Jonas Gutierrez

Christmas Tree

Setting aside that I don't agree with your assement of him, who would you have played instead of him last night (or in the last couple of games for that matter)? Maveaux was injured, Obertan should never be allowed anywhere near a shirt, Sammy is a headless chicken and Fergusson is short of quality.

Well, I disagree of your assessment of Obertan and think he gets a hard deal from fans. Ok, he has his flaws, but in comparison to Jonas, he is the better player and offers a lot more going forward. On current form of both players, I fail to see how Jonas is considered the better option.

Edited by DubiousBobcat

Pardew seemed to be talking to him the most a the end when he came on the pitch to congratulate the players. He's clearly one of his favourites, vice captain and all that.

He had a really tough match, surprised he stayed on the pitch. I thought he'd either be subbed or sent off after he had that barny. Then that little villa mite shoving him in the back straight after. He did well to keep his cool. Didn't have the best of games really, was slow to the ball and sloppy with his touch i thought. That said, we know what he can bring to the team on his day. Hopefully Pardew will pull him through this lull.

Wasn't the fee undisclosed? During his tenure here he has contributed to a promotion and a 5th place finish. His inconsistencies are apparent to anyone who has watched us over the past few years, granted. However, I'm not using the term 'on his day' to describe 30-yard goals against Wolves. I'm using it to describe a player who understands his limitations and position in the squad, and can work to his strengths 'on his day'. For instance, his protection of Santon as he has bedded in in the past year and a half. He was signed as a flair player of sorts, for attack minded football. However, he has changed his gameplay to adapt to the fact that he is limited in that Ginola-role that Keegan appeared to have intended for him. I do think that he has had games this season where he has been absent, and has lacked that well worn and cliched 'engine' that pundits often attribute to him. He is no longer a guaranteed starter (had Marveaux been fit, there'd have been no question in my mind who to go with, considering who we were playing... for the first half at least), but I would have him over the likes of Obertan starting any day of the week. I'm not making excuses for him, just highlighting that he offers more to the balance of the team, when you average out good and bad form, than Obertan, Sammy Ameobi, Ferguson.

Well, I disagree of your assessment of Obertan and think he gets a hard deal from fans. Ok, he has his flaws, but in comparison to Jonas, he is the better player and offers a lot more going forward. On current form of both players, I fail to see how Jonas is considered the better option.

I'm totally amazed to see anyone defend Obertan after quite frankly disgraceful displays he put in against Brighton and Norwich. He was an embarrassment in both of those games and lets face it, they're far from the only bad games he's had. In his time here he's managed a couple of half acceptable performances in nearly two years. I've never seen another player at this club who's had less heart than he has (and that includes Owen). To suggest that he's a better player than Jonas is lunacy.

If Marveaux is fit for Saturday I would play him ahead of Jonas no problem but if we cancelled Squidwards contract tomorrow I'd be more than happy.

I'm totally amazed to see anyone defend Obertan after quite frankly disgraceful displays he put in against Brighton and Norwich. He was an embarrassment in both of those games and lets face it, they're far from the only bad games he's had. In his time here he's managed a couple of half acceptable performances in nearly two years. I've never seen another player at this club who's had less heart than he has (and that includes Owen). To suggest that he's a better player than Jonas is lunacy.

If Marveaux is fit for Saturday I would play him ahead of Jonas no problem but if we cancelled Squidwards contract tomorrow I'd be more than happy.

Well, on current form I think it's lunacy to think Jonas is a better option then Obertan, so we are equal on that. One thing we do agree on is that when Marveaux is fit, he has to number 1 choice.

It's always been accepted Jonas is limited. His endeavour makes him the first choice he is. I can't imagine Marveaux showing the heart for the fight in that second half last night. Can't imagine it against Chelsea either.

He's out for a couple of weeks apparently. We could well see Ben Arfa back before then in which case I would expect to be playing him and Goufran.

That's is more like it. I'm literally dribbling at the mouth in anticipation....

It's always been accepted Jonas is limited. His endeavour makes him the first choice he is. I can't imagine Marveaux showing the heart for the fight in that second half last night. Can't imagine it against Chelsea either.

Maybe if Marveaux had played, the game would be beyond them in the second half.

Maybe if Marveaux had played, the game would be beyond them in the second half.

Similarly if Marveaux had started maybe we go in at halftime 1-0 and concede a couple in the 2nd half?

Personally I like Jonas, but the performances have (in my opinion) dropped. There were games where, while he wouldn't get assists necessarily, he contributed a lot more to the team. Against Villa I felt his normally decent touch wasn't there, for whatever reason.

As to the question of who to play in that harrying, water-carrier role I'd go for Anita.

We should use the defensive "winger" Jonas as a sub only to secure victory in games we lead 2-0 or more from now on. Hell, he did contribute fuck all the first half, got himself booked because he couldn't shut his yappin the second, but went into a defensive stance with passion when the guys supposed to keep our possession were all boogered...

Similarly if Marveaux had started maybe we go in at halftime 1-0 and concede a couple in the 2nd half?

We didn't really have any use for Jonas the first half, so I can't really see how chances to get goals would reduce had Marveaux been on the pitch. However putting Jonas in to defend later in the game would probably provide useful.

We should use the defensive "winger" Jonas as a sub only to secure victory in games we lead 2-0 or more from now on. Hell, he did contribute fuck all the first half, got himself booked because he couldn't shut his yappin the second, but went into a defensive stance with passion when the guys supposed to keep our possession were all boogered...

Except the cross that lead to the ball dropping to Cabaye for his goal?

And the untold blocks in the 2nd half.

Marveaux has the heart of a pea and an even worse work rate, Obertan has an even smaller heart and no football brain.

Btw Jonas is not playing well but to suggest replacing him with either of the two players above is lunacy. The balance has to be right between creativity, Cabaye/Sissoko and those willing to carry the water.

It's not about a team full of Jonas v a team full of Marveauxs, it's about getting the balance.

We didn't really have any use for Jonas the first half, so I can't really see how chances to get goals would reduce had Marveaux been on the pitch. However putting Jonas in to defend later in the game would probably provide useful.

His cross did lead to Cabaye's thunderbastard mind.

Sammy's right btw, it's about striking a balance.

His strengths were running 50 yards and winning free kicks,and running 50 yards to help out the left back.He doesn't/cannot do this now.I could do what he does now,which is NOWT.Obertans also does nowt,so i could do his job.Hopefully we now have players to fill their positions.Pardew needs to get rid of the dross in the summer,if they don't go now.Ferguson,the Ameobi brothers,Simpson,Williamson,Santon ( i want a defender to be able to defend ) all need to go the journey along with Spiderman and Obertan.

His cross did lead to Cabaye's thunderbastard mind.

Sammy's right btw, it's about striking a balance.

It's like saying Krul's goal kick lead to it because he was in that chain of passes before it became a goal. The cross wasn't sweet (still one his better ones, probably because he was on the right side of the pitch), he was lucky the defender had a bad clearance and Cabaye was at the end of it.

Edited by Aeris

It's like saying Krul's goal kick lead to it because he was in that chain of passes before it became a goal. The cross wasn't sweet (still one his better ones, probably because he was on the right side of the pitch), he was lucky the defender had a bad clearance and Cabaye was at the end of it.

:rolleyes:

You are useless

His cross found a Villa defender.My only defence for him is that he plays down the left and that is his weaker ( useless ) side when he has to deliver a ball into the middle.I cannot understand why Pardew has never picked him to play wide right.

hatem-ben-arfa_61629_w250.jpg

and your brain's like a fish.

Shouldn't you be crying into your chocolate cake, while writing in a diary about your back fat and bingo wings?