Papiss Demba Cisse

Barney

So all the goals he scored in Germany were lucky too?....maybe he had service there, am not sure...where would have been without 2 or 3 of his goals last season? playing Bournemouth and Millwall I'd reckon..short memories some of you. He scored at the very end v Fulham and Stoke, still making his runs, still thinking that the next one might be the one. Yes he's also missed some sitters, what strikr doesnt?...its all the more noticable in a poor side, thats why he gets stick. Not completly warrented iyam. The midfield should stop taking ridiculously long pot shots and try to play him in more.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So all the goals he scored in Germany were lucky too?....maybe he had service there, am not sure...where would have been without 2 or 3 of his goals last season? playing Bournemouth and Millwall I'd reckon..short memories some of you. He scored at the very end v Fulham and Stoke, still making his runs, still thinking that the next one might be the one. Yes he's also missed some sitters, what strikr doesnt?...its all the more noticable in a poor side, thats why he gets stick. Not completly warrented iyam. The midfield should stop taking ridiculously long pot shots and try to play him in more.

He scored some very important goals last season, but that doesn't make him a good player. For me, he doesn't make great decisions, he doesn't make great goal scoring runs. Negrado's run last was a goal scorers run, Cisse doesn't make those. As you allude to, we don't get high enough up the pitch to provide better service, so he does tend to feed on scraps.

He also scored 8 goals last season incorrectly ruled offside. That could screw with your head.

Good point, add that lot in and he has a reasonable tally

KCG mentions the number eight. What about the other one hundred and fourty-seven times he has halted a perfectly good attack because he has drifted? I think he needs to not even make the substitution's bench for awhile. As mentioned elsewhere it is like we are playing the match 10 vs. 11 when he is on the pitch.

It is a problem part of his game, just watch him closely, he's standing in an offside position a lot shouting for the ball and then doesn't get it. I'm not personally criticising the lad, I said earlier in the thread I don't believe he's shite and I don't believe that season of goals was a fluke. However, I think he's been sussed a little so will have to adapt. A good coaching staff would recognise the offside problem and help him work on it. Inzaghi spent his career offside but still managed to be a decent goalscorer.

The problem isn't so much how often he is caught offside but how ridiculous they often are. As others have said he doesn't seem to have a clue about the rule and it's not gambling on beating the last man but running passed the defenders like a moron as soon as we look like getting forward.

He's spent years of his career playing off the last man, receiving early passes and beating the offside trap by small margins.

Standing offside is a deliberate ploy, it's a mind game with the defender who doesn't know whether to drop deep or hold his line. All it takes is Cisse to make the move back onside and turn, and he's got the edge.

There are two main problems though. One is that we don't appear to be playing to his strengths, meaning he ends up making run after run in vain, and the other is that he isn't having much luck when it comes to sticking the ball away. It's a cliche, but it's true - it's all about confidence. He needs a one on one, and a confident finish into the bottom corner. That would sort him out I reckon.

He's spent years of his career playing off the last man, receiving early passes and beating the offside trap by small margins.

Standing offside is a deliberate ploy, it's a mind game with the defender who doesn't know whether to drop deep or hold his line. All it takes is Cisse to make the move back onside and turn, and he's got the edge.

There are two main problems though. One is that we don't appear to be playing to his strengths, meaning he ends up making run after run in vain, and the other is that he isn't having much luck when it comes to sticking the ball away. It's a cliche, but it's true - it's all about confidence. He needs a one on one, and a confident finish into the bottom corner. That would sort him out I reckon.

That's about how I see things with Cisse.

Giving him a little too much credit in regards to offside I'm afraid. He often doesn't come back onside. Generally you excercise a plot like that when your team has possession but not near enough that they can pass the ball. It does put the defender in two minds as they'll instinctively want to be goal side.

Giving him a little too much credit in regards to offside I'm afraid. He often doesn't come back onside. Generally you excercise a plot like that when your team has possession but not near enough that they can pass the ball. It does put the defender in two minds as they'll instinctively want to be goal side.

Yep, he doesn't often get caught standing offside, he gets caught because he has gone far too early. No mind games there.

Exactly. I posted something similar a few months back.

Aye, far too much credit being giving here about 'mind games.' It really isn't, just watch him man, he's just far too much of a ball watcher.

He's just not very adept at staying offside. It's just one of those parts of his game that he needs to work on. If he does, I think it could really push his game on.

He's already our joint highest earner so there's no way we would offer a payrise, especially after a relatively poor goal return.

I was playing devils advocate a bit with my earlier comments as I think sometimes it can get a bit overly negative. He is clearly out of sorts though. Flowing passing moves seem to break up when he takes a touch akin to bringing two positive ends of a magnet together.

I really want him to rediscover his initial form as he was class to watch.