Jonas Gutierrez

Christmas Tree

I wanted to share nufc.com's view, but reading the article (original) , looking at the dates and translation errors aside, it only points to one thing. It's possible Pardew thought he was doing him a favour by giving him footie at Norwich where he wouldn't need to run a marathon (because hes being played like a normal left winger).. I just don't believe it, its such a heartless thing to do, but I reckon they did it... twats

Edited by scoobos

Best wishes to Jonas and Toonotl both.

I don't buy the reported story. Even when they do things which piss us off, I don't think it's done maliciously, just indifferently.

Actual Jonas Gutierrez Interview on Argentinian TV - Fully Translated

There are lots and lots of very worrying quotes coming out on the web and now in the national press about poor Jonas Gutierrez cancer battle and how he 'said' the club told him to leave.

First of all I wish Jonas a quick and full recovery from this disease. As regards to the translated quotes, the record needs to be set straight for all concerned. The interview released by TyC Sports is on the below link and having an Argentinian girlfriend, I got her on the case to translate every word.

Surprisingly Jonas does not even mention Newcastle or Pardew's name once. These quotes that are circling in the national press are certainly not apart of the official interview released so I am very skeptical to say the least. Whether he said something off camera that has been blown out of proportion is probably the most likely turn of events in this case. My girlfriend assures me the Argentinean press love a 'story' whether true or not. If he did say something about the club telling him to leave, then TyC Sports would certainly keep it within the below recorded interview. Why wouldn't they?

Jonas Gutierrez - TyC Sports

We should not lose sight of the fact that the most important thing is that Jonas makes a full recovery from his cancer battle and I am devastated, as is the missus @FlorCamin (she loves Jonas), however I cant just sit back and watch Newcastle Utd name be dragged through the mud with something as serious as this. This isn't some footballing drama, this is serious and much more important than football. Jonas left our club for a season last year due to the club not wanting to activate a contract extension clause, we all know that. I have no reason to believe any thing else on why he hasn't played for us since.

Until I hear/see/read an actual quote from Jonas saying what the press have jumped all over I blatantly refuse to believe it. The interview released shows Jonas going into how he has cancer, how losing his hair is tough, who he first told (Gabriel Heinze ex Man Utd, Ezequiel Lavezzi & Captain Colo - obviously) and when asked about whether he will have any kids in the future he makes a joke about only having one testicle and having faith in it. The interview is in good spirits and is really nice to see Jonas being positive and making jokes. Like I said, NUFC never mentioned.

I wish Jonas a speedy recovery and hope he puts the record well and truly straight on this by clarifying the situation regarding him 'leaving' the club to join Norwich on loan last season. From a footballing point of view he left due to Newcastle not wanting to activate a clause in his contract which would trigger an automatic 2 year extension if he were to play one more game. This as far as I am concerned is true and having cancer, as horrendous as it is, would not change matters unfortunately. Whether you agree with this or not is another matter.

Football aside, get better Jonas. You have most likely kicked your last ball for Newcastle and I hope you have a good life and are welcome back as a half time hero any day. As for a baby Jonas, we all have faith in your remaining testicle!

#GetWellSoonJonas

Follow me on Twitter @ToonBano

As someone who currently has Testicular Cancer I wish Jonas all the best. Its a very treatable cancer and I hope they have caught it early. The club's treatment of him in this situation is horrible. What a bunch of arseholes.

Best wishes dude :good:

Best of luck to both Jonas and toonotl.

Hopefully this just explains why Jonas has been away from the club and very little has been made of his absence. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they have just told him to fuck off and deal with it himself. I have no respect at all for anyone in the clubs hirachy now so nothing like would come as a shock any more.

That said I really hope it's not the case and something has just been misinterpreted.

For once I don't think the club have actually acted like cathwords. It wouldn't surprise me though.

Sending him out on loan when he was diagnosed but still fit to play but not in the first team plans is ok. His treatment obviously only really started after his spell with Norwich as he had all his trademark hair back then. Giving him time for treatment at home in Argentine and respecting his privacy by just refusing to give any details about his whereabouts and therefore allowing rumours too grow is actually sensible and decent. Well, that's my interpretation of the timeline of events anyway.

For once I don't think the club have actually acted like cathwords. It wouldn't surprise me though.

Sending him out on loan when he was diagnosed but still fit to play but not in the first team plans is ok. His treatment obviously only really started after his spell with Norwich as he had all his trademark hair back then. Giving him time for treatment at home in Argentine and respecting his privacy by just refusing to give any details about his whereabouts and therefore allowing rumours too grow is actually sensible and decent. Well, that's my interpretation of the timeline of events anyway.

.com are suggesting that the club have actually allowed him to home to Argentina for his treatment and (hopefull) recovery while still honouring his contract. I'm not sure where they get this from but I hope it's true and fair play to them if that is the case.

All the best to both Jonas and toonotl.

As much as I hate the people running the club at the minute, the story floating around simply cannot be true. They're incompetent dickheads, not sociopaths.

Agreed on all counts.

Interviewer: Arsenal v Newcastle - what happened?

Jonas Gutierrez: I had a very hard collision with Sagna in the area of the pubic bone and the genitals. From then I had a lot of pain that wouldn’t go away. It was the last game of the season. I spoke with the doctor straight after [the game] and he said: ‘If it doesn’t hurt then don’t worry I don’t think it is anything [to worry about].

Then it was holiday time and I felt the pain more in the testicle. We started the pre-season, the season started and in September, October. I noticed that the testicle started to become inflamed. I felt a pain when I put my underpants on; it was uncomfortable. I went back to the doctor and they told me to have an ultrasound scan and they detected a tumour and told me I needed an operation. I couldn’t understand why they were using the word tumour and not cancer so I asked them: ‘Is it cancer?’ and they confirmed that it was.

I left the clinic crying and went home and told my dad who was there. I spoke to the club and said because of the delicate nature of the problem and because in Argentina I was going to understand everything being told to me better, I wanted to be treated in Argentina.

Interviewer: You came to Argentina, they took out the left testicle and they told you ‘ciao cancer’.

JG: In October they operated and took out the seminoma (tumour); I had to rest and they reassured me that it had not spread and that I didn’t need any more treatment at the moment; I just had to recover from the operation.

Interviewer: You go back to England, to Newcastle, and what did they tell you there?

JG: I was training by the end of November, the team was in a good moment [of form] and in the middle of December the coach told me that the best option was that I looked for a [new] club.

Interviewer: Did that surprise you?

JG: Yes, obviously because I had always been playing, for five years, always playing, and to then go to the situation where they wanted to loan me out…

Interviewer: You go to Norwich...

JG: Chris was there who had been my coach at Newcastle and I started playing. I played two games but I injured my calf and missed seven matches.

I was coming back, being named on the bench and coming on as a substitute but the coach changed. And I did not enter in the new manager’s plans. There was a month left [until the end of the season] but I never played a single minute.

Interviewer: And you still had a contract with Newcastle. All the costs of the treatment you paid yourself?

JG: Yes, I came here, they treated me and I took on the costs but the money is not the important thing. The most important thing is [good] health.

Interviewer: Then you went on holiday to Las Vegas with your friends.

JG: The last day [of the season] we went to Las Vegas and when I came back I had to go for my five-month check-up and they detected inflammation of the ganglions in that area for which the treatment was a course of chemotherapy.

Interviewer: How long for?

JG: I have one more session to go. And then I will need two more months to recuperate. The most difficult part – the Chemo – is about to finish.

Interviewer: what support did you receive?

JG: No one really knew about it at first. Gradually you start telling people. Some people saw me without hair and if they were not close friends or family I would say I had done it for a promise. What are you going to tell them without telling them everything?

There were people who found out, I don’t know how, for example ‘El Gringo’ [Gabriel] Heinze, and he called me and we were talking for a long time and he told me to keep on fighting. And he’s a tough guy with a lot of strength and that gave me strength him telling me that I would overcome it.

And after the operation I spoke to ‘El Pocho’ [Ezequiel Lavezzi] and Martin Demichelis and don’t even talk to me about ‘El Colo’!

Interviewer: [Fabricio] Coloccini?

JG: Yes. We had been together six years there [at Newcastle] and he spoke to me and he visited me and he worried about me. I love him like one of my family.

Interviewer: They were big games for you in the South Africa World Cup. Diego Maradona said you were ‘in his heart’ that you were the third name on his teamsheet. But this is the match of your life.

JG: Sometimes you think about things and then when a problem, like the one I have to go through at the moment, comes along it makes you realise that all the other problems are insignificant.

Obviously this is the most difficult game I have had to play but like all games it will have an end to it and the end is closer now.

Interviewer: And your parents want to be grandparents at some point! They have taken out a testicle. Do you have to freeze sperm from the other testicle for the future or is it something that you feel is too far off and you don’t even want to think about it?

JG: When you have this problem they send you to the sperm bank and you leave various samples of sperm in case the other testicle (starts laughing) in case the other one doesn’t work. But I have every confidence that the other one will work. We have full confidence for the moment.

Interviewer: So the left one has gone now Jonas Gutierrez has to play on the right!

JG: Yes, everything down the right but I still believe! And if not, we will have to go looking [for the samples left] in the bank!

Interviewer: Why tell your story now?

JG: It’s something very personal but the other day I received an email about an actress who is going through something very similar and she was showing photographs of when she had hair and when she lost her hair and what she was going through and I think there is nothing bad in telling your story; it can even help people and encourage them to fight.

It removes some of the pressure talking about it and I also think it can help a lot of people who are passing through a similar situation to be strong and to fight and to see that these are situations that you can overcome and emerge stronger from.

Not a lot of room for anything being lost in translation in those quotes. Still dont want to believe it but it seems likely our fears about the way the club may have acted here is true. I said before I wouldnt be surprised, but it wasnt true, its shocking. Especially with everything's thats gone around the club lately.

Anyway, I suppose it would be a shame to pollute this thread with discussion about the things that run this club.

Jonas is a strong character. Really really hopeful he'll beat this. :pray:

Hoping for the best for both toonotl and Jonas.

I'd love to see him back at the club for the farewell he deserves. If he was 100% fit and in the side despite Pardew I don't think we'd have crumbled to as many large defeats. Certainly if all our players embodied the same attitude we wouldn't. I'd also like to see Jonas come back too.

I'm in bemusement about this and how the club have handled it. I have had this exact surgery and chemo, 2 years ago to this very day in fact I had the surgery. There is no way you can have the surgery in October and be back playing a reserve match in December and be fully fit with 100% mobility. Its an incredibly sore procedure and it takes many months for the cut muscles to heal (assuming he had a radical removal and not the simple procedure). Then how did he ever pass a medical at Norwich? It just doesn't make sense. 2 years on and I'm still sore down there (ok, mainly around the scar area) but the muscles took over 6 months to a year feel normal.

I wish him all the best. The chemo for testicular cancer is very intensive and I know how he feels. Stay strong fella.

I'm not really sure what the club have done wrong with this like. You could say that they could have paid for his treatment but he is (I assmume being a premiership footballer) a weathly bloke so I don't really think it's out of order to for him to have paid. It doesn't sound like they have put him under any pressure to come back when he wasn't ready and they've just decided he wasn't a necessary member of the team. Throughout it all they respected his privicy.

I'm all for having a go at our current regime but I can't really see a problem with what's went on here.