US election 2016

Happy Face

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not going to change your mind. You asked me what I would like. I told you. You told me I was wrong.

I can't be arsed.

Maybe tomorrow when the alternative is to do some work.

Don't bother tbh. I can't be arsed either.

:D

Genuinely interested to hear from others about US vs UK vs Europe. I've been to the US a few times and just would never fancy living there. Only the eastern seaboard so maybe that's why. Main negatives for me are the car culture and lack of pubs tbh. Also lack of holidays, probably the worst thing come to think of it.

US not in the top 10 QoL, UK at number 9 according to this US source. Canada wins, bit fucking cold though I'd have thought.

http://www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/quality-of-life-full-list

Fair enough, it's all personal preference at the end of the day. I personally don't fancy living in Canada or NZ and they both beat USA on that list, but some people love living in those places (as I'm sure Tooner and Kitman love where they live) and tbh I've never lived in either so I really don't know I've only visited Canada (liked it but would be too cold for me which is also my reason for not wanting to live in Boston which I thought was brilliant in the summer time) and I've never been to NZ as I assume it's a bit rural for me but I'm going soon so I might change my mind.

I think overall anywhere in the developed western world is good to live in, it just then comes down to personal preference and even then anywhere is going to have downsides and upsides.

Fair enough, it's all personal preference at the end of the day. I personally don't fancy living in Canada or NZ and they both beat USA on that list, but some people love living in those places (as I'm sure Tooner and Kitman love where they live) and tbh I've never lived in either so I really don't know I've only visited Canada (liked it but would be too cold for me which is also my reason for not wanting to live in Boston which I thought was brilliant in the summer time) and I've never been to NZ as I assume it's a bit rural for me but I'm going soon so I might change my mind.

I think overall anywhere in the developed western world is good to live in, it just then comes down to personal preference and even then anywhere is going to have downsides and upsides.

How many holidays a year do you have, if you don't mind me asking? Can you walk to the pub/restaurants/shops? I think it's the car culture (outside the big cities) that I found most off-putting, not sure how representative my experiences have been though.

Upstate NY is dodgy tbh, it's another world really. Shame that these types think Trump's win gives them legitimacy but I'm sure it'll settle down, those people were there before this.

I do think a lot of it is being blown out of hand and there is definitely some lying/embellishment, I read a story about a woman who was feeling victimized after being 'glared' at by a man when she was speaking Spanish on the phone, and then a lad who goes to a Uni in the Bronx said he was walking to get a slice of pizza when a bloke in a car drove past called him a 'faggot' and threw a rock at him, perhaps it happened but it seems a bit of a coincidence that a random bloke driving past knew he was gay and chose to insult him. 

How many holidays a year do you have, if you don't mind me asking? Can you walk to the pub/restaurants/shops? I think it's the car culture (outside the big cities) that I found most off-putting, not sure how representative my experiences have been though.

The holidays are definitely a downside, I get 14 days per year but that doesn't count the week off everyone at my company gets for Christmas and I'm very early in my career here (you also get all those holidays like Memorial day that are effectively bank holidays). Either way aye it's not great and the UK offices certainly get more time off.

I'm quite fortunate that I live in a somewhat similar town to where I lived back home, there's nowhere near as many pubs for sure which is a miss but I can walk to the restaraunts/pubs/shops in town, however as I say I'm fortunate there are lots of towns around mine that you can't so you're not incorrect about that. You're definitely in the car more than in the UK, I don't mind driving personally but I know a lot of my mates would be sick to the back teeth of it. 

I'm only about a 35-40 minute train to NYC which is similar to what my metty trip to town was which I guess is a plus, I can't say I'd have ever pushed to move here if I didn't meet my wife as I was happy at home but I'm definitely happy here.

He might have been wearing a dress.

:lol: :lol:

Maybe. It still doesn't explain the rock handy in the blokes car, unless the bloke is a rock collector in his free time and was on his way to show his mate one of the rocks he'd found but I think that's a stretch.

i love the US. i have spent a lot of time on the west coast and the east coast over the years and would happily live in several places there. it's a big decision to make because i've got two kids, have lived in london for 16 years, my 5 year old is happy and excelling in school and i have a solid support network of family here, who help look after my 2 year old.

i've had an issue with the second amendment bullshit. the gun culture has always been the one thing that has made me question whether it's a place i'd want to bring my kids up in, but the chances are it would have little impact on my life there. the sad reality is the majority of people killing each other with guns are poor and desperate people. 

unlike a lof people, i love the sincerity of the yanks, it's endearing, they're a friendly, hospitable bunch in the main, if a bit loud for some. personally, i admire their natural confidence and enthusiasm and i enjoy the service culture and the food. 

i love california and its wide variety of natural beauty from the striking coastline to the mountains and deserts. the holiday thing isn't an issue either as i work for a UK company so i'd get the same benefits as i do here, plus a raise and a housing allowance. though american holidays and a hit to the work-life balance is something that puts the wife off, especially as she works in financial services and would have to find a new employer.  

the positives outweigh the negatives but trump as president definitely contributes to the negatives, partially because it's such an unknown. i think he could bring the worst out of the country. i've only really been to the two coasts. there are a whole load of hick towns sandwiched between. 

. there are a whole load of hick towns sandwiched between. 

:lol: 

Aye the interior of the country can get a bit dicey but as you said with the gun thing not having too much impact on you since you'd be on the coast as a white bloke the most inconvenience you'd run into in the central states is conversations sometimes taking a sharp left turn. 

I think it would be a really tough choice with kids, I personally wouldn't let Trump's rise influence the decision too much unless of course you just don't want to be associated with the country because of it, places like California wont feel as nuts as other places due to him coming in tbh. It's a bit rough with your wife having to find another job, especially in FS which is one of those areas where the holidays over here really are shite.

I guess that's the point, the states are such a vast and heterogeneous place it's a bit nonsensical summarising it as a single destination. I had some very unedifying experiences in North Carolina, but who the fuck in the right mind would move there?

The other issue is money. A lot of places are okay if you're minted. Even so, the idea of gated communities you get in some regions isn't appealing.