Newcastle United v Norwich City

Christmas Tree

No. Some of our best performances in 2010-11 and 11-12 came vs Liverpool, Man U, Chelsea. Last season we couldn't beat anyone, neither the Man U's or the mackems. And relax, tough guy. Smoke some more baccy.

The season we finished 5th, we consistently beat the sides in the bottom half of the table and was the reason why we did well. We came 5th because we backed up the games we should have won with one or two decent results against the top sides. Last season we couldn't beat anyone but claiming that Pardew is a small club manager and can only beat the top sides because of it is talking shit.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The season we finished 5th, we consistently beat the sides in the bottom half of the table and was the reason why we did well. We came 5th because we backed up the games we should have won with one or two decent results against the top sides. Last season we couldn't beat anyone but claiming that Pardew is a small club manager and can only beat the top sides because of it is talking shit.

I agree, and I never said that. Pardew prefers not having to control games/dominate possession, that's what I said. And of course when you've managed Charlton, Southampton, Reading and West Ham that's often the case and it becomes natural. Look at Moyes, he's having problems with the transition as Man U of course is seeing more of the ball than their opponents in most games, unlike Everton. They beat Arsenal yesterday, the possession was 40-60 in Arsenal's favour. Moyes/Pardew still prefers that, it's still natural for them.

Edited by hostile_statue

I would change things up. Not just because Debuchy is going to miss the game which impacts not only the back four, but also our attack, but I also think the opposition will be ask different questions.

Norwich won't be dominating possession, they will be looking to stifle us and the formation/system we got so right against Spurs and Chelsea would lead to a stalemate; two teams looking to stop the other playing and given our options I think we should give them a different proposition to face.

If we play Santon on the right hand side and Haidara on the left we'll have 2 very attacking fullbacks, but Norwich's danger come from the right flank. Snodgrass is really dangerous in my opinion. However, if we control the centre, I think we can nullify him and I honestly believe we can control the centre.

I'd stick with the same two centre halves. Tiote has been playing well, so I'd stick with him. I'd want to get Ben Arfa on as I think he'd cause their fullbacks real problems, more so than Sissoko and while Moussa hasn't done anything wrong, I don't think their fullbacks would struggle as much with the more direct running of MS.

Start Cisse, I know Shola has played well, but I just think if any game was going to give him the opportunity to finally break this streak.

Krul

Santon MYM Willo Haidara

Tiote

HBA Cabaye Gouffran

Remy

Cisse

If we haven't broken them down by the hour mark, bring on Shola and Sissoko to and some strength and directness to our play.

I'd like to give Cisse a go too but Im not sure him and Remy in the centre will ever work. Perhaps HBA and Remy on either side of him in a 433?

Mind I dont think Pards is going to go with anything close to that line up.

In a strange kind of way I think this game is more of a test for Pardew than the last two games.

I'd turn that around and say it's also a test of some of his players whose attitude can veer from committed to blase match to match depending on the opposition.

This is exactly the sort of fixture that we tend to lose, turning up thinking the game is a banker and put in a shit performance. Surely that won't happen again?

we should be learning now. i feel very confident about any game with remy in the team. i think he might bring ben arfa back in for this fixture as a plus point.

Mate of mine is a Norwich fan and did a low-rent Gone Fishing for me.

What was different about the West Ham game?
Possibly surprisingly, for people who've just seen the scorelines, not all that much. The main difference in the Wet Spam game is that we got the "rub of the green" (to use the old cliché). After a slow start we completely dominated Stoke away, although only managed the one goal, then had a very good game against Chelsea where we looked the more likely to take the 3 points, however Chelsea being Chelsea, managed to hit us on the break as they're want to do. The biggest frustration came against Cardiff where we had 31 shots but failed to convert any, which lead to a collapse against Man U & Man City.
West Ham didn't look too much different in terms of how we played, but we managed to convert a few chances where we've before come up short.

Who's been your best players (and who do you think will be a threat to us)?
The early frontrunners for POTS are easily Leroy Fer & Jonny Howson. Most of the good bits of play we've had this season have come through one of those centre two. Howson especially has been at the centre of most of our good attacking play, so preventing him from his marauding runs forward will be key to Newcastle stifling us. Nathan Redmond has also impressed so far on the wing, although Hughton seems to be protecting him a bit, so may not start.
Why are you in the position you are?
It's taken us a while to gel under Hughton. After what were an incredible 3 years with Lambert it was always going to be difficult to adapt to a new style of play, especially one that seems to have a diametrically opposite football philosophy. Hughton's bought some really good players, but they're not all on the same wave-length with each other, or the older players (some of whom, let's not forget, were with us in League 1). The question still remains whether he's the right man to get them working well together, perhaps he's bought some very good players for another manager.
Will Hughton see out the Season?
That's the million dollar question, he's certainly skating on thin ice (yeah, I'm going to stick with the clichés). He seems to have the backing of the board at the moment, and I think as long as he can pull us a bit further from the relegation zone he'll probably be safe. The next few games are crucial though. As I mentioned earlier I didn't think there was all that much different in the West Ham game but we definitely need a difference in results and fast. It didn't feel like we changed so much that we can expect an immediate upturn in results (although the Stoke game did and look how that ended up!) however it should build up the belief in the club a bit. I know it's a bit of a cop out but I think I'll have to answer "we'll see"
A lot of people thought van Wolfswinkel would do well in the Premier League, any ideas what's gone wrong?
Injuries haven't helped, nor has the formation we've been playing. It's also worth remembering that it does take some players longer to settle in than others, apparently when he joined Sporting Lisbon it took him around 10 games to really get going but then couldn't stop scoring. Watching him play he is making the runs you'd expect from him, and working very hard, but we haven't been getting the ball to him in the right positions. Partly that's a case of the players around him getting used to what he's doing so they can anticipate it, and partly it's a case of needing to commit more players forward to support him (he tends to be playing the lone striker role). Hopefully he can return from his current injury soon (he *should* be fit for the Newcastle game), I still think he's going to turn out to be a good signing, we just need to give him more time (and break a lot faster than we currently are, most of our attacking play is just too slow)
Which NUFC player are you most worried about?
I've not actually watched much of NUFC this season so it's kind of hard to say. Obviously Remy is banging in the goals for you so I'm guessing we'll have to keep an eye on him. Krul's also been impressive, as a goalie I wouldn't say I'm "worried" about him, but if it's a close game he has the ability to be the difference.
What do you predict the score will be?

Newcastle should be on a high after two really good results, add into that our poor away form it'll be really hard for us to get anything out of the game. The optimist in me says we'll spring a surprise, but the realist says 2-0 magpies.

Fish man, how did he know Ollie's a shortarse? We're being stalked. <_<

You mean you've not noticed HMHM in a mac and trilby, reading a paper with eye-holes cut out?

I'd be really tempted to try Gouff & Remy upfront some time this season against one of the weaker teams. I think it could work quite well.

Gouffran isn't a natural finisher and his work rate would be wasted up there. Also, we'd be exposed on the flank as whomever were to take that role, it's unlikely they'd play to the standard he has.

Gouffran isn't a natural finisher and his work rate would be wasted up there. Also, we'd be exposed on the flank as whomever were to take that role, it's unlikely they'd play to the standard he has.

Jonas down the left, Sissoko on the right, Gouffran and Ameobi up top. #Workhorse11

Exposing the flank - Pardew has brainwashed you man.

Exposing the flank - Pardew has brainwashed you man.

The system Pardew plays leaves us light on the wings whenever the fullback is caught attacking, Gouffran does bust a gut, but I can't imagine Ben Arfa, Obertan, MArveuax or Zaha doing the same.

Santon is not yet the full back that can patrol the entire flank by himself, Tiote isn't yet reliable enough to provide cover to that side