Jonas Gutierrez

Christmas Tree

Martin O'Neil played 3 at the back at Leicester and Norwich, he was one of the biggest proponents of the system among top flight managers in this country but he hasnt used it for over a decade. Sir Alex Ferguson has never used it as far as I casn remember, and Sir Bobby only rarely, even when it was in vogue. Defending teams get mullered out wide, its easy to get the better of teams using it.

But a he-she from Scandinavia thinks we should use it......lack of daylight in the winter months iyam ;)

You end up being over-run in midfield, meaning one of your centre backs ends up stepping out to support. In which case you might as well play a midfielder there and be done with it.

Venables liked it for that reason...if youve got someone playing in the hole the spare man of the 3 could pick him up. KK played Southgate in there v Germany at Wembley in 2000. Think it was only a qualified success mind. He resigned in the showers at the end of the match. :(

edit: if memory serves correct, Southgate was subbed at half time...

Edited by PaddockLad

Martin O'Neil played 3 at the back at Leicester and Norwich, he was one of the biggest proponents of the system among top flight managers in this country but he hasnt used it for over a decade. Sir Alex Ferguson has never used it as far as I casn remember, and Sir Bobby only rarely, even when it was in vogue. Defending teams get mullered out wide, its easy to get the better of teams using it.

But a he-she from Scandinavia thinks we should use it......lack of daylight in the winter months iyam ;)

I see weaknesses when up against Chelsea that's all, just like any other top team (except Tottenham) we couldn't beat this season. We played Chelsea 442 with a full strength team at Stamford earlier this season, we didn't stand a chance....something needs to be done!

I see weaknesses when up against Chelsea that's all, just like any other top team (except Tottenham) we couldn't beat this season. We played Chelsea 442 with a full strength team at Stamford earlier this season, we didn't stand a chance....something needs to be done!

we've got a chance of getting something against them at home if we play a system the players are used to. they've been dropping a lot of points to ordinary sides recently,

I used to think Beresford was an average left back,with reference to defending, but he was a damn site better at defending than Santon,Taylor,Ferguson and Enrique. I want a full back who can defend.If he isn't much good at attacking then that's fine by me.I can wait a season or two for the new Maldini to sign.

Agreed.

Villa got smashed in the first half against us and they went 5-3-2 and got overrun everywhere. Watch that first half again and tell me the positives of going 5-3-2, there are none.

It's a good defensive fortress when you have good experienced defenders like ours, the only experienced defender Villa had was Vlaar and he's no Colo or Mbiwa. Atm I find our centrebacks and fullbacks very fruitful (good attacking skills from both Debuchy and Santon), instead of using Jonas and...Obertan?, so I'd go for 532/5311 with more of a counterattack mentality against Chelsea, even if they've been in a terrible form lately (but so have we).

Edited by Aeris

Glad to see Jonas get a goal. He has been loyal to the club and is never in the press for the wrong reasons. He works hard and is always committed. Its what has earned the trust Pardew places in him. Hope yesterday's performance keeps the wolves away from his door for awhile.

9 out of hes 10 crosses didn't get passed the first defender. Not acceptable at this level. Cracker header though but i still would give him 4 out of 10 for the match agaisnt Chelsea

One of the cabbie's aliases?

As said previously, some of you wouldn't know a footballer if they gave you a reach around.

The sooner the team realises whipping in crosses is a waste of time for the forwards we have, the better.

The importance of someone who can properly cross the ball cannot be undermined, no matter what kind of forwards you have. A great many goals invariably result from crosses or the resulting havoc from a good ball into the box.

Jonas was lacking on that account again yesterday. That was never his strength though, we are going to have to rely on Santon, HBA and hopefully Debuchy/Gouffran to get the dangerous balls in.

Delighted about Jonas' goal and the show of support from the lads for him. Taken a lot of stick for the team this guy has. :jonas:

Great all round performance from him. just lacks the final ball, but more than makes up for it with his protection. Got man of the match from the missus. good man to have for these big games.