US election 2016

Happy Face

i've been covering the web summit in lisbon today so didn't have much time to follow the aftermath on social media or on here, but i've still been absorbed by it as all our stories had to be dropped or repurposed. owen jones was almost inconsolable on stage. it was one of those days i wish i'd been in the newsroom for once tbh - always the best place to be when a momentous news story unfolds.

and then i witnessed this

[tweet]

[/tweet]

Crikey. Reminded me of Walter from the big lebowski when I said this shit will not stand

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good read

yes. i have been struggling to make sense of what happened all day. it's like we're living in some strange parallel universe. the first thing i noticed on my facebook feed this morning was contempt, the majority of people were reacting first with disgust at all the moronic americans, then came the wry humour, memes and gifs. 

once you get past all that, you have to accept that not everyone who voted for trump is an idiot. some of them are just normal people with shit lives, who finally felt they had someone to speak to their interests, so they looked past all his racism, sexism and lies. 

the great irony is, of course, that the guy they voted for is silver spoon establishment - hardly a working class hero. what a mess. 

watching CNN, some republican bod they had one reckons he will build the wall. uttery bonkers, but he has his mandate so, ok. and reckoned he will see his trade policies through. honestly, if this protectionist shit goes ahead - and why wouldn't it given the control they now have over congress, the ensuing trade war could make the 2008 crash look like a walk in the park. 

Have to wait and see, there is still the chance he chills the fuck out. We have our man leading the transition team and apparently he was one of the few voices that got through to him in the last few weeks getting him to tone down the messages. He is going to lead on the staff appointments over the next 8 weeks and is a very reasonable man. If he can get the right people appointed then the view is things will / should go well. Apparently what everyone fears is Trump's impetuous nature and him over riding the careful planning the transition team have been doing on staff. They are desperately trying to put moderate informed voices around him but there is no guarantee he will accept them.

Good insight there. Depressingly most people will refuse to see the causes underpinning these things. Much like terrorism or other major issues.

WIKILEAKS!!!!

(despite months of belittling wikileaks email revelations as irrelevances)

See Huffington Post has withdrawn the policy of referring to Trump as a racist. Ingratiating themselves with the new establishment.

http://talkradio.co.uk/news/donald-trump-will-do-deal-britain-unlike-loathsome-creature-obama-says-nigel-farage-1611106451

Lovely to see fine upstanding individuals like these being able to claim the high ground. We've all taken back control. :good:

And throwing in a joke about Sexual assault for good measure. ROFL ROFL ROFL.

It'll get worse before it gets better IMO :(

Plus, even if I'm wrong about the whole Neoliberalism shit and this is just an entirely racist and misogynistic event like the fantasists are saying, in 4 years time Trump will have done such a horrifying job that the US will probably be about ready to elect its first black lesbian President, let alone the first woman.

I'm obviously concerned about the impact it might have on friends there - one is a gay Muslim who fled the Bosnian war in the assumption that the US would be a safer place :lol: - but you have to think and hope that the structures of government will de-fang Trump somewhat (and just wait and see what happens with his more rabid supporters in the meantime). Otherwise there's nowt you can do really - America's always going to be a bit different and a bit more shooty - and while ridiculing the electorate is part of the problem that led us here in the first place, ridiculing and finding gallows humour in the absurdity of the situation is totally valid and pretty much how I deal with everything in life anyway, so bring it on. :good:

I'm obviously concerned about the impact it might have on friends there - one is a gay Muslim who fled the Bosnian war in the assumption that the US would be a safer place :lol: - but you have to think and hope that the structures of government will de-fang Trump somewhat (and just wait and see what happens with his more rabid supporters in the meantime). Otherwise there's nowt you can do really - America's always going to be a bit different and a bit more shooty - and while ridiculing the electorate is part of the problem that led us here in the first place, ridiculing and finding gallows humour in the absurdity of the situation is totally valid and pretty much how I deal with everything in life anyway, so bring it on. :good:

I very much think he'll tone it down. I can't see him rescinding any civil liberties to be honest, although I do see how his election opens the door for hateful actions.

He's already removed a number of his campaign promises from his website, including the barring Muslims from entering the country bit.

Interesting information from one of the exit polls...

Rejecting the candidate who had aimed to be America’s first female president, 53% of white women voted for Trump, according to CNN exit polls.

White women without a college degree supported Trump over Hillary Clinton by nearly a two to one margin. White women with a college degree were more evenly divided, with 45% supporting Trump, compared with 51% supporting Clinton.

Interesting information from one of the exit polls...

Rejecting the candidate who had aimed to be America’s first female president, 53% of white women voted for Trump, according to CNN exit polls.

White women without a college degree supported Trump over Hillary Clinton by nearly a two to one margin. White women with a college degree were more evenly divided, with 45% supporting Trump, compared with 51% supporting Clinton.

That's surprising I imagined all women on earth hated him. ;)

Edited by Park Life

It's all internalised misogyny, clearly. Or maybe they care about more than the gender identity of the candidate? Nah, couldn't be that...

That said, they could still all be racists :lol: also 94% of black women voted for Clinton, so it's not like he won with all sectors there.

Edited by Rayvin

It's all internalised misogyny, clearly. Or maybe they care about more than the gender identity of the candidate? Nah, couldn't be that...

That said, they could still all be racists :lol: also 94% of black women voted for Clinton, so it's not like he won with all sectors there.

I'm not having it. All black people, gays, Latino's and women hate Trump. It was made clear in the polls and the rolling coverage. He only won because of the racist poor white man vote. :)