US election 2016

Happy Face

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact the debate didn't end Trump's candidacy will please most Democrats. They would much rather he stays on the ticket.

Not sure he could even be replaced at this stage anyway tbh.

Hillary 11 points up according to NBC/WSJ.

I noticed Fox News were referring to her having a 'single digit lead' prior to last night's debate.

Not mentioning the fact that it's still a landslide in realistic terms even at single digits.

The fact the debate didn't end Trump's candidacy will please most Democrats. They would much rather he stays on the ticket.

Not sure he could even be replaced at this stage anyway tbh.

Some people have already cast early votes so I can't see how they can pull him from the ticket now.

I think he has completely shot himself in the foot this time mind, there are of course people writing this off, including some women (in fact the BBC put up a video on facebook this morning of a Hispanic Female Trump supporter group defending him over it, honestly it's like a fucking parody), but I think with a lot of the major Republicans now turning against him he'll possibly lose a lot of the more level headed Republican votes. I don't know how you could vote for this bloke and then be comfortable with that decision, I get they hate Hillary but this bloke is heinous.

Aye, it's not like any hardcore Republicans are especially going to switch to Hillary now or anything, but you assume a lot of the more moderate Republican vote will just not turn out at all (or vote for a third-party candidate or a write-in) which is obviously effectively halfway to voting for Hillary anyway in such a polarised system.

I was watching it this morning, wondering if he's now realised he's lost and will try to maintain some dignity and lose by as little as possible.

Personally, I hope he goes full Trump and fucks his business reputation even more than he already has.

Aye, it's not like any hardcore Republicans are especially going to switch to Hillary now or anything, but you assume a lot of the more moderate Republican vote will just not turn out at all (or vote for a third-party candidate or a write-in) which is obviously effectively halfway to voting for Hillary anyway in such a polarised system.

Agreed, I expect a lot will either not turn up or may vote for Johnson or one of the other independents. Which like you say strengthens Hillary's vote. 

Oh aye and Warren Buffett has retaliated over Trumps daft remark that Buffett doesn't pay taxes:

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2016/10/10/13228628/warren-buffett-donald-trump-taxes

There was an episode of This American Life in February that interviewed a black gay teenage Trump supporter.

He said it was because Trump was the only right wing supporter of gay marriage and as a gay conservative it's rare to find someone with right wing policies but who wants gays to be able to marry too.

But when Trump flipped on gay marriage, he didn't withdraw his support. He said he'd still vote for Trump, against his own interests.

Ultimately, he concluded he was drawn to Trump's perceived power. Which goes some way (anecdotally) to explain how his numbers go relatively unharmed by whatever shit he spouts.

http://m.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/580/transcript

Given that Trump is now shot, I suppose I can at lest resume hating the establishment without feeling conflicted about it. Hopefully we get a more credible candidate next time.

There was an episode of This American Life in February that interviewed a black gay teenage Trump supporter.

He said it was because Trump was the only right wing supporter of gay marriage and as a gay conservative it's rare to find someone with right wing policies but who wants gays to be able to marry too.

But when Trump flipped on gay marriage, he didn't withdraw his support. He said he'd still vote for Trump, against his own interests.

Ultimately, he concluded he was drawn to Trump's perceived power. Which goes some way (anecdotally) to explain how his numbers go relatively unharmed by whatever shit he spouts.

http://m.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/580/transcript

Interesting that HF, it seems he is really drawn to Trump's stance on ISIS despite him trying to make it seem like it's only the economics he likes.

They had a few people on after the debate discussing their views, 2 bald, fat, white blokes who were pro-Trump and thought he had won the debate at a canter (:lol:), 2 women who disliked Trump, and then a black lad who said he started off supporting Trump as he was scared of immigrants coming in and the threat of attacks but had switched in recent weeks as Hillary "will do more for inner cities", seemed a bit of a cop out by him to me as I think he just finally realized what a horrible piece of work Trump is.

Given that Trump is now shot, I suppose I can at lest resume hating the establishment without feeling conflicted about it. Hopefully we get a more credible candidate next time.

Unfortunately, Clinton's nailed on to lose in 4 years time.  So we have that to look forward to.

Unfortunately, Clinton's nailed on to lose in 4 years time. So we have that to look forward to.

Is she? I don't think there was anyone in the Republican field who would have beaten her this year.

A quick glance through didn't turn up anything too controversial. I'm guessing that if there was then we'd have heard about it by now. Of course Trump has done Clinton a massive favour by completely attracting all the attention over the last few days.

A quick glance through didn't turn up anything too controversial. I'm guessing that if there was then we'd have heard about it by now. Of course Trump has done Clinton a massive favour by completely attracting all the attention over the last few days.

The intercept has been doing regular stories on the most consequential quotes from there while the rest of the media focus on pussy grabbing.

https://theintercept.com/search/?s=clinton