Tottenham Hotspur v Newcastle United

Christmas Tree

Lets be honest Tottenham were brilliant second half, but it was all so predictable. I even said it at half time, he'll be telling the lads not to cross the half way line, and so it proved. That win was more down to luck than anything else but I don't care, I love it. Just a shame Danny B wasn't still on toontastic, his reaction will have been hilarious.

I'll come out with a sentence I never thought possible. "If we keep defending well MIKE WILLIAMSON has a chance of Barclays Premier League Player of the Month".

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We needed to find another mode in between ''attack'' and ''defend''. There's nothing wrong just keeping the ball & whilst Pardew had clearly accepted we weren't going to outpass them it doesn't mean everything has to be a forward pass.

We lost a little bit of grip when we took Shola off as the majority of Spurs chances came after that as we had nobody to hold it up & let us grow into the attack. I'll take luck any day of the week because like anybody else on here there's been days I've paid my money, sat in the stand & after the match wondered if we were suffering from a gypsy curse.

Our back 5 were absolutely amazing - particularly Krul. We were really under the cosh and everybody must have got numerous blocks, headers & clearances to their name.

Whilst I thought our tactical approach was terrible we fought tooth & nail and pulled off a very impressive result. It's nice to see the derby hasn't got their heads down - but this may be for the same reasons they couldn't get into it in the first place.

The unexpected 6 points brought in from the last two games are looking important. Two of the bottom three have picked up points recently as that's where we would have been heading had these results gone as expected.

Credit to Pardew's motivational skills but tactically he's dipped his hand in a bucket of shit & picked out a £20 note.

Krul's performance yesterday was the best I've seen from a keeper since Schmichel's against us the season we finished second. That double (trebble?) save from the freekick and Mbiwa's clearance were unbelievable.

I didn't get to see the first half due to having a half ten kick off myself yesterday so I don't think I saw the best us football wise but the battling qualities we showed in the second half (and against Chelsea and the bin dippers) were fantastic. Although the fact that they were so absent against the tramps is even more annoying now.

Great result though no matter how far we were pushed back in the second half!

We rode our luck second half but tough bollocks. Love beating Spurs, cockney mackems.

We still have problems all over the park at times but I think when the mood takes us the team link up really well and play some lovely stuff. There is definitely the foundation of a decent starting 11 there. The problem is 1) doing it for 90 minutes 2) doing it over the season.

Knowing this team we'll be shit against Norwich and get beat. :lol:

It's exactly what someone (Tom maybe?) said a couple of weeks ago. We are a mid table team so by definition we will end up being inconsistant. The consistent teams finish either up the top (if they're consistantly good) or down the bottom (if they're consistantly bad).

Edited by David Kelly

It's exactly what someone (Tom maybe?) said a couple of weeks ago. We are a mid table team so by definition we will end up being inconsistant. The consistent teams finish either up the top (if they're consistantly good) or down the bottom (if they're consistantly bad).

Aye, exactly. We are a proper mid table team. The Chelsea game probably sums us up. Weak as piss and unable to string anything together first half, tearing them a new arsehole for a period of the game in the 2nd. Absolutely proper mid table team.

Just as an aside, did you hear Pardew getting in a dig about Spurs definitely being knackered first half because of the Europa League? Nice little bit of 'See! I told you! I was right all last season! Look! See! None of you would believe me. Did you see?' :lol:

Except Villas-Boas said that was bollocks.

Well given how many changes Spurs have made for the European games there's absolutely no reason for them to suffer from tiredness. The can argue that they don't have time to prepare for the league games after a game in the wafer cup but not tiredness.

I think Pardew was using the wrong team to try and stir this up again. It would have carried more weight saying it about Swansea.

Aye, exactly. We are a proper mid table team. The Chelsea game probably sums us up. Weak as piss and unable to string anything together first half, tearing them a new arsehole for a period of the game in the 2nd. Absolutely proper mid table team.

Just as an aside, did you hear Pardew getting in a dig about Spurs definitely being knackered first half because of the Europa League? Nice little bit of 'See! I told you! I was right all last season! Look! See! None of you would believe me. Did you see?' :lol:

Except Villas-Boas said that was bollocks.

aye. came across like a right patronising bell end in that interview.

He didn't say they were tired did he? I thought it was AVB who inferred that?

Pardew's point that there is not enough rest has been re-iterated by Mourinho and is being played out perfectly by Spurs and Swansea. Doesn't matte what AVB said, Laudrup said the same as AVB when questioned on it last season despite the fact Getafe's form was atrocious after the EL when he managed them and Swansea are now suffering too.

Pardew has every right to say it given the stark evidence.

He didn't say they were tired did he? I thought it was AVB who inferred that?

Pardew's point that there is not enough rest has been re-iterated by Mourinho and is being played out perfectly by Spurs and Swansea. Doesn't matte what AVB said, Laudrup said the same as AVB when questioned on it last season despite the fact Getafe's form was atrocious after the EL when he managed them and Swansea are now suffering too.

Pardew has every right to say it given the stark evidence.

mj1vkg.jpg

mj1vkg.jpg

I don't think the results in August count, or e.g. the result after the second leg of the qualifier where Swansea were already 5-1 up (they lost the second leg but won the following prem game). It counts more once the season gets going and since September, Swansea haven't won a premier league game after a Europe game.

As Boas said yesterday it's a load of bollocks and a shit excuse. Squads should be big enough to deal with it, the fact Tottenham were better in the second half only emphasise his point. It's a lazy excuse. You just need to look at 02/03 for us. http://nufc.com/html/2002-03fixtures.html 16 league games after Midweek European fixtures P16 W14 D2 L0.

That's the champions league. I think the extra day or 2 makes the difference. If there was a week between European games and prem games this wouldn't be a discussion. It's not 'Europe', it's traveling back on Friday and playing Sunday.

Since September Swansea have not won and Spurs have lost twice. Spurs won after a piss easy home game against Tromso and that was the Cardiff game they made hard work of.

That's the champions league. I think the extra day or 2 makes the difference. If there was a week between European games and prem games this wouldn't be a discussion. It's not 'Europe', it's traveling back on Friday and playing Sunday.

Since September Swansea have not won and Spurs have lost twice. Spurs won after a piss easy home game against Tromso and that was the Cardiff game they made hard work of.

If you look at the link I provided. We played the mackems 56 hours after playing in Kiev, and won. Played WBA four days after being in Italy and won and so on. I couldn't agree more with Villas Boas, and the point becomes even more solid when you think in our case last season and certainly Tottenham's case, in many of these games we were starting with 7 and 8 players who weren't starting league games. Pardew should have a first class honours degree in excuses, and be doing lectures about them at Oxford University.

My point is that 4 days is not 2 days, once you've had the extra days rest it doesnt matter if its 4 days or 8 days. Its also about training and preparation. 1 extra day makes a difference.

It doesnt really matter what i think or whether people's noses are out, the evidence speaks for itself. In the 6 prem games Swansea and Spurs have played after the EL since the international break in September, only 1 victory.

There are loads of other factors at play of course, the win, loss or draw following the European game is not determined solely by the existence of not of a european game. For example in 2002/3, as you well know, Sunderland were one of the worst sides ever to play in the premiership. We might well have been affected by the Kiev game, they were just shite.

The argument from AVB that their energy was better in the second half is specious too.

For that to be true it means 'making a sluggish start due to a mid-week game' is impossible and that 'the energy displayed in the second half of a game is purely down to attitude and not the score, crowd, performance of the opposition'.

None of which holds up to scrutiny. Laudrup said the same, we all know he was talking shit.

The quicker avb gets back to his bread and butter work in Lord of the rings the faster Spurs will be back on song. Bale used to score loads from outside the area, there is a reason for that. Extra games start to matter toward the end of the season just as smaller squads suffer after christmas.

Edited by Park Life