored that hat trick - but most of the ground did - he was world class. Perhaps he was being clapped for his England exploits?

Play to the whistle is schoolboy stuff, it's bad enough at amateur level if someone doesn't do it, professionals shouldn't even contemplate stopping and hoping for the best.

What the fuck have poor schoolboys done to deserve being lumped in with every single professional footballer fuck up? :unsure:

) Newcastle United 1-4 Liverpool (September 1987)

Liverpool's undressing of Newcastle in the 1974 FA Cup final is probably the most complete performance in fixtures between these two clubs, but the Joy of Six has chuntered on about the brilliance of Alec Lindsay's disallowed pearler, the joyous be-bop stylings of David Coleman's commentary, Kevin Keegan's nod to Total Football, and the pre-match majesty of Bruce Forsyth – from boos to a chorus of Nice One Brucie in 20 seconds, the greatest Wembley performance – before.

Anyway, as that final spoke more about the end of an era, Shankly's swansong and all that, let's concentrate on the dawning of one of English football's great sides instead. Going into the Football League's centenary season, champions Everton were expected to retain their title, with George Graham's Arsenal – who had topped the table for three months during the previous season, and ended an eight-year trophy drought with the Littlewoods Cup – hotly tipped to push Colin Harvey's side hard. Liverpool, it's easy to forget, had just lost Ian Rush to Juventus, and there was no guarantee the £1.9m British record signing of Peter Beardsley would gel with the other new boys John Barnes and John Aldridge (who had signed in January but only started twice, albeit scoring on both occasions). "The loss of Rush could well create a goal-scoring vacuum at Anfield," argued your super soaraway Guardian, which to be fair has never promised to underwrite your betting money.

Liverpool, as the records show, flew out of the blocks, though the table didn't reflect their fast start – a jiggered sewer under the Kop forced the postponement of their first two home fixtures. They arrived in Newcastle in mid-September in fine fettle, having won spectacularly at Arsenal (a long-range Steve Nicol header) and Coventry (four goals). The home side, despite heavy investment in English football's first Brazilian, Mirandinha, were languishing near the foot of the table after a dismal start under their 1974 Cup final keeper Willie McFaul. Liverpool, in the first live televised game of the season, were about to show the nation what all the fuss was about.

Beardsley – getting the bird from the fans of the club he'd just left – released Barnes to set up Nicol for the opener. Aldridge made it two. Nicol would have chipped Liverpool into a 3-0 lead before half-time had Beardsley not wandered offside, but the warnings weren't heeded. Beardsley set up Nicol to make it three, and though Neil McDonald pulled one back from the penalty spot after the otherwise quiet Mirandinha was put on his face by Gary Gillespie, Nicol completed an astonishing hat-trick with a scooped chip after being released by Aldridge down the inside-right channel. Nicol ended the day with a record of six goals in six games from the right-back spot, while Aldridge had yet to fail to score for Liverpool while starting a match. The nation now had a fair idea what was going on.

Shame about Newcastle's capitulation, though. Partly because poor McFaul found himself out of work within the month, undressed by Liverpool again, but mainly because the result denied BBC1 viewers up and down the country a different sort of televisual treat. "If, when the game is over, you sense an interview with Mirandinha coming on, please turn down the volume immediately," our very own Stephen Bierley had advised in the weekend's football diary before the match. "The Brazilian's grasp of English is still rather rudimentary, but his vernacular, courtesy of Paul Gascoigne, is coming on a treat."

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/oct/18/joy-of-six-liverpool-newcastle-united

Think this was mentioned a while back, perhaps by Stevie?...Steve Nichol hatrick that day....from right back, 6 goals in 6 games :lol: what a side.