Papiss Demba Cisse

Barney

Imperative he's joining a club he wants to be joining and that's been the case for a while now with our signings iyam. Ba alongside him means theres hopefully an even better prospect of him finding a happy home here and being able to focus on his football rather than racehorses or helicopters to Cheshire.

100% agree, having players that want to play for the shirt and not picking up 100k a week for going through the motions.

Be awesome to tie up Colo and get a cb, maybe shift Smith and Shola out too

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By Anthony Marshall - Newcastle United Club Reporter

Newcastle United have completed the signing of striker Papiss Cissé from SC Freiburg on a five-and-a-half-year contract.

The Senegal international has signed for an undisclosed fee and will wear the iconic number nine shirt at the Sports Direct Arena.

Cissé, aged 26, is currently on duty with his national side ahead of their imminent Africa Cup of Nations campaign, but flew to Tyneside on Tuesday to put pen to paper on the deal.

The forward began his career with AS Douanes, in Dakar, and went on to have prolific spells at French clubs Metz, Cherbourg and Chateauroux.

In December 2009, he switched to German outfit SC Freiburg, where he struck 37 goals in just 65 appearances.

Cissé scored for Senegal in their final Africa Cup of Nations warm-up match on Sunday - a 1-0 win over Kenya - and that was his ninth goal from 13 internationals caps.

"I would like to thank everybody for their welcome, and for inviting me to sign for the Club," said Cissé.

"It is an honour to play for such a big club and I am looking forward to it.

"I want to pay back the confidence the Club have shown in me, and give the supporters something to be proud of.

"I am aware of the huge importance of the number nine shirt, and when I spoke with the manager he made it very clear how important this shirt is.

"I will treat it with the respect and I hope to do my very best in this shirt."

Managing Director Derek Llambias added: "We are very pleased to bring Papiss to the Club.

"It is a signing which perfectly complements the type of side Alan is building, and we are sure he will prove to be an excellent acquisition going forward.

"He has travelled a long way to come and sign with us today, and we thank the Senegalese Football Federation for their assistance in helping us secure the player."

Newcastle United manager Alan Pardew said: "Ever since Andy Carroll left, Papiss was my first choice in the specific role he has at the end of the play.

"He is a finisher with an already-established CV in the Bundesliga, where we have monitored him for the best part of two years.

"Unfortunately he was out of reach, financially, for us in the summer, but it recently became apparent that Derek Llambias and Lee Charnley could do the deal in this window.

"It has become obvious this season that the team and the Club have done exceptionally well, and Mike Ashley has backed me to bring this player to the Club.

"I would like to thank Mike, Derek and everyone involved for getting this deal over the line.

"I spoke to Demba about Papiss, and he cannot wait to join up with his teammate in Newcastle.

"In the short-term, of course, he is at the Africa Cup of Nations, but the competition he will bring to our squad when he joins up with us should inspire the players and reassure them of this Club's ambition.

"Our fans know that this shirt brings its own pressures. One of the iconic numbers in world football - the number nine of Newcastle.

"It will be only fair that Papiss is given time to understand the responsibility it brings.

"As the manager, I wish him all the luck in the world to bring success to himself and this Club."

Stay logged on to nufc.co.uk throughout the night for nufcTV interviews with Papiss Cissé and United boss Alan Pardew, and a photo gallery of the new number nine's big day

-------------------Krul

Simpson---Taylor--Colo--Santon

------------Tiote---Cabaye

HBA----------------------------Jonas

------------Demba--Demba

Can't see Pardew playing HBA in a team with 2 Dembas up front, unless he opts for a 4-3-3 which seems unlikely. Our biggest weakness is our wingers now, we don't have much in terms of quality service from the wings. The spine of that team is solid top-6 material.

-------------------Krul

Simpson---Taylor--Colo--Santon

------------Tiote---Cabaye

HBA----------------------------Jonas

------------Demba--Demba

Can't see Pardew playing HBA in a team with 2 Dembas up front, unless he opts for a 4-3-3 which seems unlikely. Our biggest weakness is our wingers now, we don't have much in terms of quality service from the wings. The spine of that team is solid top-6 material.

thing is, if that was played more like the system we used after Cabaye went off against QPR it would work superbly, Jonas using that stamina and workrate to move side to side as he was doing with ben arfa floating around the strikers and Tiote and Cabaye acting as the starters of moves

could be so nice...

Where's this £10 mil came from? I thought we spent all the Carroll money on the training ground.

Sold some cones on eBay

:lol: I was once told the sign of a good coach is the amount of cones they use.

Where's this £10 mil came from? I thought we spent all the Carroll money on the training ground.

Sold some cones on eBay

:lol: I was once told the sign of a good coach is the amount of cones they use.

its what made Terry Mac so valuable

Marveaux will be back in a couple of months, and Santon is progressing very quickly and becoming a real attacking threat. Which can only help Jonas.

Pardew really giving the impression that Ben Arfa will start more often going by his comments, so either RW or in attacking 3.

Good times.

So how will he complement our strikeforce/team? What are his main attributes (in comparison to Ba as well)?

I know little about him other than his excellent stats.

Guess he'll play in front of Ba and be less involved in the play. In the past Pardew has said that he doesn't see Ba as an out-and-out striker, that's where Cissé comes in.

Marveaux will be back in a couple of months, and Santon is progressing very quickly and becoming a real attacking threat. Which can only help Jonas.

Pardew really giving the impression that Ben Arfa will start more often going by his comments, so either RW or in attacking 3.

Good times.

Don't think that will happen simply because Pardew's starting point every game (pretty much irrespective of opposition) is to make sure we don't lose a game before it's started, so the focus is always on defence, not losing possession and pressing the opponent. 4-3-3 has to be an option though in certain games as they progress, just because the sheer workrate of Cabaye, Tiote and Jonas should justify playing Ben Arfa more advanced, picking the lock for the front two.

Hopefully this signing will result in our current available forwards stepping it up a notch to try to improve their position in the pecking order.

Some care from Shola would be nice. Lovelyhands will be possibly be a little upset, though I think his contract is up at the end of the season anyway. I don't care how poor Best appears to be, as long as he can keep scoring at a decent rate until the incumbents return.

I'll admit to being quite surprised at how well things have worked out in terms of the playing roster that has been assembled here, likely on lower wages, with a younger average age.

Cisse absolutely relishes through balls, and HBA is the master of the disguised-through-the-keyhole-up-yer-jacksie through ball. With a triangle like this:

----------------HBA

-------------------------------Demba

--New Demba

the football on display would be pure sex--it's a good job MOTD is post-watershed.

Potentially Prior to come yet too.

£10 million shelled out because this is a push for Europe and the recoupment of that outlay.

Fucking chuffed either way. People that have seen him play reckon it's possible a 4-3-3 would suit, with Ba and HBA playing slightly wider with Cisse through the middle.

Don't want to jinx us like but our fully fit attacking options are fucking mint.

Great stuff. We probably are going to have to sign a striker that isn't African at some point to prevent us getting fucked at this time of year all the time.

Love how the mackem's thread on this is longer than ours. I know there's a few of our lads contributing to it, but fucking hell. :lol:

Great stuff. We probably are going to have to sign a striker that isn't African at some point to prevent us getting fucked at this time of year all the time.

Love how the mackem's thread on this is longer than ours. I know there's a few of our lads contributing to it, but fucking hell. :lol:

you say it like theyve got just one!

Really really can't wait until we have everyone back fit and playing again now. When Cabaye went off against QPR we just looked so much more fluid with HBA on. The only thing really stopping us putting a load past QPR was the lack of a decent strikeforce and no one making the runs to relieve the midfield of their possession. The thing with this new signing, as well as having Demba #1 back, is that we have a team of real threat going forward. There is the option of the through balls to the Dembas, crosses coming in for Ba, HBA rustling up something special, Cabaye threatening with his long shots, and so much more.

We've seen a few times this season that we will start a game well but then just run out of ideas. That really shouldn't be happening any more.