Jonas Gutierrez

Christmas Tree

Pardew also confirmed midfielder Jonas Gutierrez faces a spell on the sidelines with a knee injury after missing the Boxing Day game.

"He will be missing the next two or three games," he said. "Gutierrez will have an injection in his knee tomorrow. It is not clearing up and he is not 100%."

• 4 weeks later...

Might not be guaranteed to start every game anymore after influx of new players but still an important player.

You don't build a squad by getting rid of senior players every time you sign done new ones. I'm hoping Ashley has learned that now.

Nobody really should be guaranteed or relied on to start. Santon and Jonas were expected to maintain form and fitness for an entire season as there were no back-ups. Jonas went through a really poor patch. He can now compete for LW and left of 3 in midfield. The way it should be. Santon has a new signing looking to take his place who has played regular football. Santon could also feasibly be competition for Debuchy if his form dips off.

Much healthier.

Edited by Barney

Jonas and Gouffran kept their wing backs pegged in their own half for the first 45. They both faded in the second, but there's a hell of a lot more to his game than that.

His cross led to the goal from Cabaye for instance. Not a particularly brilliant cross, but it made an impact.

He's been getting a lot of stick but its easy to overlook all of the clearances he made throughout the game. Loses the ball too much though as well.

He's been getting a lot of stick but its easy to overlook all of the clearances he made throughout the game. Loses the ball too much though as well.

This.

Jonas used to be an outlet, in fact Jonas was our best outlet.

Give him the ball in a tight space and he'd either beat a man or hold up the ball or win a (usually dubious) free kick.

At this point in time we're not able to rely on him for this.

He's bereft of confidence as the two hideous miscontrols in the second half demonstrated.

With Gutierrez in the team

P20 W6 D 6 late*

Without

P4 W0 D0 L4

CT was banging this drum for ages until he missed a few games and we got even worse. No surprise he's starting to bang that drum again because Jonas had a few disappointing touches in the second half.

*one of those losses was to West Ham when he only managed 25 minutes, and we weren't losing when he went off.

With Gutierrez in the team

P20 W6 D 6 late*

Without

P4 W0 D0 L4

CT was banging this drum for ages until he missed a few games and we got even worse. No surprise he's starting to bang that drum again because Jonas had a few disappointing touches in the second half.

*one of those losses was to West Ham when he only managed 25 minutes, and we weren't losing when he went off.

To be fair, I think you said in the match thread he should be hauled off.

He offers nothing to the team at the moment. The amount of times he was overlapped yesterday and didnt help Santon was crinimal - if you're saying he is in the team to give us defensive cover/workrate.

And where has his powerful trademark runs gone? You could guarantee a couple of excellent runs down the wing which brought a foul in the opposition and this relieved a bit of pressure.

I did.

To be fair, that's not saying he's finished.

True. You can throw facts around but he has been playing absolutely dreadful this season. If you'd never seen him play before you'd think he was 4th tier player. Thats not to say he is finished of course. Most players have a dreadful patch.

Edited by Holden McGroin

So the excuse before was the 'he is knackered' which I though was bollocks at the time. He has had his 'break' and is worse then before. What excuse are we giving him this time then if he isn't finished?

I dont dislike Jonas, he comes across as a decent bloke but good things come to an end and he is finished in this league IMHO. Why Pardew persists with a player so clearly poor on match day is baffling.

So the excuse before was the 'he is knackered' which I though was bollocks at the time. He has had his 'break' and is worse then before. What excuse are we giving him this time then if he isn't finished?

I dont dislike Jonas, he comes across as a decent bloke but good things come to an end and he is finished in this league IMHO. Why Pardew persists with a player so clearly poor on match day is baffling.

Setting aside that I don't agree with your assement of him, who would you have played instead of him last night (or in the last couple of games for that matter)? Maveaux was injured, Obertan should never be allowed anywhere near a shirt, Sammy is a headless chicken and Fergusson is short of quality.