Tactical analysis of Newcastle (with graphics and screenshots)

RoryFitz9

Hi all, I am a Liverpool fan and do tactical previews of the opposition. It tries to give Liverpool fans a decent understanding of the opposition in 3mins. I like to post these on opposition forums to get feedback about how accurate my analysis is as no-one knows a team better than their own set of fans.

-------------------------------------------------

A team of 2 halves

The Newcastle United team this season have a very clear strenght and a very clear weakness that simply breaks down as their 'attack & defence'. The dichotomy within the team is almost perfectly reflected in the current standings with a record of 3 wins, 3 loses and the other being a draw. Appropriately for this team, its black & white with little apparent grey area. The enigmatic performances don't even stretch from just game-to-game but even half to half.

Pardew after Everton defeat: "The 1st half, I'm afraid, wasn't good enough. The inconsistencies I spoke about before the game have come back to haunt us again. We defended so much better in the 2nd half. We didn't gift them any goals. They had to earn their chances and we caused them all sorts of problems".

Pardew after Cardiff victory: "1st half - wow - was some performance it really was, one of the best halves I have seen as Newcastle manager. But this team does really need a health warning because 2nd half we didn't keep it as well or create as much as we would've liked ....... and had to have a grandstand finish unfortunately".

Set up

Newcastle's shape is very much a 4-2-3-1 type set up. The defensive midfield duo is generally Sissoko partnered, mostly by Suarez's old Ajax team-mate Vurnon Anita, or less frequently, Cheik Tiote. Yohan Cabaye has been the player given licence to get forward and support Papiss Cisse and feed the likes Loic Remy and Hatem Ben Arfa. However, at times Sissoko will also use his energy to break forward . These are likely to be sporadic bursts from midfield rather than stationing himself in an advanced area, Cabaye is the player likely to position himself at the apex of the midfield.

AvePitchPositionvsVilla.png

On the set up above after the Villa game, Pardew commented that "We played very, very well today and I thought some of our play was what it should be at Newcastle. We have a real attacking mode at the club and that's the type of offensive side I want to put out , but I have been unable to do so really since Demba Ba left". Against Liverpool, it will be the 1st home game since being humbled at Goodison Park - should Pardew seek to appease the fans and field his favoured attacking line-up, the above is what can we expect.

Mode of attack

The attacking strenght within this team is very definitely carried by the wide players - Remy on the left & Ben Arfa on the right . However, 'wide' is something of a misnomer. Whilst they will be stationed wide, once they receive possession their initial instinct is to look to carry the ball infield and attack towards goal. Pardew has stationed Remy on the left to allow him to cut in on his right foot whilst Ben Arfa is predominantly left-footed and dribbles infield from the right to get a shot off.

Below is Remy's goal against Cardiff. Initially Cardiff are attacking (1st screenshot) but the pass into the striker is intercepted. The interception falls to Sissoko who immediately looks for Remy (2nd screenshot). I will touch on Remy's positioning further on but for the sake of the attacking side of Newcastle's game, this approach has allowed Newcastle to counter swiftly with Remy getting down the line in the final screenshot and cutting inside to get a shot off which managed to beat David Marshall to give Newcastle the lead. Also of note is there was alot of running in this move from Sissoko.

RemygoalvsCardiff.PNG

On the other side of the pitch, Ben Arfa demonstrates the same tendancies though he is a bit more willing to go on the outside for the cross. However, if there is any space inside, he will look to exploit it. By coming inside, he is likely to be supported by Cabaye in the attacking midfield role and have a willing runner from the left in Remy who will look to get into the box when the play is not coming down his flank. As an example, here are 2 seperate attempts by Ben Arfa vs Villa that almost look identical. In the 2nd screenshot, Guzan could only parry the shot out to Gouffran who scored the winner from the rebound. This bears some similarities to Giaccherini's goal at the Stadium of Light i.e. a long shot parried out and capitalised on by the opposition.

BenArfaInside.png

Below are the heat maps of both Remy & Ben Arfa from the recent home game against Hull City. Apart from being almost identical, they would seem to show 2 players that receive the ball in wide areas inside the oppositions half but try to move infield the further forward the play is. Also, there is a limited presence in the wing positions near the goal line for providing crosses.

Remy-BenArfa.png

Threats from distance

Linked to the above analysis, Newcastle have taken the 3rd most shots on goal in the league this season and those 2 wide players average the most shots per game for Newcastle. Also something to be considered is that Newcastle have taken the most shots from outside the box this season. As such, should the likes of Remy, Cabaye and Ben Arfa find the kind of space that Sunderland got outside the box only 3 weeks ago when Liverpool played away in the north-east then we could be facing quite a few shots again, though from better strikers of a football.

The threat from Remy is depicted below in the 1st graphic. No other club has got off more shots from the left side of the pitch. Additionally, with Cisse off form and Cabaye only starting half the games so far, Newcastle's attempts from the middle of the pitch are 3rd lowest (2nd graphic). The threat from Newcastle is from players cutting in and getting shots off with the final graphic showing where Newcastle have got their goals from.

NewcastleShootingPositions.png

The analysis continues here:

http://www.theinsideright.com

The rest of the preview looks at Newcastle's failings in defence.

Critical feedback appreciated as you know the team much much better than I do.

When I said '...critical feedback', I meant about the piece, not my social life ;)

Ok. If you want Critical feedback, then.........on a purely tactical level it was detailed in a opta kind of way but didn't grab me and take me to a higher level. The genre of tactical analysis is such that one tends to browse through statistics in a world weary fashion only picking up certain nuances and letting the rest wash over ones head.

Please, no need for thanks

:good:

Ok. If you want Critical feedback, then.........on a purely tactical level it was detailed in a opta kind of way but didn't grab me and take me to a higher level. The genre of tactical analysis is such that one tends to browse through statistics in a world weary fashion only picking up certain nuances and letting the rest wash over ones head.

Please, no need for thanks

:good:

I was rather looking for feedback on what I have seen of Newcastle rather than the approach I took in compiling the analysis. Are there pieces that are fundamentally wrong as you see them every week whereas I dont so I am open to getting things wrong..................thats what I mean ;)

I think you're too worried about our attacking ability

:(

Did you look at the link and scroll down to your defence, if not, here is another excerpt from the blog

Newcastle's defence

The Achilles heel of this Newcastle team is their defence. However, the strenght & weakness of this team are not mutually exclusive issues and are linked to;

(a) the attacking tendancies of the full backs, Debuchy & Santon, combined with

( B) the limited cover afforded to them by Remy & Ben Arfa, and finally

© the inconsistencies from Coloccini's partner be it Yanga-Mbiwa or recently, Mike Williamson.

The primary concern for Newcastle in defence is the exposure of the full backs with little support from the wings. However, from looking at Newcastle compared to other teams they seem to be purposely exposed . Its happened too often for it to be just a lapse. By largely absolving Remy & Ben Arfa of defensive responsibilities, it helps Newcastle pounce on the counter attack like they did against Cardiff when they found Remy quickly as he was not asked to track back (graphic already shown above). Liverpool's opponents after Newcastle is West Brom at Anfield who play a similar(ish) system but their wide players work so much harder and are detailed to support the full backs, unlike Newcastle.

In the graphic below, Santon faces Wiemann in the left back area. Nothing to see here. However, in the space of 5 seconds, Wiemann moves infield with the ball and drags Santon with him. He checks back and finds Lowton who has run into the void to provide the overlap. Note that Remy has shown no interest to help his full back despite facing the play and being able to see Lowton sprinting 30 yards to create a 2-on-1 on the flank. Anita has covered El Ahmadi by this stage but the space at left back has caused their best defender, Coloccini, to be drawn a few more yards out of the center when ideally he will want to be dropping back in to defend the cross.

RemyDefending2.png

A similar case occurs below with Remy in the Hull City game. The progress of how play develops is provided within the graphic. Ultimately Hull don't capitalise this time.

RemyCoverFinished.png

Whilst Hull didn't take advantage in the sequence above, their equaliser came from a not-too-dissimilar passage of play. Again, a description of the play is provided within the graphic.

EqualisingGoal.png

Edited by RoryFitz9

I think you're right when you say that Remy and Ben Arfa aren't on the pitch to track back and support the full back that's facing the attacking wide man, however I would say that should really be the responsibility of one of the midfield three. Our issue isn't with fullbacks being exposed lazy strikers, it's a lack of cohesion and strategy at the back. I don't think it's a deliberate tactic to see Santon and Debuchy isolated to keep the forwards free to counter. I think our midfield is supposed to support them and our fullbacks aren't supposed to allow themselves to be dragged out of position to easily. Take Brady's goal; Debuchy is nowhere. He's not marking anyone in the centre, he's not close enough to Aluko. He should be holding the line that Colo dictates, close enoughto BRady to take away that as an easy option. Sissoko or Cabaye should be pressing Aluko with Anita pressing the guy on the ball.

I just don't think the three in the middle know who to pick up and when.

The season we finished 5th our defence was the foundation for every attack. A settled, solid back 5 (inc. an impressive Tiote) meant our new players could express themselves with a freedom that the current crop aren't getting. These days a want-away captain, unsettled fullbacks and average 2nd centre halves mean we're all at sea at the back. Mike Williamson recently got a standing ovation ffs.

All in all it's good analysis though.

I think as Fish says, it's not an intended tactic to see the fullbacks isolated, it's just that we haven't worked out how to get the two deeper midfielders to cover the fact that neither Remy or HBA will do much work tracking back (although it's worth considering that Remy's fitness levels aren't yet a peak because of his missed pre season. He may be able to work a bit harder when he catches up).

Pardew addressed this in the second half against Cardiff by replacing Remy with Jonas and that worked well defensively but of course weakened our attack.

If Tiote starts alongside Sissoko (which I expect) and sticks with what he's good at, that will also help the problem (something that I think did seem to happen against Cardiff). Anita is a nice footballer but he isn't the block in front of the back four that Tiote can be.

Or is it our complete lack of wingers that forces us to play this way?

Aye. I just think if you say to 3 players "you're all covering the wing and should interchange", rather than adding extra cover you're giving them all a pass on what their responsibilities are. Which is why we're seeing huge gaps left.

Is Pardew good enough, or are our players good enough, with the stamina, to put that system into play where they all bust a gut and look out for one another to cover runs? Maybe they will be in the long run. Against lesser opposition I think we can do it, it looked lush against West Brom last season. But any team we come up against with anything about them knows how to exploit the weakness.

When you have the likes of Danny Simpson limiting himself to defending 95% of the time and one man in front of him knowing he's the only one in the team that can lend a hand, I think you have a more solid foundation, despite the personnel having less ability.

Aye. I just think if you say to 3 players "you're all covering the wing and should interchange", rather than adding extra cover you're giving them all a pass on what their responsibilities are. Which is why we're seeing huge gaps left.

Is Pardew good enough, or are our players good enough, with the stamina, to put that system into play where they all bust a gut and look out for one another to cover runs? Maybe they will be in the long run. Against lesser opposition I think we can do it, it looked lush against West Brom last season. But any team we come up against with anything about them knows how to exploit the weakness.

When you have the likes of Danny Simpson limiting himself to defending 95% of the time and one man in front of him knowing he's the only one in the team that can lend a hand, I think you have a more solid foundation, despite the personnel having less ability.

See, I think thats where players are lacking nowadays, they seem to need to be instructed to do everything and nothings their own fault if it goes wrong. Its happened enough times for them to have learned what to do now. If Santon or Debuchy have been instructed to push on, all Pardew should then have to say is "make sure you drop in to cover" before the game to the midfileders tbh. Its basic football intelligence and it should be second nature to players at this level.

See, I think thats where players are lacking nowadays, they seem to need to be instructed to do everything and nothings their own fault if it goes wrong. Its happened enough times for them to have learned what to do now. If Santon or Debuchy have been instructed to push on, all Pardew should then have to say is "make sure you drop in to cover" before the game to the midfileders tbh. Its basic football intelligence and it should be second nature to players at this level.

Aye, it should be second nature, but who should he ask to drop in from a 4-3-3? The "wide" midfielders or forwards? DK was suggesting the former, but in reality we don't have any deeper midfielders that would naturally fill that gap. Unfortunately as he also points out, you won't get the enthusiam for tracking back week in and week out from Remy and Ben Arfa either.

At the moment we seem to have the worst of both worlds where it's not necessarily seen as anyones duty.

Aye, it should be second nature, but who should he ask to drop in from a 4-3-3? The "wide" midfielders or forwards? DK was suggesting the former, but in reality we don't have any deeper midfielders that would naturally fill that gap. Unfortunately as he also points out, you won't get the enthusiam for tracking back week in and week out from Remy and Ben Arfa either.

At the moment we seem to have the worst of both worlds where it's not necessarily seen as anyones duty.

No, its the job of one of the midfield 3 iyam.