mackems vs Newcastle United

Brock Manson

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd love to see a happy face graph on Ben Arfas "rabbit out of a hat per game ratio".

As Chez put it so well last week, talk of Ben Arfa being undroppable is stupid.

When's he's poor, he's a passenger we can't afford.

slow day in the cab by any chance :lol:

I'm in the camp of not being that fond of derby day to be honest, well, especially at their place. I'm am still emotionally scarred by the 1990 play offs to be honest. Post Traumatic Stress. I like to get them out the way, stuff them, laugh for a bit, then move one.

You're the boy who cried wolf CT. You've talked so much shit no-one can see past that shit when you actually say something which isn't all that unreasonable.

Ben Arfa's not been dragged off versus Everton or dropped for Cardiff due to injury, but on his performance. There was spin wanking in this thread when the teams were announced on Saturday and we heard he was being deployed as a "false 9", but when he was ineffectual it's blamed on the position he was played in.

Maybe it was an experiment gone wrong, maybe he needs a few games in that position to get up to speed, but Ben Arfa does seem to need the planets to align to put in a performance, in the right position, in the right formation, against the right opposition.

When the planets do align he is incredible. It's up to Pardew to shift the earth to get him in that mood as frequently as posible.

Whether he starts against the mackems or comes off the bench, he should certainly play a part. It might be common sense to keep him away from the frantic first half and introduce him in the second when there's more time on the ball available.

The thing is, HBA against clumsy players like Cattermole can have a field day, now hes fit and able to play Id have him in that starting 11 no question.

Liverpool are a good side, in excellent form and are well organised, Sunderland are none of these things

Gardner, Cattermole, Bardsley are all morons who dive in and a player who can move the ball quickly like Ben Arfa will see them picking up bookings, getting us freekicks in good spots and potentially getting someone sent off.

and thats without the fact he can conjure magic at times and is a second highest scorer so far.

You're the boy who cried wolf CT. You've talked so much shit no-one can see past that shit when you actually say something which isn't all that unreasonable.

Ben Arfa's not been dragged off versus Everton or dropped for Cardiff due to injury, but on his performance. There was spin wanking in this thread when the teams were announced on Saturday and we heard he was being deployed as a "false 9", but when he was ineffectual it's blamed on the position he was played in.

Maybe it was an experiment gone wrong, maybe he needs a few games in that position to get up to speed, but Ben Arfa does seem to need the planets to align to put in a performance, in the right position, in the right formation, against the right opposition.

When the planets do align he is incredible. It's up to Pardew to shift the earth to get him in that mood as frequently as posible.

Whether he starts against the mackems or comes off the bench, he should certainly play a part. It might be common sense to keep him away from the frantic first half and introduce him in the second when there's more time on the ball available.

Surely the right opposition are slow, clumsy players shorn of confidence? If so, this is the team to play Hatem Ben Arfa against, so CT's assertion the big question is whether to drop him or not, is bollocks?

The bigger problem for me is the back line; While I don't massively rate their forward line, I don't fancy going into a Derby game with a mediocre Williamson and a realistically untested Dummet.

Surely the right opposition are slow, clumsy players shorn of confidence? If so, this is the team to play Hatem Ben Arfa against, so CT's assertion the big question is whether to drop him or not, is bollocks?

The bigger problem for me is the back line; While I don't massively rate their forward line, I don't fancy going into a Derby game with a mediocre Williamson and a realistically untested Dummet.

Not if he's being a miserable prick at the moment. See my comment in the Liverpool thread about his attitude to Dummet's goal. He should have tore up Hull if he only plays against poorer opposition (which I don't accept he does), but he didn't. He's not put in a performance since Villa...after which he was promising he would be bringing consistency to the table.

Not if he's being a miserable prick at the moment. See my comment in the Liverpool thread about his attitude to Dummet's goal. He should have tore up Hull if he only plays against poorer opposition (which I don't accept he does), but he didn't. He's not put in a performance since Villa...after which he was promising he would be bringing consistency to the table.

Fair enough, but it could be that he was going back to restart the game because he wanted to grab the winner? ;)

Look, Hatem Ben Arfa is the most technically gifted footballer at the club and yes Pardew's responsibility is getting him to produce consistently or at least find a system that affords HBA the chance to perform the attacking side of his game without relying too heavily on him to do the defensive work that he's not that great at. However, given CT's approach to this site, when he stumbles upon a half decent question, it'll understandably be disregarded by most as pure wummery. That he insists he sees nothing in Sammy Ameobi while lauding Ferguson is testament to this. Neither have done enough to be the answer to any question other than "Who is most likely to play on the wing for a Championship next season?"

I think similar approach we used against Hull would reap rewards.

Fair enough, but it could be that he was going back to restart the game because he wanted to grab the winner? ;)

Look, Hatem Ben Arfa is the most technically gifted footballer at the club and yes Pardew's responsibility is getting him to produce consistently or at least find a system that affords HBA the chance to perform the attacking side of his game without relying too heavily on him to do the defensive work that he's not that great at. However, given CT's approach to this site, when he stumbles upon a half decent question, it'll understandably be disregarded by most as pure wummery. That he insists he sees nothing in Sammy Ameobi while lauding Ferguson is testament to this. Neither have done enough to be the answer to any question other than "Who is most likely to play on the wing for a Championship next season?"

I think similar approach we used against Hull would reap rewards.

Talk about flip flopping. :lol:

One post my Hatem dilemma is "bollocks" and your next post it's a " half decent question".

Good work ;)

ben arfa is probably our best player but oh aye, the big question is whether to leave him out or not :lol:

I think the point he's making is we were magnificent AWAY at Cardiff without him, and should we use that ploy again? It's a fair enough question but I think he took one for the team on Saturday personally, and certainly was no worse than Cisse's been in an alien role to him.

I don't think the question of whether to drop him or not is mental, the inconsistency of his performances is worrying going into a game like this. But like Stevie mentioned I don't think he done any less than what Cisse has been doing, I'd keep him in the same role he was in as he was up against 3 good centre backs on Saturday whereas he'll be up against two cloggers come Sunday.

I'd start with the same formation and players against the mackems, as that way we keep Ben Arfa on but still have Gouffran and Remy grafting on the wings.

Talk about flip flopping. :lol:

One post my Hatem dilemma is "bollocks" and your next post it's a " half decent question".

Good work ;)

Hey, idiot boy, I said "When you stumble onto a half decent question" not that you had.

I think the point he's making is we were magnificent AWAY at Cardiff without him, and should we use that ploy again? It's a fair enough question but I think he took one for the team on Saturday personally, and certainly was no worse than Cisse's been in an alien role to him.

Aye, if Cisse was on form dropping HBA would be a much easier decision for him.

It must be so frustrating for Pardew (as it is for us), to see performances from him like the one against Villa and then for him to fall so flat.

Edited by Christmas Tree

Every player experiences a drop in form. With a player like Ben Arfa, it's worth having him in the side just for the moments of magic that can completely change a game.

The one thing you can say about Pards is that throughout his tenure, he's managed Ben Arfa very well where many other managers have fallen flat. He might be tactically naive all too often, but he knows how to get the best out of HBA.

The old adage - form is temporary, class is permanent applies.

He should unquestionably play against the mackems. Give him the chance to run at the Bardsleys and Cattermoles so they're on the back foot. Whether he's coming on when the game's calmed down a bit or starting from the off, it's important to stick with him as when he's in form he's one of the standout players in the league.

Every player experiences a drop in form. With a player like Ben Arfa, it's worth having him in the side just for the moments of magic that can completely change a game.

The one thing you can say about Pards is that throughout his tenure, he's managed Ben Arfa very well where many other managers have fallen flat. He might be tactically naive all too often, but he knows how to get the best out of HBA.

The old adage - form is temporary, class is permanent applies.

He should unquestionably play against the mackems. Give him the chance to run at the Bardsleys and Cattermoles so they're on the back foot. Whether he's coming on when the game's calmed down a bit or starting from the off, it's important to stick with him as when he's in form he's one of the standout players in the league.

without a doubt. i think only CT genuinely thinks it's an option. it's a no brainer - you play your best players.

Ben Arfa has to be ahead of Cisse. Cisse has done nothing all season and doesn't warrant starting the game over Ben Arfa, who has been hot and cold this season, whereas Cisse's been freezing caad, these past few months. Finally though it's good to be able to have to make this choice instead of being forced into it through injury and suspensions.