mackems vs Newcastle United

Brock Manson

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ben Arfa has to be ahead of Cisse. Cisse has done nothing all season and doesn't warrant starting the game over Ben Arfa, who has been hot and cold this season, whereas Cisse's been freezing caad, these past few months. Finally though it's good to be able to have to make this choice instead of being forced into it through injury and suspensions.

gouffran left, HBA right, Remy through the middle for me if we're leaving out Cisse

Debuchy will be less exposed against these even without protection from his winger

is there a "gone fishing" for this fixture fish? might make for some interesting replies

What's the point? they never answer the questions, just smash their 6 fingers against the keyboard until it types out "Fuck Off" and then congratulate each-other on their witty replies.

If enough people think I should give it a go, I will, but I'd not expect anything but "hilarious" replies.

To be fair - regarding Ben Arfa his last two starts have seen him adopt fairly alien positions. Obviously he played as a false nine the once before - against Anzhi IIRC - & he got into it well enough - but missed a match winning chance. On Saturday he helped the midfield a lot & that's where our first half battle was won - so whilst unspectacular I wouldn't say he was terrible. I was expecting more but I'd forgotten about Liverpool's 3 centre halves. The threats were always going to be down the wing & Pardew went for a conservative choice in Gouffran - as he tracks back like a mad man & gets forward just as well. As long as the goals are coming from somewhere it doesn't really matter but for me Hatem was a better choice than Cisse because he can barely even hold it up these days.

Against Everton he was terrible - but he was on the left against a good full back. That was pretty much always going to happen. Hull - of course did a good job to neutralise him - but as I brought up before we can still carry a threat on the other flank with Remy. Which is the benefit of having a couple of good attackers. Of course their 4-4-2 was also fairly effective - as well as the fact we pretty much switched off.

I think it' a little too early to say he's uninterested or out of form. For me the question is - will Pardew choose to have his best players on the pitch or will he sacrifice them for the system? (which relies on the wide forwards & fb's overlapping, helping each other)

Personally I'd rather start with a front 3 of -

Remy - Gouffran - Ben Arfa

and I think that'll do the trick as it's probably our most threatening - obviously if Cisse wasn't mid drought he'd be up top.

Though it's a funny one because Sunderland, offensively at least are fairly strong on the wings so we'll need a degree of discipline & if we do get caught on the break don't let Adam Johnson on his left because I'm fairly tired of seeing him score the same goal past us again and again.

You'd like to think we can keep the ball & frustrate them, get the ball to the wide men & torture their full backs. They're low on confidence so a goal may be the catalyst for victory as the belief simply isn't there - judging by their complete capitulation at Swansea anyway. So it'll be unlike the past couple of times we've been there.

Regardless of whether their heads drop I'd like to think we're good enough. They do have an ok set of players who at times have put some energetic performances in even against decent teams but they've took nothing from these games which is why they're heads drop.

They'll be up for this no doubt but I'd like to think the changes Poyet will want to introduce will take too long* to have any effect & if they do are they really good enough to play that way? I can't remember a Sunderland side that wasn't crudely direct. So playing from the back can initially lead a team like that straight into trouble.

(*which can obviously be seen in our own transition from playing the ball in the sky to on the deck)

As much as we are weak at centre half I think they'll have more to worry about. They'll have motivation to get their season kicked off & perhaps save the club from relegation - but I can't see that ''playing for your place'' has much relevance with the lads at Sunderland any more.

For me if we win the battle in midfield & seize control of the game we'll win the match - and the man to marshall that is Yohan Cabaye.

Their centre midfield pairing should consist of Gardner & Cattermole - so long as we're disciplined - we should better that - though Tiote will have to keep cool. Hopefully we go at them from the first whistle - because whilst our 2-2 draw inspires confidence - they will be shitting themselves.

Fairly random waffle there :up:

I don't think it was a sending off - it was a 50/50 for me - as Fletcher put the boot in just as bad. Latter in the game there were other incidents that we're pretty much ignored too - Shola took a kick in the face etc.

However he's calmed down on that front - well it appears that way - one card in his last seven?

We only want to see Tiote doing the simple things anyway, breaking up the play, winning the ball back & giving it to somebody to start the attack - like Sissoko etc etc.

I'd be happy with Taylor never playing another game for us again. Williamson is an honest pro who is a limited player but doesn't try to be something he's not. Taylor is a disaster waiting to happen. You never know what you're going to get with him and derbies are simply not games to play "maverick" (read: fucking insane) players like him, especially in the centre of defence.

Have you read others comments? Not to mention that he was dropped in the last away game. Hardly revolutionary thinking !

Yeah, and you're the only one saying it's some big choice to make. It isn't. He starts.

To be fair - regarding Ben Arfa his last two starts have seen him adopt fairly alien positions. Obviously he played as a false nine the once before - against Anzhi IIRC - & he got into it well enough - but missed a match winning chance. On Saturday he helped the midfield a lot & that's where our first half battle was won - so whilst unspectacular I wouldn't say he was terrible. I was expecting more but I'd forgotten about Liverpool's 3 centre halves. The threats were always going to be down the wing & Pardew went for  a conservative choice in Gouffran  - as he tracks back like a mad man & gets forward just as well. As long as the goals are coming from somewhere it doesn't really matter but for me Hatem was a better choice than Cisse because he can barely even hold it up these days.

Against Everton he was terrible - but he was on the left against a good full back. That was pretty much always going to happen. Hull - of course did a good job to neutralise him - but as I brought up before we can still carry a threat on the other flank with Remy. Which is the benefit of having a couple of good attackers. Of course their 4-4-2 was also fairly effective - as well as the fact we pretty much switched off.

I think it' a little too early to say he's uninterested or out of form. For me the question is - will Pardew choose to have his best players on the pitch or will he sacrifice them for the system? (which relies on the wide forwards & fb's overlapping, helping each other)

Personally I'd rather start with a front 3 of -

Remy - Gouffran - Ben Arfa

and I think that'll do the trick as it's probably our most threatening - obviously if Cisse wasn't mid drought he'd be up top.

Though it's a funny one because Sunderland, offensively at least are fairly strong on the wings so we'll need a degree of discipline & if we do get caught on the break don't let Adam Johnson on his left because I'm fairly tired of seeing him score the same goal past us again and again.

You'd like to think we can keep the ball & frustrate them, get the ball to the wide men & torture their full backs. They're low on confidence so a goal may be the catalyst for victory as the belief simply isn't there - judging by their complete capitulation at Swansea anyway. So it'll be unlike the past couple of times we've been there.

Regardless of whether their heads drop I'd like to think we're good enough. They do have an ok set of players who at times have put some energetic performances in even against decent teams but they've took nothing from these games which is why they're heads drop.

They'll be up for this no doubt but I'd like to think the changes Poyet will want to introduce will take too long* to have any effect & if they do are they really good enough to play that way? I can't remember a Sunderland side that wasn't crudely direct. So playing from the back can initially lead a team like that straight into trouble.

(*which can obviously be seen in our own transition from playing the ball in the sky to on the deck)

As much as we are weak at centre half I think they'll have more to worry about. They'll have motivation to get their season kicked off & perhaps save the club from relegation - but I can't see that ''playing for your place'' has much relevance with the lads at Sunderland any more.

For me if we win the battle in midfield & seize control of the game we'll win the match - and the man to marshall that is Yohan Cabaye.

Their centre midfield pairing should consist of Gardner & Cattermole - so long as we're disciplined - we should better that - though Tiote will have to keep cool. Hopefully we go at them from the first whistle - because whilst our 2-2 draw inspires confidence - they will be shitting themselves.

Fairly random waffle there :up:

Great post that Tom.

What's the point? they never answer the questions, just smash their 6 fingers against the keyboard until it types out "Fuck Off" and then congratulate each-other on their witty replies.

If enough people think I should give it a go, I will, but I'd not expect anything but "hilarious" replies.

It'll be like a car crash, or watching Geordie Shore

I would against better teams (your Liverpools etc) but in this instance I'd let them worry about us. I think as an overall threat it's at it's peak with Remy/Ben Arfa on either flank because whether he's on a good day or not Ben Arfa is going to pull men towards him.

I've not seen a great deal of Remy in the centre but for me - I like him coming in from the left so he can cut in & shoot or find the CF/RW and we can have teams really stretched, especially on the break. So whilst I agree in principle I think that's our most potent attack (striker subject to change) and that's what we should be going with.

Teams won't be so keen to throw everything up against us with that forward three on the break.

Aye, give gouffran a go through the middle and the two danger men out wide, cutting in

I think of Gouffran as more of a Jonas with end product, he needs to stay on the wing where his work rate is the highest.