Jonas Gutierrez

Christmas Tree

There's two teams in a football match tbh.

I wish, might have done us some good to have a 'team' out yesterday.

The way we sat back and tried to hang on from the off in the second half at WBA is what got to people.

If you're going to sit back and invite pressure soon enough the opposition will peg you there :lol:

I know what you mean, there just cant be any denying though that absolute rubbish and negative tactics have cost us this season. Negativity that was not always needed under the circumstances. Negativity that we've attributed to our injury problems and the fact we're making do under the situation this season. Just cant be any more excuses now though.

It's like saying when we are having a positive spell the other manager is being negative.

We have been negative this season but we were last. The entire season from top to bottom has been a shambles apart from a good European run, we've made some good signings, just hoping we are in the right division to use them,.

I'm with keegan on his apprasal of Jonas, despite some shortcomings in his game now - he gives everything he has all game long. I have no doubt he does inspire other players to try harder when they play alongside him on the left.

It's a shame, I've been a great fan of him over the years - especially his attitude over the years , but I can't see him in the first team this year. To drop our hardest working player in the current situation though isn't something I'd do.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice one Jonas.

I'm not saying we should treat every player as if they're Messi, but I couldn't bring myself to go on something like Twitter and say something like the above to them. I might not rate them but I'll keep that to myself, whilst I support this club I'll support them too. Especially someone like Jonas, who might not be the most gifted player but does put in the hard graft and cares for the football club.

Edited by Monroe Transfer

Agreed, didnt have the best of seasons but has been a good player for us generally and one of those players whose importance you realise only after they are gone.

What do you say about jonas that hasn't already been said? His end product is frustrating as always but he's still probably the hardest working player at the club and we look way more flimsy defensively when he's not playing. Currently he's a first choice player, despite having a poor season, because we're easier to beat when he's out.

Nice one Jonas.

I'm not saying we should treat every player as if they're Messi, but I couldn't bring myself to go on something like Twitter and say something like the above to them. I might not rate them but I'll keep that to myself, whilst I support this club I'll support them too. Especially someone like Jonas, who might not be the most gifted player but does put in the hard graft and cares for the football club.

I had a pop at Owen on Twitter over the weekend....but even with that odious scrote, who deserves it, I removed the "@" when retweeting him, because I'm not a cock who uses Twitter to bully and abuse.

Can't imagine what drives fans to do it to one of the hardest working players at the club.

shame you can't combine the best bits of marveaux and guitierrez's game as you'd have some player instead of two who frustrate for different reasons. jonas is in the team on merit though ahead of marveaux. even his biggets critics will likely acknowledge that - there simply isn't anyone int he squad currently that can do a better job.

Get rid.

still a good squad player to have. just in an ideal world, there'd be someone better starting ahead of him.

that player is not marveaux.

I would keep him but he isn't a first choice as he offers fucking nothing in the final third.

For a second I thought you were talking about Elliot...

No, I've no idea why either.

He has lost a lot of the attacking spark that he used to have, and I wonder how much longer we can afford to find a place in the team for him at LW. All the same, he consistently puts in one of the hardest shifts of any player, can always be found covering, will play most any position, and loves the club. We could do worse tbh.

He has lost a lot of the attacking spark that he used to have, and I wonder how much longer we can afford to find a place in the team for him at LW. All the same, he consistently puts in one of the hardest shifts of any player, can always be found covering, will play most any position, and loves the club. We could do worse tbh.

Yup. Good player to have in the squad. Ideally we will buy a better winger and he can become a James Perch type utility player that can come in and cover three or four positions

He's a grafter, and a good squad player, but he's had a woeful season and he should not be in the 1st team if we want to seriously compete. This is not a personal criticism of the lad, he works hard but he's piss poor at defending and gives us nothing coming forward anymore. Unfortunately Pardew's refusal to take him off on numerous occasions when he's been awful probably mean he'll be a certain starter all next season as well.

But he's not piss poor at defending. His positional awareness is very good, meaning the opposition will quite often choose a different pass. Stuff like this is possibly why he has a poor reputation from those who only ever see us on TV, as it'll never be picked up by the cameras.

Dont think his passing is good enough to play consistently at that role. Tiote has struggled for the same reason this season.

Really hope he can raise his game next year because as much as I like him he really has to offer more to warrant a regular starting position.

But he's not piss poor at defending. His positional awareness is very good, meaning the opposition will quite often choose a different pass. Stuff like this is possibly why he has a poor reputation from those who only ever see us on TV, as it'll never be picked up by the cameras.

Well as someone who goes (thanks) he's weak as piss in the tackle and on Sunday when I watched him (although it is difficult being that 30 foot away, and the sun was bright, and the wind was a tad blustery so forgive me) he gets caught ball watching a lot. Hey, if people want him to continue as a first team player I have no problem with that, as long as people also accept we're not really going to compete for anything.

I didn't imply you didn't go to the game - I was referring to his reputation amongst those who never get to any games for one reason or another.

Did you also see the 50/50 he flew into as the last man, after sprinting 40 yards to meet Walcott in the second half? That doesn't strike me as someone weak in the tackle.

As I said before, much of his strength is in his positioning, which often negates the need to dive into challenges.